Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should biographies be written in the third person? watch

ReputationRep:
    At work I've been asked to write a short biography about myself. I've searched for sample bios and they all seem to be written in the third person.

I kind of feel odd writing about myself in the third person and I'm worried about being perceived as a narcissist if I get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Autobiographies = first person
    Biographies = third person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Autobiographies = first person
    Biographies = third person

Oh dear! Now I'm confused. The email request said biography.

It would make more sense if it had said autobiography.

The context of the request is, the director of my department has a new manager because the dude who was above her was asked to leave. The new head is trying to get oriented to the structure of the team and to find out about every individual in the dept. The director has asked for our bios so that she can relay them to the new head. Since she's relaying them to the new head, it would make sense for them to be in third person, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim and proud)
    Oh dear! Now I'm confused. The email request said biography.

It would make more sense if it had said autobiography.

The context of the request is, the director of my department has a new manager because the dude who was above her was asked to leave. The new head is trying to get oriented to the structure of the team and to find out about every individual in the dept. The director has asked for our bios so that she can relay them to the new head. Since she's relaying them to the new head, it would make sense for them to be in third person, right?
    I think I'd stick with first person, and maybe add a note to the email saying you could change it to third person if they prefer?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd stick with first person, and maybe add a note to the email saying you could change it to third person if they prefer?
    Yeah that's a good idea. I'll make it first person but will ask her if she would prefer it in third person.

The director who has requested it is from America and is based there. They tend to have that flamboyance about them, so I wouldn't be surprised if she wants it in third.

ReputationRep:
    I made further enquiries from friends who work in the US and Dubai, it turns out it's now a professional trend. Will be going with the third person.

It's likely it hasn't caught up in some British sectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim and proud)
    I made further enquiries from friends who work in the US and Dubai, it turns out it's now a professional trend. Will be going with the third person.

It's likely it hasn't caught up in some British sectors.
    Sounds a bit odd to me, but there you go!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.