Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, my subject choices for 5th year are coming up and I'm not sure what to choose! I know definitely maths, chemistry and biology. The way the columns work out looks like I'll be taking business and English or music and English? But I really dont want to pick english and would rather do business and music. I know that glasgow and Edinburgh only specify nat 5 C pass but do you think they would rather have higher? Also my school is doing the new higher human biology course rather than higher biology, do you think this would still be accepted?

Thanks for reading sorry its so long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachelmcl13)
    Hi guys, my subject choices for 5th year are coming up and I'm not sure what to choose! I know definitely maths, chemistry and biology. The way the columns work out looks like I'll be taking business and English or music and English? But I really dont want to pick english and would rather do business and music. I know that glasgow and Edinburgh only specify nat 5 C pass but do you think they would rather have higher? Also my school is doing the new higher human biology course rather than higher biology, do you think this would still be accepted?

Thanks for reading sorry its so long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey!

I'm a Scots applicant like yourself and I'm in sixth year and currently in the application process to vet school . Last year I sat Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Geography at Higher level. I know for sure that Chemistry, Biology and Maths/Physics are a must for applying however the rest is really up to you! I took English because I was always told by many teachers that English is a highly regarded subject by universities and attaining a good grade in this shows good thinking abilities and communication skills (which happen to be essential skills for being a vet). I really disliked English but in the end I got an A after grafting a hell of a lot so it's worked out well for me so far (and I am terrible at English, got 50% in the prelim) . I also took geography because a lot of universities consider to be a social science of sorts and I used to enjoy the subject, not anymore . Music may be helpful as it shows good dexterity etc whereas business gives you a good understanding of how industries run which again is important for being a vet. To put yourself in the best position you may as well ask the universities themselves as they will give you am idea of what they are looking for!

Personally, I'm not sure how the new highers are being viewed by the universities but I am pretty sure it is the same! Human biology is okay to take instead of normal biology in most places . Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Thats really helped! I probably will take english in the end even though I hate it because lots of my teachers also say that universities look for it! Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What unis have you applied to and if you don't mind me asking what were your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Thats really helped! I probably will take english in the end even though I hate it because lots of my teachers also say that universities look for it! Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What unis have you applied to and if you don't mind me asking what were your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem, glad to help! it's definitely a useful subject and does help you to think critically Thank you very much!

At Standard Grade I got 7 1's and a 2 (I know it's not the same scoring system now - the 2 was in English ) and at Higher I got 5 A's. I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and the RVC in London and I got interviews for all 4. I've attended 3 of them so far and I got an offer for Edinburgh - I also withdrew from my Nottingham interview because of this as it's a better option for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem, glad to help! it's definitely a useful subject and does help you to think critically Thank you very much!

At Standard Grade I got 7 1's and a 2 (I know it's not the same scoring system now - the 2 was in English ) and at Higher I got 5 A's. I applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Nottingham and the RVC in London and I got interviews for all 4. I've attended 3 of them so far and I got an offer for Edinburgh - I also withdrew from my Nottingham interview because of this as it's a better option for me.

Thats really good! Congratulations on your offer thats really exciting! If you get an offer from glasgow and rvc too which do you think you'll choose? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thats really good! Congratulations on your offer thats really exciting! If you get an offer from glasgow and rvc too which do you think you'll choose? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much! I would be stuck between Glasgow and Edinburgh but I'll doubt I'll get one for Glasgow so I'm just grateful for the one that I do have haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That'd definitely be the two I'd be stuck between! How did you find the interviews? And are you from Glasgow are or nearer Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That'd definitely be the two I'd be stuck between! How did you find the interviews? And are you from Glasgow are or nearer Edinburgh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are both amazing vet schools! The interviews weren't too bad, you expect them to be so much scarier, and trust me I freaked out a lot, but when you go in it's so relaxed and they seem like they genuinely want you to succeed! I'm from Glasgow, what about yourself?

Btw if you want to meet some other applicants we have applicants threads (I'm in the 2015 one so you can join in that or you could also have a look in the 2017 one with people at the same stage as yourself) which you could have a look at if you haven't already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    They are both amazing vet schools! The interviews weren't too bad, you expect them to be so much scarier, and trust me I freaked out a lot, but when you go in it's so relaxed and they seem like they genuinely want you to succeed! I'm from Glasgow, what about yourself?

Btw if you want to meet some other applicants we have applicants threads (I'm in the 2015 one so you can join in that or you could also have a look in the 2017 one with people at the same stage as yourself) which you could have a look at if you haven't already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah the interviews do sound quite scary haha! I'm also from Glasgow! do you know of any places round about glasgow that offer work experience with exotics im struggling to find anywhere?
    yeah ive been looking at the 2015 and 2017 one! did you find it hard to crash higher physics? Just wondering because I think I'll need to as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry to interrupt but just wanted to say that I'm currently a first year at Glasgow and live locally too. So if you have any questions about Glasgow vet school I'm more than happy to answer them I took the same highers as caninevet and to be honest I don't think it really matters what other highers you take as long as you have biology, chemistry and maths/physics but I would recommend English as well just because it's regarded as quite an important subject by many universities!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaarlotte)
    Hey sorry to interrupt but just wanted to say that I'm currently a first year at Glasgow and live locally too. So if you have any questions about Glasgow vet school I'm more than happy to answer them I took the same highers as caninevet and to be honest I don't think it really matters what other highers you take as long as you have biology, chemistry and maths/physics but I would recommend English as well just because it's regarded as quite an important subject by many universities!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No you're not interrupting at all! how hard do you find it to cope with the workload? Do you live at home or in a student flat etc? Do you think its possible to have a job at the same time? Was vet school as you expected? Sorry for all the questions haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No you're not interrupting at all! how hard do you find it to cope with the workload? Do you live at home or in a student flat etc? Do you think its possible to have a job at the same time? Was vet school as you expected? Sorry for all the questions haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The workload is quite intense, I know some people who have jobs and some who had to quit their jobs because of the workload. Personally I wouldn't be able to hold down a part time job but it depends how well you are at managing your time. I just stay at home seeing as I live locally well Glasgow have recently adopted a new course to incorporate clinical/practical skills straight away which I wasn't really expecting but it's been great to have such hands on experience so early in the course :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering all my questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.