Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a 14 year old get a debit/credit card?? watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me you could, but don't know where (or if) this is actually offered :confused: If I got one I would like to use it to purchase online mainly

ReputationRep:
    I got mine 3 years ago at 15, pretty sure youd be able to.
    Go to Barclays tho, not HSBC. The process is much simpler, just bring your passport along.

ReputationRep:
    im 15, got mine when i was 14 through nationwide. they have a new thing where you get a debit card with contactless etc. think you can get from 13 up.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a debit card, yes. I got mine at 14 with Natwest.

You can't get a credit card until you're 18, though.

ReputationRep:
    Debit, yes, credit, no.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You can get a debit card. Please only get one if you've got good self control though, it makes buying things so much easier and I remember when I first got mine I probably wasted a hundred pounds on stuff I didn't need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by School_ftw)
    My friend told me you could, but don't know where (or if) this is actually offered :confused: If I got one I would like to use it to purchase online mainly
    Yes you can get a debit, but not credit card.
    You will get extremely crappy interest rates though.

ReputationRep:
    Debit cards come with your bank account which you can get at your age. Debit cards take money straight from your bank account to pay for the 1D album you will be buying.

Credit cards you need to be 18+ to get. Credit cards are essentially you getting someone else to buy you something and saying "i'll pay you back later" and can easily lead to you racking up debts hence why under 18s aren't allowed one.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.