Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We have been doing material properties and I still don't understand the difference between Toughness and Hardness :confused:. We have to produce a presentation on a material (Stainless Steel) for next week but I'm still struggling to explain toughness. Can someone help?

Our college follows the OCR B Advancing physics course. If anyone has done, the materials presentation for and has any tips, then that would be great too.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DarkMask09)
    We have been doing material properties and I still don't understand the difference between Toughness and Hardness :confused:. We have to produce a presentation on a material (Stainless Steel) for next week but I'm still struggling to explain toughness. Can someone help?

Our college follows the OCR B Advancing physics course. If anyone has done, the materials presentation for and has any tips/examples, then that would be great too.
    Hello and welcome to TSR physics.

You need to be aware that TSR rules prevent discussion and swapping of information directly related to specific practical assessments.

This thread will be closed if the rules are disobeyed.

Right, having said that, you need to think about hardness as the resistance of a material to deformation. i.e. Is a sheet of glass harder than a block of plastic?

Toughness is the resistance of a material to fracture (breaking). Is a sheet of glass tougher than a sheet of plastic?

Viola.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.