The Student Room Group

What subjects are useful to combine with a language for degrees?

I want to study Spanish but I feel like studying it on it's own will restrict my job opportunities after I graduate, so what would be useful? Opens up career opportunities? etc
Maybe economics or business?Spanish is a very businessy language
Reply 2
Original post by sorayageorge
I want to study Spanish but I feel like studying it on it's own will restrict my job opportunities after I graduate, so what would be useful? Opens up career opportunities? etc

...or translation or media or sports studies or teaching English as a second language... There are all sorts of possibilities. Is there anything in particular that you're interested in? The chances are there will be somewhere that will let you incorporate it into a degree with Spanish and you can use the UCAS search tool to try and track down some options.
Reply 3
Law is a good choice, especially if you would like to translate for the EU. Although, translation studies does exist at undergraduate level.

Pretty much what people above have said:
Business, Law, International Relations, TESOL, Translating & Interpreting, Media, Communication, a second foreign language...

All those could lead into/be useful for specific careers.

But again, it depends where your interests lie. Don't study something extra just because you think you need it. Language graduates are very employable and the skills you'll acquire from your cultural modules are very transferable. So for example, I wouldn't recommend combining with say history, when you can do Spanish history modules on your language degree, unless you really want to do history specifically/in more depth etc.
It's really hard to find jobs where companies want english/spanish. German and French are much easier to find. I recommend combining Spanish with something such as business or marketing or economics. You will end up with a much better job. I wish someone had advised me to do this when I was making my decision!
Reply 6
Why don't you combine it with another language, which you can start from scratch (ab initio) at some unis. Twice the employability!

Hi sorayageorge,

At Bath university you have a few different options for combining your Spanish with another subject.
The first is doing Spanish with another language and European Studies (which is what I study). Bath offers Italian and Russian alongside Spanish which you can do ab initio. European Studies is also a really good subject as it covers a lot of topics and from second year you have the freedom to choose modules that focus more on what interests you.

The second option is doing Spanish with International Management. This course is really good and it's definitely an attractive degree to future employers as you'll have skills in management and the ability to speak a foreign language.

The final option is study Spanish and Politics. This combines the foreign language units with politics, economics, foreign policy, etc. If you're interested in politics this would definitely be a good choice.

You can find out more about all of these courses here. If you have any questions about Spanish at Bath, the courses we offer or the university in general, feel free to quote me and I'd be happy to answer them.

I hope this information has helped you learn about some of the options you have!

Carly
Second Year Modern Languages and European Studies student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending