Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Very soon I have to pick my A levels.

In the future I would like to go to University and study something along the lines of business/ economics

I have to pick 4 AS levels, and I am certain of 3
    1. Business Studies
    2. Economics
    3. Politics

For a fourth I cant decide between Maths and ICT. I have an A* in Maths and am predicted ICT A* at GCSE. I cant decide between ICT or Maths at A level [Exam board would be CCEA]

I do quite enjoy doing the ICT GCSE course, but im really not liking further Maths GCSE, but that could be the teacher who is known to be bad

Any advice picking between those would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)

In the future I would like to go to University and study something along the lines of business/ economics

1. Business Studies
    2. Economics
    3. Politics

For a fourth I cant decide between Maths and ICT. I have an A* in Maths and am predicted ICT A* at GCSE. I cant decide between ICT or Maths at A level [Exam board would be CCEA]

Many thanks
    Adam
    Maths is a more open subject as it can lea onto many degrees. Kts also recognised well amongst all unis. I think you should take Maths. But at the end of the day its your call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonysharp11)
    Maths is a more open subject as it can lea onto many degrees. Kts also recognised well amongst all unis. I think you should take Maths. But at the end of the day its your call.
    Thanks. I probably should have added that I do quite enjoy doing the ICT GCSE course, but im really not liking further Maths GCSE, but that could be the teacher who is known to be bad.

When you mention KTS was that a typo?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I probably should have added that I do quite enjoy doing the ICT GCSE course, but im really not liking further Maths GCSE, but that could be the teacher who is known to be bad.

When you mention KTS was that a typo?
    Yeah lol sorry

If you've got an A* in GCSE Maths you're most likely to be fine. You'll have a shaky start but once you get into the swing of things you should do well. Personally I'd prefer a candidate who does maths over ICT. If you do further GCSE Maths, some of whats on there is actually whats on the AS course so if you can do that, you can definitely do A level Maths

ReputationRep:
    I know you've said you want to do business/economics at uni but maths would be more useful than any of the 3 you have said you have decided on. I have heard that some unis don't like econ and business to be taken to A2 as well, so you could drop business (as it is sometimes seen as soft) and pick up another subject which could be IT. I think doing maths, IT, econ and politics would work well. There's a decent overlap between politics and econ and there might be some link between maths and IT

ReputationRep:
    Maths would be stronger than ICT, also if your worried I find that maths at Alevel is quite different to GCSE so it may be better. Certainly with the subjects you have so far it appears that a degree in econ/politics is something you are interested in and so maths would be good for that.

ReputationRep:

1. Business Studies
    2. Economics
    3. Politics

I do quite enjoy doing the ICT GCSE course, but im really not liking further Maths GCSE, but that could be the teacher who is known to be bad

Many thanks
    Adam
    I think you should take maths. Its well respected goes well for taking ecomics/business at uni and also should leave your options open a bit more for if you did decide to take anything else.

ReputationRep:
    You always need maths to study an economics degree at a good University. Economics is actually less valuable when applying that Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonysharp11)
    Yeah lol sorry

If you've got an A* in GCSE Maths you're most likely to be fine. You'll have a shaky start but once you get into the swing of things you should do well. Personally I'd prefer a candidate who does maths over ICT. If you do further GCSE Maths, some of whats on there is actually whats on the AS course so if you can do that, you can definitely do A level Maths
    Yes, I am doing Further Maths but not particularly enjoying it. As I said it could be the teacher! I love the Statistics part, a wee bit of mechanics, but Pure Maths is just deadly!

Thanks for your advice

(Original post by Emma:-))
    I think you should take maths. Its well respected goes well for taking ecomics/business at uni and also should leave your options open a bit more for if you did decide to take anything else.
    Thanks. I will take this on board

(Original post by Flather)
    I know you've said you want to do business/economics at uni but maths would be more useful than any of the 3 you have said you have decided on. I have heard that some unis don't like econ and business to be taken to A2 as well, so you could drop business (as it is sometimes seen as soft) and pick up another subject which could be IT. I think doing maths, IT, econ and politics would work well. There's a decent overlap between politics and econ and there might be some link between maths and IT
    Thanks. Do you have any references that I could look into this with?

(Original post by Puffin Boffin)
    Maths would be stronger than ICT, also if your worried I find that maths at Alevel is quite different to GCSE so it may be better. Certainly with the subjects you have so far it appears that a degree in econ/politics is something you are interested in and so maths would be good for that.
    Thanks. In what way did you find it was different to GCSE? [Other than being more difficult]

ReputationRep:

1. Business Studies
    2. Economics
    3. Politics

Many thanks
    Adam
    I do maths A level with CCEA. I do quite like it, but it is quite similar to further maths GCSE (it was called additional maths when I did it at GCSE). Calculus, trig, mechanics, statistics (those last two are separate modules - you'll do either one or the other). If you prefer ICT, I'd say go with it. Maths A level isn't something to do if you don't particularly like Maths. Although I think that Maths is a requirement for Economics at uni (you'll have to check that, I might be wrong).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crozibear96)
    I do maths A level with CCEA. I do quite like it, but it is quite similar to further maths GCSE (it was called additional maths when I did it at GCSE). Calculus, trig, mechanics, statistics (those last two are separate modules - you'll do either one or the other). If you prefer ICT, I'd say go with it. Maths A level isn't something to do if you don't particularly like Maths. Although I think that Maths is a requirement for Economics at uni (you'll have to check that, I might be wrong).
    Thanks. I think I am the first, maybe second of it being called Further Maths.
    With further Maths, statistics not a problem, Mechanics relatively good. When it comes to all of pure, and a bit of mechanics I really don't understand!

Thanks for your advice. If you have any more advice, based on the fact you took maths with CCEA let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think I am the first, maybe second of it being called Further Maths.
    With further Maths, statistics not a problem, Mechanics relatively good. When it comes to all of pure, and a bit of mechanics I really don't understand!

Thanks for your advice. If you have any more advice, based on the fact you took maths with CCEA let me know!
    For CCEA maths, two thirds is pure maths and then the other third will be either the statistics or mechanics module - you'll do either one or the other. For AS, C1 and C2 are the pure maths modules and they're essential. You could probably do most of C1 with just your further maths knowledge, tbh. Your school decides if you do M1 (mechanics) or S1 (statistics). I did M1 at AS and most of it was in the add. maths GCSE spec - bodies on a slope, forces, friction. Then some is basic physics - Newton's laws, suvat equations (they're pretty simple). I'm doing S1 for A2 (along with the essential C3 and C4) and it's pretty simple.

Also, I just saw that you said that your FM teacher is quite bad. If that'll be the person teaching you pure maths at A level, it won't go too well. A level maths mixed with a bad teacher is a nightmare.

I had a friend who did AS ICT, and (from what I've heard) it'd go quite well with business. Not sure what exam board it was though.

ReputationRep:
    For CCEA maths, two thirds is pure maths and then the other third will be either the statistics or mechanics module - you'll do either one or the other. For AS, C1 and C2 are the pure maths modules and they're essential. You could probably do most of C1 with just your further maths knowledge, tbh. Your school decides if you do M1 (mechanics) or S1 (statistics). I did M1 at AS and most of it was in the add. maths GCSE spec - bodies on a slope, forces, friction. Then some is basic physics - Newton's laws, suvat equations (they're pretty simple). I'm doing S1 for A2 (along with the essential C3 and C4) and it's pretty simple.

Also, I just saw that you said that your FM teacher is quite bad. If that'll be the person teaching you pure maths at A level, it won't go too well. A level maths mixed with a bad teacher is a nightmare.

I had a friend who did AS ICT, and (from what I've heard) it'd go quite well with business. Not sure what exam board it was though.
    Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it

There is a 1 in 8 chance of getting that teacher again. I would say at least half of the teachers would be good to get

I am in mixed minds about what to do. I will have to look in depth to see if any particular uni courses require certain subjects

Thanks and if you have any more advice let me know

Adam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it

There is a 1 in 8 chance of getting that teacher again. I would say at least half of the teachers would be good to get

I am in mixed minds about what to do. I will have to look in depth to see if any particular uni courses require certain subjects

Thanks and if you have any more advice let me know

Adam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, good luck. If you wanna know anything else, just lemme know.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is one of the Russell Groups 'Facilitating subjects' which is basically the subjects that are normally required for course to get into their unis.
    http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

LSE list business as one of their 'non-preferred subjects'
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...uirements.aspx

Says here top unis prefer you not to have business and econ
    http://www.cife.org.uk/choosing-the-...-subjects.html

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE] Thanks. In what way did you find it was different to GCSE? [Other than being more difficult] [/QUOTE]

Um well at GCSE you do problems like electricity bills and other 'real life' stuff, at A-level it is much more pure maths like differentiation, trig etc. Fr me I found this more interesting and actually easier than GCSE. I guess it depends what parts of the GCSE course you like.

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck. If you wanna know anything else, just lemme know.
    Thanks, I will do

Thanks. In what way did you find it was different to GCSE? [Other than being more difficult]

Um well at GCSE you do problems like electricity bills and other 'real life' stuff, at A-level it is much more pure maths like differentiation, trig etc. Fr me I found this more interesting and actually easier than GCSE. I guess it depends what parts of the GCSE course you like.
    I really like the statistics stuff etc

(Original post by Flather)
    Maths is one of the Russell Groups 'Facilitating subjects' which is basically the subjects that are normally required for course to get into their unis.
    http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

LSE list business as one of their 'non-preferred subjects'
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...uirements.aspx

Says here top unis prefer you not to have business and econ
    http://www.cife.org.uk/choosing-the-...-subjects.html

Thanks, I will look into this

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldnt be doing economics AND business studies. Pick one or the other, many universities/employers wont consider them as worth 2 alevels

ReputationRep:
    Looking into it, the requirement for an economics degree would require Maths, and I wouldn't want to rule out the Economics degree yet, so I may be 'forced' to take Maths.

If I just did Maths for AS, and dropped for A2, would this still be OK for the Russell Group Unis?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.