Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    **Edit: Forgot to introduce myself, how rude of me!**

Hi I'm Angie, I'm 17 and currently in my second year of sixth form studying IB. I go to a grammar school in South-East England and am hoping to study accounting & finance at either Kent or Exeter. Right now my predicted grades aren't high enough to get into either of these two universities and my mock results were pretty shocking. I admit I didn't revise as well as I could but with the effort I HAD put in, I expected better. I will post things like daily revision / test results / motivating things which will hopefully get me to the place I want to be at the beginning of May. Goodluck to anyone else who are hoping to improve their grades!

My subjects for IB:

HL Computer Science: 5 5
    HL Geography: 5 7
    HL Biology: 4 7
    SL Maths Studies: 5 7
    SL French: 5 5
    SL English: 5 5

Predicted Grade
    Target Grade

Computer science is the hardest subject for me and I have no efficient way of revising which is why I didn't want to raise my target grade. For biology and geography, I know I can get higher if I try my hardest. Maths may be a bit adventurous but I know that if I do plenty of past papers and do well in my IA then I will be able to get a 7. French & English aren't that important to me and my predicted grades will be attainable even if I don't put much effort in.

More updates coming soon!

ReputationRep:
    Might as well put in my university choices here, which I will update everytime something changes on track:

Portsmouth: Conditional Offer 29 points
    Manchester Metropolitan: Conditional Offer 26 points and 16 at HL
    Hertfordshire: Conditional Offer 28 points
    Kent: Conditional Offer 34 points or 16 at HL
    Exeter: Conditional Offer 34 points *SCREAMS OF HAPPINESS*

Pending
    Rejected
    Offer given
    Grade they want

I've applied for accounting & finance w/ a year in industry.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Good start with your blog! :awesome:
    Keep us updated on how things go :yes:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This is to say that Kangie's grades have been verified!

:banana: :banana2: :banana:

ReputationRep:
    29/01/2015 Update

Biology tutor is coming soon, hopefully this will give me the motivation to study well, it's just dawned on me that my exams are in 3 months and I'm really behind on revision.
    Managed to finish my IA write up for biology in advance and maths homework, which will give me time to write up my CAS this weekend!

ReputationRep:
    03/02/2015 Update

Just got an offer from Exeter which has left me really happy after a day of going to school, feeling sick and then coming home to sleep. I know this is the motivation I needed to get my butt on track and revise thoroughly for these exams. I've wanted to go to Exeter since forever and now that I have an offer, here's my chance to prove myself.

On another note, CAS is due in tomorrow and I'm feeling rather apprehensive that I haven't done enough or that it's not good enough. I will probably stay up late (again) writing it up and will do more in my free periods tomorrow.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Kangie)
    03/02/2015 Update

Just got an offer from Exeter which has left me really happy after a day of going to school, feeling sick and then coming home to sleep. I know this is the motivation I needed to get my butt on track and revise thoroughly for these exams. I've wanted to go to Exeter since forever and now that I have an offer, here's my chance to prove myself.

On another note, CAS is due in tomorrow and I'm feeling rather apprehensive that I haven't done enough or that it's not good enough. I will probably stay up late (again) writing it up and will do more in my free periods tomorrow.
    Congratulations on your offer!! :woo: You must be really chuffed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Congratulations on your offer!! :woo: You must be really chuffed.
    Thank you!! Yeah I'm really happy as I wasn't expecting them to give me a place

ReputationRep:
    08/02/2015 Update

On Friday my form tutor asked to see me so I went up to the front having no idea what she wanted to talk to me about.
    The conversation went something like this:
    Her: Has Mrs ... talked to you yet?
    Me: Nope!
    Her: Right well it's a little too late to change any decisions but basically she was a little concerned about your choice of firm and insurance, she said you chose two universities with the same entry requirements, is that true?
    Me: Yes..
    Her: What do they want?
    Me: 34
    Her: What are you predicted?
    Me: 31
    Her: *giving me a sceptical look* This was a huge risk, if you don't get 34 then you will be moved straight into clearing
    Me: *internally screaming at the lack of support my teachers give me* Yes I know that but I did some research before making my decision and found out that Kent is more lenient on it's grades and some people got accepted even though they got 2 grades lower than the offer
    Her: So you're willing to take this risk?
    Me: Yes
    Her: Okay then

To say I was angry was an understatement. I was actually fuming for the entire day because that teacher was the one who actually told me NOT to apply to Exeter because I wouldn't get an offer but I did and now she thinks I don't know what I'm doing?

My school puts so much pressure on it's students but gives very little support, almost all the good teachers have left and most of the teachers in-charge are very judgemental and to be honest, crap.

Anyway I was angry all day but now I'm just looking forward to results day where I can shove it in her face. This gives me EVEN MORE motivation to do well so that I can show her that I was right.

Still waiting for my EE supervisor to email me details about the viva voce which she wants to do before half term but she hasn't done so... if she doesn't email by tomorrow then I'm going to go to her room and ask about that.

Onto more positive stuff:

Today I revised biology topic E5: the brain and did some maths exercises on logic and truth tables etc. I find this topic the easiest so far but am making sure I understand it all.

Tonight I will write up part of my biology IA and add more stuff to my French IA.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Heya,

I just thought I'd introduce you guys to each other because you're all doing IB :woo:

You can check out the IB forum too, which should be really useful!

This is Angie's blog!
    (Original post by Saladlover)
    x
    (Original post by FranzTC)
    x

ReputationRep:
    HALF TERM GOALS

I will put a [x] when I have completed a goal! Hopefully I can complete these by 20/02/2015 but they may run over into the weekend or they may be continuous.

Complete TOK essay [x]
    Do English essay on deception [x]
    Go to school on 18/02/2015 to complete computer science coursework [x]
    Finish documentation for computer science coursework [x]
    Do French listening exercises on school website [x]
    Read French articles in the textbook [x]
    Do French homework [x]
    Write geography essay [x]
    Revise geography [] (Don't have time)
    Revise biology []​ ("")
    Do maths exercises for at least 30mins for 3 days of the holiday [x]
    Read up on 'A view from the bridge' [x]
    Do maths past papers x2 [x]
    Make sure I understand cos/sin/tan! [x]
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    HALF TERM GOALS

I will put a [x] when I have completed a goal! Hopefully I can complete these by 20/02/2015 but they may run over into the weekend or they may be continuous.

Complete TOK essay []
    Do English essay on deception []
    Go to school on 18/02/2015 to complete computer science coursework []
    Do French listening exercises on school website []
    Read French articles in the textbook []
    Do French homework []
    Write geography essay []
    Revise geography []
    Revise biology []
    Do maths exercises for at least 30mins for 3 days of the holiday []
    Read up on 'A view from the bridge' []
    Do maths past papers x2 []
    Make sure I understand cos/sin/tan! []
    What an organised way to track your goals, great idea :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Hey Kangie,

I really enjoyed reading your posts and I gotta say they're quite organized. Keep it up!
    Also, good luck with your studies and I understand the stress that you're going through as I myself am a Year 2 IB Student.
    I found this post to be the most significant, as it's things like these that try to knock us out of focus, but we have to keep that focus and turn those negatives to positives and ultimately achieve our goals.

I hope everything turns out great and that you exceed your teachers' predictions!

FranzTC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranzTC)
    Hey Kangie,

I really enjoyed reading your posts and I gotta say they're quite organized. Keep it up!
    Also, good luck with your studies and I understand the stress that you're going through as I myself am a Year 2 IB Student.
    I found this post to be the most significant, as it's things like these that try to knock us out of focus, but we have to keep that focus and turn those negatives to positives and ultimately achieve our goals.

I hope everything turns out great and that you exceed your teachers' predictions!

FranzTC
    Hello!

Thank you for commenting on my blog and the encouragement (I really need it :cry2:). I agree, many things have prevented me from doing my best in IB, including teachers, friendships and mostly the internet but I'm trying to sort my life out in time to actually achieve what I want in life.

Goodluck to you and I hope you achieve your goals as well!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, I'm not doing ib but your goals are really organised, thanks for inspiring me!. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    Hi, I'm not doing ib but your goals are really organised, thanks for inspiring me!. Good luck
    Thank you! Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I'm not doing IB either, but it seems so much harder than A levels. Is it?

Well done for getting all your offers!! And for being super organised, I can't manage three subjects,
    let alone if I had so many.

I understand your pain about all the good teachers leaving, we've had so many leave,
    only to be replaced by NQT (newly qualified teachers) who can't really teach. Don't let the teachers knock you down on your
    decisions, I hope you get your goals and prove them wrong! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    Hiya! I'm not doing IB either, but it seems so much harder than A levels. Is it?

Well done for getting all your offers!! And for being super organised, I can't manage three subjects,
    let alone if I had so many.

I understand your pain about all the good teachers leaving, we've had so many leave,
    only to be replaced by NQT (newly qualified teachers) who can't really teach. Don't let the teachers knock you down on your
    decisions, I hope you get your goals and prove them wrong! Good luck!
    Hey Well, most of us doing IB would agree that A levels are easier than IB but I'm not sure because I haven't experienced it first hand. Most people in my year have collapsed under the work load but we all stick together on this FB group so we encourage each other xD.

I also have loads of NQT in my school and my EE supervisor is actually a trainee teacher so she didn't really know what she was doing, which wasn't so good for me -_- but I guess it makes you more self reliant and feel the need to actually go over things after the lesson which is always a good thing.

It's also discouraging after exams/tests when your teachers give you disappointed looks and in your head you're like: 'I can do so much better I swear! I just had loads of other work to do' - reminds me of GCSE times when I was so behind on everything but when the exams came, I made up for it.

Good luck to you too!!

ReputationRep:
    Day 1 HT goals log: 16/02/2015

Today I finally understood how to rearrange the sin/cos/tan equation thing when looking for angles/sides. I never understood this before because I never bothered to look it up and actually work it out myself. So glad I can finally do it! After that I looked up the plot for 'A view from the bridge' and understood it.

I did a few maths exercises (1+ to my 30m maths session goal) and did part of a maths past paper (geez loving maths today).

Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive because I procrastinated a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Day 2 HT goals log: 17/02/2015

I did more of the maths past paper with the help of some TSR people :woo: and will finish it tomorrow. Started another past paper and need to look up natural numbers etc tomorrow.

Did some more questions out of the maths text book.

Submit reply
Updated: June 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.