ReputationRep:
    I'm studying... Business Studies and Economics, History and English Language and Literature

My study level is... A-level (A2)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by katytye)
    I'm studying... Business Studies and Economics, History and English Language and Literature

My study level is... A-level (A2)
    Hey there and welcome to :tsr: !!!

Do you do lit and lang as a combined course or separately?
    How're things going? If you're struggling with anything subject related or have any questions then head over to the study help forums, we've got loads of places for you to ask questions of any level and get help answering them :yes:

We've got tons of resources, forums and articles for A Level students, all based in our A level section! From here you can also find specific forums for each of your subjects and chat to others who are studying them

For when the time comes, there's loads of stuff in our applying to uni section. You'll find loads in here, including University Connect, which will show you who on TSR is applying for what course and where :yep: Also check out our gap year pages

We've all got a more social side too, so when you get bored of studying or need a break, have a look at the chat forums to get to know our members, or how about taking part in one of our forum games? Take a look at hobbies and interests to discuss what you enjoy with like-minded people There's loads of things to explore!
    We also have a special forum to introduce Newbies to the site, where you can join in with our icebreaker games and find out more about how to use the site, so check that out in the Welcome Lounge

If you need anything or have any questions then I'd be happy to help, so don't hesitate to ask! :yes:
    ~Astrud
    Community Assistant, Study Helper and Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    I'm Vish!
    I'm in year 12 and I've taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics!
    How are you finding economics at A2?
    & are you applying to universities this year? If so, which ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vish_06)
    hey!
    I'm Vish!
    Hey!
    Thanks for replying, sorry I've taken so long to see this!

I do a combined Business and Economics A-Level by Edexcel, but only because my schools sixth form is relatively small, there are only four of us in my A2 Business and Economics lessons! I would have preferred to focus on pure Economics, however the business side is really interesting and the theory really interlinks with trends in the general economy. My teachers love using real life examples from present day events which really helps us to understand complex theories.

It's hard for me to differentiate the Economics course from the Business side of things as they interlink a lot throughout the syllabus; like how businesses operate in economies and how economies impact upon businesses, but I love 'Unit 4b'. It focuses specifically on government and how they regulate the economy through policies etc.

I feel that the business side of things really softens the course because it mainly consists of understanding theories and being able to fully evaluate and explain them along with their merits and drawbacks, rather than specifically analysing data and its effect on the subject in question.

I've applied to plain Economics at university. I have conditional offers from Swansea and Reading and three unconditional offers from Leister, Lancaster and UEA, I focused strongly on my personal statement and my teachers adore me so gave me lovely references.

I'm most likely going to firm UEA. My Maths AS was a little weak to warrant me going to a 'better' university in terms of positions on the league tables, but I'm more than happy with UEA and the course and opportunities it offers. UEA are also in the top 20 overall as well as Economics so I'm still quite happy with that, (though my inner mega ambitious perfectionist self may fight me on that one).

Maths is really something top universities will push for, especially A2 maths. This is necessarily because the course will contain complex mathematics, but it obviously just helps them filter out 'weaker' candidates. But from the sounds of you're subject choices you'll be capable of good arithmetic, (and hopefully you'll have a slightly better maths teacher than I did).

Sorry if that was more than you bargained for, but I know when I was in year 12 I felt a little lost. Economics is a fantastic subject and I couldn't be more excited to be studying it next year!

Are you planning to go to university and if so, what do you plan to study?

How are you finding your courses so far?

I hope your studies are going well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    I'm Vish!
    Sorry for the mass of typos in my first reply. I meant to say that the economics courses at 'better' universities aren't necessarily more focused on maths because the ask for high maths grades, they just want the best candidates over all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the mass of typos in my first reply. I meant to say that the economics courses at 'better' universities aren't necessarily more focused on maths because the ask for high maths grades, they just want the best candidates over all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey!!
    Hahaha no problem!
    In fact thank you so much for all the information! It was really helpful, I appreciate it
    I'm finding maths quite hard at the moment but that apart my other subjects are okay, economics is really interesting!
    I had my AS maths C1 mock exam today and it was solid
    I would like to apply to LSE or Cambridge for economics but that's only if I do exceptionally well in my AS levels :P

Wish you all the very best for your A2 exams and I hope you really enjoy studying Econ at university!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey!!
    Hahaha no problem!
    In fact thank you so much for all the information! It was really helpful, I appreciate it
    I'm finding maths quite hard at the moment but that apart my other subjects are okay, economics is really interesting!
    I had my AS maths C1 mock exam today and it was solid
    I would like to apply to LSE or Cambridge for economics but that's only if I do exceptionally well in my AS levels :P

Wish you all the very best for your A2 exams and I hope you really enjoy studying Econ at university!!!
    Thank you!
    Feel free to contact me anytime in the future if there's anything you feel I can help with, especially when it comes to actually applying to uni, it seems absolutely terrifying when you have that blank screen in front of you and you have to sell yourself, but once you get into it, it just flows

My course covered C1, I was on AQA. It's really really difficult to get your head around at first, I wish my school had offered further maths at GCSE to those considering AS because the courses overlap so much and it would have given me a whole extra year to practice. But at the end of the year you'll look back on core 1 and it will be a breeze!

I bought the CGP core 1 and core 2 theory and practice book and it really got me on track! I also found the website mymaths, you're school has to be signed up to it to use it, but it's so good at explaining theory step by step, and usually in an alternate way to that on the CGP book, so if the book make something a bit wordy, I'd go straight online and had it sussed within minutes.

I'm not sure what level you're working at, but the key thing you're going to have to do is just practice practice practice, especially if maths doesn't come naturally, for me I'm far more suited to writing than numbers! And also look extensively into mark schemes to learn how they want you to present answers, the amount of marks you can lose for not presenting things correctly is surprising.

I wish you all the best of luck, my main advice is just to really get that focus on maths! The top universities will really only consider the strongest maths candidates, and often Cambridge and LSE will be looking for further mathematics at A-Level too. I don't mean to say that to put you down or worry you at all, always aim as high as you possibly can! But remember, there are so many incredibly universities out there, and you'll realise this when it comes to looking where you want to apply. I've known friends to turn down Cambridge offers because the locations and lifestyle just wasn't for them. So whatever the results in August (and I'm sure they'll be fantastic because you sound so motivated) but don't do what I did and be hard on yourself if you don't get what you wanted, I got ABBD and I never imagined that warrant three unconditional offers! Theres a lot more to a university than just its position on a league table.

I wish you the best of luck with all your studies and if you're lingering about on TSR this time next year, let me know where you're offers are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Feel free to contact me anytime in the future if there's anything you feel I can help with, especially when it comes to actually applying to uni, it seems absolutely terrifying when you have that blank screen in front of you and you have to sell yourself, but once you get into it, it just flows

My course covered C1, I was on AQA. It's really really difficult to get your head around at first, I wish my school had offered further maths at GCSE to those considering AS because the courses overlap so much and it would have given me a whole extra year to practice. But at the end of the year you'll look back on core 1 and it will be a breeze!

I bought the CGP core 1 and core 2 theory and practice book and it really got me on track! I also found the website mymaths, you're school has to be signed up to it to use it, but it's so good at explaining theory step by step, and usually in an alternate way to that on the CGP book, so if the book make something a bit wordy, I'd go straight online and had it sussed within minutes.

I'm not sure what level you're working at, but the key thing you're going to have to do is just practice practice practice, especially if maths doesn't come naturally, for me I'm far more suited to writing than numbers! And also look extensively into mark schemes to learn how they want you to present answers, the amount of marks you can lose for not presenting things correctly is surprising.

I wish you all the best of luck, my main advice is just to really get that focus on maths! The top universities will really only consider the strongest maths candidates, and often Cambridge and LSE will be looking for further mathematics at A-Level too. I don't mean to say that to put you down or worry you at all, always aim as high as you possibly can! But remember, there are so many incredibly universities out there, and you'll realise this when it comes to looking where you want to apply. I've known friends to turn down Cambridge offers because the locations and lifestyle just wasn't for them. So whatever the results in August (and I'm sure they'll be fantastic because you sound so motivated) but don't do what I did and be hard on yourself if you don't get what you wanted, I got ABBD and I never imagined that warrant three unconditional offers! Theres a lot more to a university than just its position on a league table.

I wish you the best of luck with all your studies and if you're lingering about on TSR this time next year, let me know where you're offers are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow thank you soooo much!!! You've actually been of so much help to me, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that
    Yeah mymaths is really good, but you know there's a website called examsolutions which is really good! It has tutorials on all the different maths topics and it goes through loads of past papers!
    Awhh I hope I do well! practice makes perfect!
    Also, did you do mechanics as part of your maths a level?
    & yeah, I'm thinking of taking further maths next year as an AS level. But that depends on what I get in maths at the end of this year.
    Yeahh definitely I'll need all the help I can get when I start filling out my UCAS application!! Definitely yeah, I'll let you know about my offers x
    Thankss again

ReputationRep:
    Wow thank you soooo much!!! You've actually been of so much help to me, I can't tell you how much I appreciate that
    Yeah mymaths is really good, but you know there's a website called examsolutions which is really good! It has tutorials on all the different maths topics and it goes through loads of past papers!
    Awhh I hope I do well! practice makes perfect!
    Also, did you do mechanics as part of your maths a level?
    & yeah, I'm thinking of taking further maths next year as an AS level. But that depends on what I get in maths at the end of this year.
    Yeahh definitely I'll need all the help I can get when I start filling out my UCAS application!! Definitely yeah, I'll let you know about my offers x
    Thankss again
    You're very welcome

Mechanics was optional but I was told it was really hard and I was already struggling a little, we were also doing decision maths as well as C1 and C2 in one year so mechanics had to be after school which interfered with work. However, mechanics links in with C3 and C4 as I recall so a few of my friends went to the lessons anyway without taking the exam at the end so they could prepare a little for A2. Mechanics also meant that the statistics unit wasn't compulsory for the next year, so it allowed people to see how they'd done, and if they hadn't got what they wanted and found the thought of another year of mechanics unbearable, they could take stats the next year and still be okay for their whole a level

I'm not sure if it was an option to take both, because I don't think it would have added to their overall grade because it's all worked on percentages etc. so you might want to clarify that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're very welcome

Mechanics was optional but I was told it was really hard and I was already struggling a little, we were also doing decision maths as well as C1 and C2 in one year so mechanics had to be after school which interfered with work. However, mechanics links in with C3 and C4 as I recall so a few of my friends went to the lessons anyway without taking the exam at the end so they could prepare a little for A2. Mechanics also meant that the statistics unit wasn't compulsory for the next year, so it allowed people to see how they'd done, and if they hadn't got what they wanted and found the thought of another year of mechanics unbearable, they could take stats the next year and still be okay for their whole a level

I'm not sure if it was an option to take both, because I don't think it would have added to their overall grade because it's all worked on percentages etc. so you might want to clarify that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohhh right yeah that makes sense. Mechanics is compulsory in my school and its so hard!!
    But hopefully I'll get better at it with time
    Hahaha I wish you all the best again for your A2 exams this year! I'm sure you'll smash them!! xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.