Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure where to put this, but hopefully someone can help me. A teacher that I'm really fond of is leaving at the end of this year and I want to get her something really thoughtful. The only problem is I have no idea what. Like, if it was for a close friend I'd do something like a photograph collage, but that's not really possible in this situation as she's my teacher so, unsurprisingly, we don't have many photo's together Anyone got any ideas? Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    Another American lawsuit incoming [Insert laughter here].

In all seriousness alcohol's always a good one, any way to jokingly ask her in a lesson about her favourite drinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaneki)
    Another American lawsuit incoming [Insert laughter here].

In all seriousness alcohol's always a good one, any way to jokingly ask her in a lesson about her favourite drinks?
    I was thinking something more personal though....also I don't even think I'm allowed to take alcohol into school

ReputationRep:
    When our Physics teacher left Christmas 2013, our class (the three amigos doing A-Levels) ended up getting her a bottle of wine and a pack of starbursts. The bottle of wine was just a generic gift whereas the starburst was a bit more of a funny gift, seeing as every now and again she would bring a packet of starbursts into class and hand out a couple.

Getting something for teachers who are leaving is always tricky though, and i think it should really depend on how long you have been taught by that particular teacher (in my case it was Yr 7 through to A-Levels). It might look odd getting something other than a card if you've only been taught by the teacher for a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    One of our teachers left at Halloween, and our AS class all pooled in and got him a tonne of physics-y stuff (he was a physics teacher). We got him a personalized mug (something along the lines of Mr X - Best Physics Teacher Ever or something like that), a tie with physics formula and stuff on it, a badge saying I <3 Physics and some squeaky toys for his dog. We also got a cake made with an arsenal logo on it (he's a big fan).

You could probably find a tonne of stuff online. What subject does she teach?

ReputationRep:
    Last year a teacher who was really special to me left our school, and I bought her a mug and wrote her a card- quite a simple, obvious one but in my opinion it is quite personal as it is something that is kept, rather than eaten/drunk .. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    When our Physics teacher left Christmas 2013, our class (the three amigos doing A-Levels) ended up getting her a bottle of wine and a pack of starbursts. The bottle of wine was just a generic gift whereas the starburst was a bit more of a funny gift, seeing as every now and again she would bring a packet of starbursts into class and hand out a couple.

Getting something for teachers who are leaving is always tricky though, and i think it should really depend on how long you have been taught by that particular teacher (in my case it was Yr 7 through to A-Levels). It might look odd getting something other than a card if you've only been taught by the teacher for a year or two.
    She's taught me from year 8 to 12 and she always goes above and beyond for her students which is something I really appreciate, so I'd like to do the same for her in regards to getting her something. Something different and personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crozibear96)
    One of our teachers left at Halloween, and our AS class all pooled in and got him a tonne of physics-y stuff (he was a physics teacher). We got him a personalized mug (something along the lines of Mr X - Best Physics Teacher Ever or something like that), a tie with physics formula and stuff on it, a badge saying I <3 Physics and some squeaky toys for his dog. We also got a cake made with an arsenal logo on it (he's a big fan).

You could probably find a tonne of stuff online. What subject does she teach?
    Philosophy and Ethics. She seems to really like minions a well haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottie.13)
    Last year a teacher who was really special to me left our school, and I bought her a mug and wrote her a card- quite a simple, obvious one but in my opinion it is quite personal as it is something that is kept, rather than eaten/drunk .. hope this helps
    Yeah, I think she would appreciate something long lasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviem)
    Philosophy and Ethics. She seems to really like minions a well haha
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-MINION-C...=minions+gifts

There's something right off the bat.:3

Also, zazzle seems like a good site for teacher gifts ---> http://www.zazzle.co.uk/philosophy+teacher+gifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crozibear96)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-MINION-C...=minions+gifts

There's something right off the bat.:3

Also, zazzle seems like a good site for teacher gifts ---> http://www.zazzle.co.uk/philosophy+teacher+gifts
    Haha, the minion mug's pretty funny, thanks for the site suggestions, they look really good I'll check them out. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here's a few things I got last year that meant a lot - a very fitting mug (teachers always have personalised mugs and keep them for years), a notebook where the front was designed/ personalised by the student (may not last forever but can be kept), a signed picture that a student had drawn of a penguin a collage of photos of the students that they all signed, flowers (they died but I kept the photo), a personalised keyring, a personally designed bead bracelet (i found these online - very cheap and easy but so personal). Oo a drinks' coaster that had a self-chosen/ designed print in it, a science based jewellery item that I'll probably wear very little but will treasure.

God I miss those kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Here's a few things I got last year that meant a lot - a very fitting mug (teachers always have personalised mugs and keep them for years), a notebook where the front was designed/ personalised by the student (may not last forever but can be kept), a signed picture that a student had drawn of a penguin a collage of photos of the students that they all signed, flowers (they died but I kept the photo), a personalised keyring, a personally designed bead bracelet (i found these online - very cheap and easy but so personal). Oo a drinks' coaster that had a self-chosen/ designed print in it, a science based jewellery item that I'll probably wear very little but will treasure.

God I miss those kids
    hmm, the bracelet is interesting, I know how to make some pretty nice ones so I might do that. She would love me to draw her something but unfortunately my drawing skills are shocking Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviem)
    hmm, the bracelet is interesting, I know how to make some pretty nice ones so I might do that. She would love me to draw her something but unfortunately my drawing skills are shocking Thanks for the help
    You can do online designs using free images/ altered photos of your own

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.