Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 8, and since we're a free school, we have to chose options this year.
    I'm unsure as to how many GCSEs we're allowed to do. Or if you're allowed to do more than one humanities subject.
    I'd just like to know how many GCSEs you were allowed to do, and whether you would choose History or Geography in the event of a one-humanity limit.

Thanks,

A Confused Year 8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahim_h)
    I'm in Year 8, and since we're a free school, we have to chose options this year.
    I'm unsure as to how many GCSEs we're allowed to do. Or if you're allowed to do more than one humanities subject.
    I'd just like to know how many GCSEs you were allowed to do, and whether you would choose History or Geography in the event of a one-humanity limit.

Thanks,

A Confused Year 8
    Id ask your school. Only they can tell you how many they will allow you to take. Every school is different so best to ask them really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Id ask your school. Only they can tell you how many they will allow you to take. Every school is different so best to ask them really.
    Thanks Emma.

I will do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Emma.

I will do.
    Im surprised they havent given you some sort of support- like saying you have to pick x amount of subjects- these are the subjects that you HAVE to take (like english and maths etc), and these are the ones that are optional etc.

ReputationRep:

Thanks,

A Confused Year 8
    As above each school will have its own 'limit', although at our school the amount varies between 8-11 GCSEs all together . On your subject choices, I believe the general opinion is that history will couple well with other arts subjects (English being the main one) and Geography with sciences -although I believe personally it could work with both arts and sciences. I'd just pick the one you like the best!

ReputationRep:
    I would always go for History, as I find it so so interesting, and it is really fun. I do not do geography but according to everyone who does in my school, they dislike it. History is very popular. But beware there is a lot to know, but revise and you'll be fine.

But it really depends on the teachers at your school because our History department is great and our geography one is crap, but every school is different.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Thanks,

A Confused Year 8
    You need to ask your school for this information. It varies from school to school, especially considering the fact that you are a free school.:fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I done 10 GCSE's. My school let me do both History and Geography! :O I chose to do these instead of other subjects such as Business. It really depends on your school.

With history, there is quite a lot to remember. However, I really enjoyed it since we learned about Hitler's rise to power Geography can be enjoyable for some, although it never really suited my tastes.

ReputationRep:
    I take both, and prefer history by a mile. I went into year 10 finding them equally enjoyable, but I really dislike geography now. There are so many case studies to learn, and in history it's mostly about exam techniques and the general idea of what happened in certain years, with a few facts to learn to answer the 'use your own knowledge' questions.

ReputationRep:

Thanks,

A Confused Year 8
    Geography, it's much more versatile (look that word up). History isn't as good when finding a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Geography, it's much more versatile (look that word up). History isn't as good when finding a job.
    Thats completely untrue because History provides you with many good skills, and is a very highly regarded subject

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11, and I picked both.
    I picked History, geography, spanish and Additional science.

I actually really like history, its pretty interesting. Medicine through time, surgery and nazi germany are pretty interesting. However Northern Ireland is the biggest bore EVER!!

As for geography, I dont really like it, probably because of the teacher. Shes on of those "Ohh you'll ace the exam dw, hand out free A*'s" type of teacher. I like the subjects where you actually learn. If your deciding between the two, go history; but if youve got a spare option, pick both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    someone has already said this, and I totally agree:

I do both History and Geography, I went into both in year 10 enjoying them... then half way threw the year I slipped in Geography, and im just managing to get C's consistently in tests.

Geography has so much to learn, unless your a quick learner, and getting level 6B's and higher in the subject, I'd highly recommend avoiding it.

As far as History goes, im loving it

hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCxla)
    Thats completely untrue because History provides you with many good skills, and is a very highly regarded subject
    I would employ someone with current knowledge that can be applied to the workplace than someone who studied about pigs in the 15th century.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I was in the same position as you on year 8 because I attend an Academy and they gave us guidelines like we were put into 3 bands, Pathway A, B and C (there was a 4th one which was the option of doing vocational courses at a partner school). Pathway C usually were made to do foundation GCSEs and other 'filler subjects' whereas Pathway A and B were pretty identical. I was in pathway A which meant triple science, maths, English and English literature, ONE humanity and ONE language were compulsory for me. On top of this I had to do 2 options. Pathway B had to do double science, English lit/lang, maths, statitistics, a humanities subject, a language, BTEC business studies and BTEC ICT aswell as 2 more options. I would use this sort of guideline to focus your approach, depending on how you wanna go about your GCSEs. As far as the geography/history debate is concerned, I've been arguing this my whole life I personally chose Geography because it is more science related and we only have one 25% Controlled Assessment which is easier to get marks in rather than History which is more like multiple 10% controlled assessments. They are both equal in my opinion and you just have to decide which is more "for you". You have to be passionate about geography or history to succeed I think, because as far as I know last year no one got an A* in geography at my school.

Many people think for a future in law or politics you need history, while that may be true for A levels, you simply do not to be that focussed in GCSEs because most people are still unsure at this stage..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.