Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi (first post, please don't slaughter me),

I have been to applicant days at both uni's and I love them both.

What I love about Sussex:
    • The attitude of all the students and staff, everyone seems extremely happy and enthusiastic
    • Campus seemed well laid out and generally cleaner than Surrey's
    • Campus is all in one place and spread out nicely
    • 24/7 study rooms (with free tea and coffee)
    • 2 or 3 hours by train from home (good/bad ?)
    • Outreach program (get paid to take classes in schools)
    • Closest town and supermarket (Brighton) is a bus/train ride away
    • Brighton is where I would be going for a night out (good/bad ?)

What I love about Surrey:
    • Timing of the placement year (between the 2nd and 3rd years)
    • Surrey seems to have better business links so job prospects after I finish uni seems better
    • 30 mins by train from home (good/bad ?)
    • Has Jim Al-Khalili as a potential lecturer
    • Guildford is where I would be going for a night out (good/bad ?)
    • Closest town and supermarket within walking distance

It seems Surrey has the academic edge but Sussex has the social edge, any opinions on this? (However http://universities.findthebest.co.uk/ suggested there is a higher percentage of people getting a 2:1 or higher at Sussex rather than Surrey)

Sussex also seems more focused on research after your degree rather than a job. However Surrey equally focused on further research and getting a job in industry. (Again, any opinions on this?)

What makes it interesting is that Sussex gave me an unconditional offer (if I put them as my firm) however Surrey hasn't given me an unconditional offer.

(Will cross-post to Sussex's sub-forum and then bring some of their opinions back)

Would really appreciate your thoughts/experiences (even if you haven't been to both of them). Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    Reply from gf here.

She says the day to day stuff like friendly staff made a big difference at Sussex but on the other hand it would have been nice to be a walk from town and shops rather than bus/train. Basically think about actually living at both unis and see which fits your priorities best. Remember that you only live on campus one year (at Sussex anyway but I'm guessing Surrey is the same) so things like closeness to town /shops/uni will change.

Academically they are both good but the stuff you do in your free time, summer placements, work experience etc are much more important than perceived academic status or links between uni and business. Sussex has great opportunities for this like outreach, teaching at summer school, summer research placements. Having a wide range of things on your cv after uni will help get a job so much more than just your degree class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Reply from gf here.

She says the day to day stuff like friendly staff made a big difference at Sussex but on the other hand it would have been nice to be a walk from town and shops rather than bus/train. Basically think about actually living at both unis and see which fits your priorities best. Remember that you only live on campus one year (at Sussex anyway but I'm guessing Surrey is the same) so things like closeness to town /shops/uni will change.

Academically they are both good but the stuff you do in your free time, summer placements, work experience etc are much more important than perceived academic status or links between uni and business. Sussex has great opportunities for this like outreach, teaching at summer school, summer research placements. Having a wide range of things on your cv after uni will help get a job so much more than just your degree class.
    Thanks a lot!

Will carefully consider what you said!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.