Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learning shapes using maths - any suggestions on material for this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently learning to use Processing [1] and I'm interested in creating shapes using maths, basically. I'm not sure what this is called though, and some of the material that I've found is too far above my current level, and not really focussed on what I'm currently interested in. They (from the link) are complex 3D images, whereas I'm more interested in more simple, flat geometrical pieces.

Perhaps some examples of what it is that I'm interested in will help.

Here's a blog post with a bunch of GIF's containing the shape / methods that I'm referring to.

The way that they are made is with quite strict mathematical principles / formulas rather than programming lots of Objects and defining their interactions that way.

For another example - Here's an Image (or animation) and here's the code for that animation. As you can see from that code, its not Object Oriented it's based around a particular formula/s.

So I'm unsure about the path to take in order to learn the material that will give me the info to understand and create this kind of imagery.

Geometry? Euclidian Geometry? Plane Geometry?

I'm currently working my way through the UK AS Level for maths (as a mature student, not at school). But anything more targeted that I could focus on as well would be ace.

If there's any more information that I can provide just say, hope it made sense

thanks!

[1] Processing is just a programming language that's based on Java with an orientation towards creating images and little animations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.