The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SiAnY
I think that's my main problem really, not knowing what to say.

That's excellent, that you have an idea of the main problem, as it makes things so much easier to solve! A possible way forward is to grill close friends who have jobs, and found out the questions they were asked and what they said, which'll give you an idea of what to expect. It might also help to imagine scenarios in your head, because a few mental rehearsals may help to build your confidence.

Oh, and I didn't have an interview for my old job (I left today, sob), which was an evening cleaning job in an office. If you want to look into that (because it's easy work!), then what you'd have to do is go into an office block and ask the person at the front desk if it is possible to speak to whoever's in charge of cleaning. They'll probably go and get them, and all you'd have to ask then is "Hi, I was wondering if you had any vacancies for cleaning jobs?" After I did this the first time, I was told to write my details on a piece of paper, and they'd call me if anything came up. They never did, so I tried again about a year later, after my boyfriend had gotten a job there, and I was just given a few forms and I had a job!

If you know someone who works in a kind of job that you'd like, ask them to give minute details of how they got it and then do the same thing if possible! In many cases, it's as simple as going up to the first person you see working and ask, "Do you know if there are any vacancies here?" or something like, "Do you know who I need to ask about bar work/shop assistant jobs/vacancies/other generic term?"

Good luck!
at the minute I am a restaurant manager and I have interviewed a few people in my time. (though for me, being the interviewer is pretty nerve-racking too!) Right, because you are shy I would immediatly cross off door to door sales, or really any type of sales. Jobs like this require an enthuastic outgoing approach while confronting people in their own environments. Not very comfortable for some people! Shop work would be good, especially somewhere small and intimate where you can build up your skills and confidence. Same goes for restaurants/hotels. A good family run/independent place will usually take you under their wing and are more sympathetic than large companies. I take it that you haven't gone to a job interview before? There is nothing you can really prepare for. Just go in looking your best, arrive early and give yourself a few minutes to get comfortable with your surroundings. People tend to become withdrawn when they are shy, so remember to smile. No matter what interview you go for, this are the primary questions you will be looking at:

How old are you?
Are you a student?
Are you looking for full/part time work?
Do you have any holiday commitments?
Do you have any experience?
Why are you interested in this job?
When can you start?

Questions for you to ask them:

Is the pay monthly/weekly/fortnightly?
How much is the pay?

It may also help if you go for a job somewhere that you are already familiar with, maybe a shop you like to visit. Something that you may enjoy is working at a hospital or old persons home. Caring for people can be very rewarding and the positive comments you recive will also help you overcome your shyness. Working with animals is also a good one. My first job was at a vets surgery and although I didn't speak to any of the people I loved spending time with the animals! Just remember that a job interview won't make or break who you are and not getting a job isn't the end of the world. Once you have done one you will feel a lot better. No interview for basic rate jobs will go into great depth or usually last long. (my shortest interview lasted exactly 3 minutes) Remember that there will always be other jobs out there for you, and smile!

Latest

Trending

Trending