Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are girls so hard to be friends with Watch

Okay, so I'm a guy and I just find that making friends with guys is so much easier than with girls.

With any friend that's a girl, I have to tread so carefully, I have to watch what I say in case I "insult them" or "seem rude" some of them will get upset because I have different opinions. I also go through a lot of mental health issues, so usually I am closed off, but when I don't act closed off and act caring and emotional, that is also met with sarcastic and mean comments.

On the other hand, with guys, I can say whatever I want, they know it's a joke, or that I mean no offense, I don't need to watch what I say and they also are less likely to insult me, because I've noticed that female friends are happy to insult you (in a jokey or non-jokey way) yet if you say something back, you're the bad guy. But if guys do insult me as a joke, they don't mind me saying anything back.

So, is there a psychological reason, or is it that I just have a bad experience with crappy people?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly it's obvious...

They
    Don't
    Agree
    With
    You

i.e. You are not entitled to be friends with everyone you meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I'm a guy and I just find that making friends with guys is so much easier than with girls.

With any friend that's a girl, I have to tread so carefully, I have to watch what I say in case I "insult them" or "seem rude" some of them will get upset because I have different opinions. I also go through a lot of mental health issues, so usually I am closed off, but when I don't act closed off and act caring and emotional, that is also met with sarcastic and mean comments.

On the other hand, with guys, I can say whatever I want, they know it's a joke, or that I mean no offense, I don't need to watch what I say and they also are less likely to insult me, because I've noticed that female friends are happy to insult you (in a jokey or non-jokey way) yet if you say something back, you're the bad guy. But if guys do insult me as a joke, they don't mind me saying anything back.

So, is there a psychological reason, or is it that I just have a bad experience with crappy people?
    I'm a girl and I also find it easier to talk to guys... mainly because my female group of friends are all quite *****y but also because of similar things to what you just said. Maybe we've just come into contact with crappy people because my mum's friends are alright, and are even better friends to me than the ones at school haha
    Don't worry about it because if you can't be yourself around these people, spend as little time with them as possible or just tell them to shut up when they start. That's how I'm trying to get by

Yeah, I get that, I just wondered if there was any other reason.

But yeah I know, if somebody is a prick towards me when I'm just being myself, I'll stop contacting them, whether they're a guy or a girl.

(Original post by Justme:-))
    I'm a girl and I also find it easier to talk to guys... mainly because my female group of friends are all quite *****y but also because of similar things to what you just said. Maybe we've just come into contact with crappy people because my mum's friends are alright, and are even better friends to me than the ones at school haha
    Don't worry about it because if you can't be yourself around these people, spend as little time with them as possible or just tell them to shut up when they start. That's how I'm trying to get by
    Yeah I do think it might be that, but some female friends tell me they too hang out with guys more than girls for the same reasons I and you describe.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume you have to tread carefully. Ironically, treading carefully makes the recipient more touchy because they can tell you're hiding something.

Just treat them like you would guys, and either they will respond in kind, or you can tell them not to take things so seriously, or you can stop being friends with them.

Treating girls differently is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yes, they are often more emotional, but if society starts expecting them to be mature, they will.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it just sounds like the girls you know are complete knobs.

(Original post by Octohedral)
    Don't assume you have to tread carefully. Ironically, treading carefully makes the recipient more touchy because they can tell you're hiding something.

Just treat them like you would guys, and either they will respond in kind, or you can tell them not to take things so seriously, or you can stop being friends with them.

Treating girls differently is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yes, they are often more emotional, but if society starts expecting them to be mature, they will.
    Right.

I guess if you start to put people on a pedestal they'll expect it

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    To be honest it just sounds like the girls you know are complete knobs.
    Lol, I guess so.

Maybe I should work on finding better friends haha

ReputationRep:
    Right.

Lol, I guess so.

Maybe I should work on finding better friends haha
    If it really bothers you I would recommend it, I only have a few female friends and none of them display the traits OP says the women he knows do. I should hope I don't display the traits either.

ReputationRep:
    I feel you op, I have lots of friends who are girls but one they all have in common is they can take a joke and have banter. Some girls really cant.

One thing I've noticed though is guys are relatively simple to understand and you can become good friends with random guys in one conversation.

Girls aren't as friendly to each other.

ReputationRep:
    Right.

Exactly! Of course, it might not work right away, but I would always personally opt for treating people as if they are intelligent by default, then adjusting down if necessary. It's surprising how often it's not necessary.

Meanwhile, there are definitely plenty of level headed girls around. Hope you find some.

ReputationRep:
    the girls you talked to are obviously a bit too uptight, but most girls are. I find that most guys are chill and girls seem to always be *****y but I'm a girl and my friends that are female are just as chill as I am and as chill as the boys I know. Your not the only one though, the boys I talk to say the same thing to me sometimes

(Original post by ParadiseFound)
    I feel you op, I have lots of friends who are girls but one they all have in common is they can take a joke and have banter. Some girls really cant.

One thing I've noticed though is guys are relatively simple to understand and you can become good friends with random guys in one conversation.

Girls aren't as friendly to each other.
    Lol, I agree with this OP, I find that when making new friends, with guys it's just a lot more simple, and also, that when you have arguments, guys tend to forgive and forget a lot easier.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I don't think it's a gender thing. That being said, I do have more guy friends than girl friends. But that's because I have more in common with them. And because I appear to go to groups where there are more males than females.

ReputationRep:
    Weird, I find that the opposite sex is easier to talk to. Males aren't cliquey.
    At my new sixth form anyway, apart from a few females.

You're probably just talking to ***** cliquey girls.

ReputationRep:
    Actually most of my friends are girls and I get on less with guys, I'm not into the whole lad culture and I love a good convo but most men I know put on a fake hard man act. Girls are more open about things but they're way more judgmental, they do use men twice as bad but unlike men they see if you alright and be there for you if you upset.

ReputationRep:
    I beg your pardon? most of my friends are women and i've never encountered this....

ReputationRep:
    all the women you have tried to make friends with are clearly *****es.... i'm a girl with loads of guy friends... NONE of them tread carefully at all!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Why are guys so judgemental

More like why is it so hard to be friends with people in general ... :dontknow:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.