Why would a monopolist decide to stay in a market if its making a loss?

Watch
TheWrongTrick
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
From edexcel unit 3 economics
I can't quite get my head around this. I am told that "A monopolist may decide to remain operational whilst it makes a loss in the short-run as long as it is covering its variable costs and therefore making a contribution to its fixed costs. The monopolist may feel that in the long run super-normal profits might be achieved." But if its making a loss, how will it be covering its variable costs and how does that exactly make the fixed costs lighter?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid
Liamnut
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If price is greater than AVC, the firm can cover it's variable costs and some of its fixed costs, reducing the loss it would see if it just kept q=0. In the long run, the no factors are fixed so at q=0 it won't make a loss as there are no fixed costs, so it should close.

(Original post by TheWrongTrick)
From edexcel unit 3 economics
I can't quite get my head around this. I am told that "A monopolist may decide to remain operational whilst it makes a loss in the short-run as long as it is covering its variable costs and therefore making a contribution to its fixed costs. The monopolist may feel that in the long run super-normal profits might be achieved." But if its making a loss, how will it be covering its variable costs and how does that exactly make the fixed costs lighter?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid
mattt1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you apply the question to a real life example. You own a business and paid fixed costs (rent) of £10,000 a year,
you also have variable costs that calculate to around £5 per unit sold, but you only sell them for £6 per unit, chances are you won't make a profit, and you will make a loss, (unless if you sell loads and the £1 margin exceeds £10,000). Anyway the monopolist will stay in the market as for every unit sold they are covering their variable costs, and making £1 contribution to the £10,000 fixed costs, therefore by staying in the market they are reducing the loss they make.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed