Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with question 2. I don't really understand part a.
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Super199)
    Can someone help me with question 2. I don't really understand part a.
    Have a look at this diagram and see if it makes more sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Have a look at this diagram and see if it makes more sense?

Not too sure? I can see when the waves are parallel they pass through and when the polaroid thing isn't they don't? Do you mind explaining it to me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not too sure? I can see when the waves are parallel they pass through and when the polaroid thing isn't they don't? Do you mind explaining it to me
    The wires represent the receiving antenna and should not be confused with an optical polarising grid.

The e-field is already polarised dependent it's orientation when it leaves the microwave horn.

And in the case of the polarising grid (which is not what this question is about) the waves don't pass through in the case when the E-field is parallel to the grid.

ReputationRep:
    FWIW Microwaves are quite similar to the UHF radio waves used for terrestrial TV signals and it's important to get your TV aerial mounted with it's conductive rods pointing in the same orientation as the ones on the transmitter it's aimed at because of polarisation.

some parts of the country it's vertical, some it's horizontal... sometimes it can be different in different parts of the same town when they've built a repeater station after the main transmitter was finished to fill in for areas where the line of sight is shadowed by the terrain.

if you still have any rooftop TV aerials of this type in your area you'll be able to notice that all the ones pointing at the same transmitter are all orientated the same (vertical or horizontal)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.