Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Can History Help In Life? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm picking my GCSE options this week, and don't want to make the wrong choice, but I am torn between Geography and History.

I'd just like to know how History can help get a job.

Thanks,

A GCSE option chooser
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rahim_h)
    I'm picking my GCSE options this week, and don't want to make the wrong choice, but I am torn between Geography and History.

Thanks,

A GCSE option chooser
    Personally I think History>Geography.
    History teaches humanity not to commit the same errors. You can see patterns, predict what will happen due to current situations and so on. It is also nice to know a bit about your past.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the study of history generally is useful to humanity, so I'll leave that to one side and look at how it's useful to you personally.

History study teaches analytical skills, being able to evaluate and compare views, opinions and facts. It encourages you to apply knowledge in new ways, and taken deeply enough branches into economics, sociology and politics. You'll be able to see patterns in people's and society's behaviour.

The ability to reason and think things through is what will make history useful. You'll also be able to write fluently and structure your writing. Writing essays about facts and sources in History is very different to in English, and the two together will make you a more rounded scholar.

History will also give you a greater perspective on the world and current events, even when you don't know the specific history involved.

Employers (assuming they are fussed about what actual subjects you took - a lot will just look at the grades) will see history as showing that you're able to think, analyse and explain, and be able to present your thoughts clearly and effectively.

If you want to go on to study law, art, religion, economics, sociology, politics, philosophy, film, archaeology (obviously), music or psychology then it's also a useful subject to have under your belt, both for the knowledge and skills you'll have.

ReputationRep:

Thanks,

A GCSE option chooser
    Personally, don't worry about GCSE's and how they're going to help you in life because (honestly) they really aren't. Pick something that you enjoy, like, and will be able to score highly for. Because at the end of the day when you compile your CV for a job application your GCSEs will get (at a maximum) 1 line of text, usually something like "...12 GCSEs at A*-A."

A-Levels are only marginally more important and probably take up 3 lines maximum. But don't split hairs over it, do what you enjoy and can get a good grade in.

ReputationRep:
    I can only really comment on pursuing history, as that's what I studied.

The truth about studying history is that very few pupils will go onto teach/research at a university -which is essentially the vocation of the subject. My advice would be to figure out what type of history you enjoy and find a corresponding profession. So if you enjoy legal history, pursue law; if you're drawn to economic history, take economics; social history, social research; conservation or museum curator; etc.

I suppose my point is, perhaps controversially, that if you're concerned about getting a job then don't select subjects that are easily self-taught (this applies to geography too). I left university about three years ago and only once, ever, have a came across a job that specifically required a history degree.

Choose a subject that will teach you a marketable skill.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.