Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I bought a house a few months ago; I've got spare rooms so I'm trying to rent them out just to get some extra money in. A colleague from work currently is renting out one of the doubles.

She doesn't clean up after herself. She'll cook, and the little spills etc that inevitable happen whilst cooking just don't get cleaned. On the very first day she was here, she cooked some sort of pasta, and this sauce she was cooking with went all over the hobs... where it remained for three days when I finally cleaned it up (I left it so long as I wanted to see if she would notice how tidy I leave the kitchen after use and got the hint that she should clean it). I cleaned it, and tried to make it obvious that I cleaned it but without actually mentioning it, a gentle hint type thing. She'll also cook too much food (every night, apparently) and will just leave it out overnight before binning it the next evening before she cooks again; I'm just like WELL IF YOU WERE GOING TO BIN IT ANYWAY WHY LEAVE IT OUT OVERNIGHT?!?

Then there's the microwave. She never seems to cover things up in the microwave, so every time I open it I get this smell of week old curry packets or something; and the inside of the microwave is like the hobs were, with bits of rice, sauce etc stuck to all of the sides.

The inside of the oven is exactly the same.

Anyway last week I was working away so wasn't at home. I purposely haven't mentioned cleaning up after herself yet because I wanted to see what state the kitchen would be in when I got back after a week away.. My dad actually dropped by to pick something up on the tuesday of last week, and he sent me a text saying "you need to speak to her, the kitchen is a mess", and he also left a note specifically asking her to clean the grill pan before all of the bits on it became stuck on. I came back yesterday to find that the grill pan hadn't been cleaned. The microwave is in its usual state (after she uses it, anyway) with bits of crap sprayed all over the inside of it. The floor just had crumbs everywhere, the working surfaces were the same + some slopped curry all over the place and there was also some sort of sauce on some of the cupboard doors.

Also in her first week she managed to stain her mattress (I found it when I put a mattress cover on her mattress, incidentally she agreed to bring a mattress cover but didn't so I bought one). She's also away this weekend so I had a little look at the mattress cover yesterday and... that's stained too. There's also a plate in her room which has some food on it that's been there for over 2 weeks. I expected she'd finally clean it up last week whilst I was away; I was apparently wrong.

So basically, what do I say to her? I want her to stay ideally as I like the rent she's paying and also it'll be a bit awkward to kick a work colleague out, but then if she goes I'll have no issues replacing her and surely the new person can't be as messy.

Am I being pedantic? I'm aware I grew up in a house which was probably overly-clean (my mum used to keep the place spotless) and I'm not expecting the same here but equally I don't want to go in the kitchen and see bits of crap everywhere and smell her meal from last night. If it were roles reversed and I was renting from her I'd make sure I left everything looking spotless, frankly I'd be embarrassed to leave someone else's home in the state she's leaving mine in.

tl;dr my lodger, who is a work colleague, doesn't in the slightest clean up after herself. What do I say?

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with that lady... I don't know what to say though.

I don't like people who doesn't clean up their messes. Sounds to me like she doesn't know how to take care of herself.

And I don't like people throwing their food- what a waste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSafirah)
    What is wrong with that lady... I don't know what to say though.

I don't like people who doesn't clean up their messes. Sounds to me like she doesn't know how to take care of herself.

And I don't like people throwing their food- what a waste
    agreed about the food. I mean every now and again I do cook too much, but I'll stick it in the fridge or the freezer for later, you know. I mean she seems to cook too much literally every single evening, and every time she does the same thing- leaves it in the pan on the hobs overnight until the next evening when she throws it away. I just don't get it!

ReputationRep:
    I've politely asked her to clean up after herself.

She had a go at cleaning the microwave; apparently she doesn't realise that just wiping the easily visible surfaces inside the microwave isn't actually cleaning it; but I finished it off for her anyway.

I'm surprised I was so polite actually, given that the first thing she did when she got home was to trample dirt off her shoes through the hallway from the door to the kitchen, despite me asking her to take her shoes off when she's inside the house!

Oh well, little by little perhaps she'll improve?

Maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I'd expect a bit of leeway if you were an equal renting, but this is YOUR house she is lodging in so she has to play by your rules, it's not unreasonable at all for you to expect her to pull her weight around the house... you should just have a conversation with her, try and be as friendly as possible and just explain that things have to change

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her in a polite way, or text her "hey I'm going to use the kitchen to cook some dinner, can you clean up after yourself so I could use it please?" or something along those lines?

Or create a cleaning rota?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like you're being unreasonable. Why did you choose someone from work? That's potentially very awkward!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)
    It doesn't sound like you're being unreasonable. Why did you choose someone from work? That's potentially very awkward!
    we didn't know eachother until she moved in so I figured it'd just be like meeting your uni flatmates for the first time

ReputationRep:
    Your definitley not being unreasonable, that is disgusting behaviour. Could you perhaps draw up a cleaning rota so shes responsible for cleaning the kitchen a couple of times a week? She might not do a brilliant job but it would be a start.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.