Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a week to decide what I want to take for my GCSEs and at the moment this is what I have

Have to take these 3:
    English
    Maths
    Triple Science

I dunno whether to do History or Geography?
    Is Spanish worth taking? If I take Spanish then I'd have to take either History or Geo, but if I don't then I can take both.

Media Studies (Definitely Taking)
    iMedia (Definitely Taking)

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    ^Now out of these 4 I have to pick one more and a reserve...? Anyone done any of subjects above that could give any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenaAsia)
    I have a week to decide what I want to take for my GCSEs and at the moment this is what I have

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Is Spanish worth taking? If I take Spanish then I'd have to take either History or Geo, but if I don't then I can take both.

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    ^Now out of these 4 I have to pick one more and a reserve...? Anyone done any of subjects above that could give any advice?
    I took both English Language and Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, Italian and Music.
    I personally prefer History, but it depends on if you're good at essay writing as History is essay questions and source analysis where Geography has quite a few case studies (factual stuff, I do believe).
    Out of those subjects, you really have to choose whichever one would suit you the best. I chose music as I figured it was something I enjoyed and that it would be 'easy'... which is not true! I was on OCR board. There's a lot of performance, so you have to be confident and do a lot of practice to ensure that you use a lot of techniques and get the high grades. There's a lot of coursework involved, and I found that the written coursework really allowed me to bump up my grade, especially when I wasn't confident in my performances, or much in the formal exam either. The formal exam is a listening exam which you can do quite well in depending how well you learn the content and how keen an ear you have! I found the composing things the worst haha. I wouldn't choose it again if I did it now, but I must say that a lot of people really enjoyed the subject, and even though I wasn't the best student I came out of it with an A.
    Good luck in your choices - do what you feel you'll do the best in. Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicekyra)
    I took both English Language and Literature, Maths, Triple Science, History, Italian and Music.
    I personally prefer History, but it depends on if you're good at essay writing as History is essay questions and source analysis where Geography has quite a few case studies (factual stuff, I do believe).
    Out of those subjects, you really have to choose whichever one would suit you the best. I chose music as I figured it was something I enjoyed and that it would be 'easy'... which is not true! I was on OCR board. There's a lot of performance, so you have to be confident and do a lot of practice to ensure that you use a lot of techniques and get the high grades. There's a lot of coursework involved, and I found that the written coursework really allowed me to bump up my grade, especially when I wasn't confident in my performances, or much in the formal exam either. The formal exam is a listening exam which you can do quite well in depending how well you learn the content and how keen an ear you have! I found the composing things the worst haha. I wouldn't choose it again if I did it now, but I must say that a lot of people really enjoyed the subject, and even though I wasn't the best student I came out of it with an A.
    Good luck in your choices - do what you feel you'll do the best in. Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much, it did help

ReputationRep:
    You're very welcome
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    It's definitely worth taking a language at GCSE - do you do Spanish at the moment? If so, do you enjoy it?

If you have to choose between History and Geography, it's obviously up to you but I would personally choose History; everyone in my year who does Geography often stresses about it due to the controlled assessments. But yeah, that just comes down to a matter of preference.

I'm currently doing Psychology at GCSE and I love it! I'm hoping to take it at A Level as well Would the exam board be AQA? If so, it is mainly just memorising case studies and key terms but it is still really interesting and I would definitely recommend it!

Good luck with the rest of your options, hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    It's definitely worth taking a language at GCSE - do you do Spanish at the moment? If so, do you enjoy it?

If you have to choose between History and Geography, it's obviously up to you but I would personally choose History; everyone in my year who does Geography often stresses about it due to the controlled assessments. But yeah, that just comes down to a matter of preference.

I'm currently doing Psychology at GCSE and I love it! I'm hoping to take it at A Level as well Would the exam board be AQA? If so, it is mainly just memorising case studies and key terms but it is still really interesting and I would definitely recommend it!

Thank you and good luck too
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    What is iMedia? It seems pretty pointless to do both Media Studies and iMedia if they're similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)

I agree that taking a language is well worth it. I really enjoyed taking Italian and wish I could have continued it at A Level.
    There's a lot of writing and speaking assessments involved so you need to have a good memory and quite a good grasp of the language in order to do well! And I must say that there's also some coursework involved in history, it's a written coursework and the topic changes each year. Mine was about the troubles in Northern Ireland :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    In my opinion, a language is certainty worth taking (if you like it).

As for Geography vs History. I did Geography and all I can say is the controlled assessment can be tedious and long, while the case studies for the exam can be horrible to remember however, if you do remember them, then easy marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    What is iMedia? It seems pretty pointless to do both Media Studies and iMedia if they're similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Media Studies is more about the media and how/why things are portrayed in the media such as film, tv and magazines etc... iMedia is more about graphics and editing and filming. It's more about software like Adobe and production.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take spanish to be honest unless you were a natural linguist (though if you studied it before in school then you'll be fine) However many universities will want a grade C or above in a modern foreign language at GCSE, so it will be worth taking it if you think you'll be able to pass.
    I had to choose history or geography this time last year and I chose history because although its hard, the syllabus seemed more interesting and if you enjoy history it's good as it includes a lot of essay writing. Business Studies I would probably reccomend taking at A Level instead if you really enjoy it as many schools don't offer it for GCSE
    Psychology sounds really interesting but my school didn't offer it for gcse, but apparently it's quite hard to get like an A - A* in but i'm not too sure about that.
    I also took Drama which is good and very fun but is also very difficult to get an A Grade or above in but if you enjoy it then you should do it.
    If you don't enjoy it then dont take it! I enjoyed all my subjects I took (instead of textiles, don't even go there) and I only took German as I know I could probably scrape a B and it would look good on my university application to have a modern foreign language at gcse.
    But because you're the year below me I don't think you do any coursework so just bare that in mind as you will probably just do one big test at the end of year 11
    Hope I helped
    (I take English Lit, English Lang, German, Textiles, History, Drama, Religious Studies, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths atm ) )

ReputationRep:

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    Don't bother taking a language - they're a waste of time. You need to concentrate on the basics first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xGCSE_Studentx)
    Don't bother taking a language - they're a waste of time. You need to concentrate on the basics first
    Languages aren't a waste of time if you can get at least a pass grade in them, they're good for university applications. I really enjoyed taking a language and I did surprisingly well in it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    Definitely do a language. :yes:
    Also, if I were you I would take History as (only a term into Y10) Geography got really boring and I do both :yep:

I wouldn't take Media studies and iMedia as a duo as it's pretty pointless and they're both soft subjects I'd say do one and do Geography+History if you want to do both badly :yes:

For the bottom 4, I'd for Physcology with Business as a reserve

- I'm in Y10 arm. Ask any questions about anything:grin:

ReputationRep:
    Languages aren't a waste of time if you can get at least a pass grade in them, they're good for university applications. I really enjoyed taking a language and I did surprisingly well in it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All job firms look at you basics before languages. They aren't taken into account at all therefore they're a waste of time. What's the point in taking a language when it accounts for nothing. You have to know English before a foreign language!

ReputationRep:

English
    Maths
    Triple Science

Business Studies
    Performing Arts
    Music
    Psychology
    i do media studies and psychology and my friends do imedia, geo, spanish, history. So first of all media studies is HARD! if you good in english you might find it easy but its not easy. Imedia is easy butt makes you work hard, you have to put alooooooooot of effort and i mean it. Psychology i hated at first but its probably one of the easiest gcses ever. Its really easy and great to bank a good grade. As far as I've heard about spanish its hard. but the controlled assessments can help you get a good grade . History is very intresting the exams are essay based so if you like that then its great!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xGCSE_Studentx)
    All job firms look at you basics before languages. They aren't taken into account at all therefore they're a waste of time. What's the point in taking a language when it accounts for nothing. You have to know English before a foreign language!
    Languages do account for something, depending on the job you want, and also they can look good for university applications.
    For example, if you wanted to do something business related, German would be a really good language to take (I use this example as the OP mentioned business studies as an option).
    It's also good to take a language if you're good at it and you enjoy it like OP said they did!
    I've taken all of my GCSE's, and I have to say that English Language for me didn't even focus on how the English Language works, just on different styles like articles, letters etc.
    My foreign language focused on structure and grammar more than English ever did!
    Also, you have to take English as a basic anyway, so it won't be like they'd be taking a foreign language in place of English!
    It's totally up to you OP - I think foreign languages are worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend doing a language.
    I do history and geography at the moment. They're both equally hard but history is more interesting (for me) and the controlled assessment is a lot better (our geography one took a whole term).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Languages do account for something, depending on the job you want, and also they can look good for university applications.
    For example, if you wanted to do something business related, German would be a really good language to take (I use this example as the OP mentioned business studies as an option).
    It's also good to take a language if you're good at it and you enjoy it like OP said they did!
    I've taken all of my GCSE's, and I have to say that English Language for me didn't even focus on how the English Language works, just on different styles like articles, letters etc.
    My foreign language focused on structure and grammar more than English ever did!
    Also, you have to take English as a basic anyway, so it won't be like they'd be taking a foreign language in place of English!
    It's totally up to you OP - I think foreign languages are worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I respect your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think you should go with your gut. My school offered me something called an eback course which meant that I HAD to choose one language (French or Spanish) one humanities subject (geography or history) and the other two where your choice. I have to do triple science weather I want to or not because I'm in set one so that didn't take up an option. In the end I choose business, sociology, French and geography. If you are more of a realist than choose subject you think will be practical e.g economics, business, phycology ect... But if you deem yourself to be more creative and plan on going to an art school (like drama, art, music ect.) than choose the more creative choices. I would suggest choosing a variety because it will show universities that you are diverse and it will keep more doors open because if you choose all the subjects of the same nature and later change your mind about your career path than it will be hard for you to change direction I would recommend a language because I was told universities look for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.