Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I live with my mum and her boyfriend. He earns quite a bit and when I found out, I went on the gov.uk website and found out the loan I'll get isn't even enough to cover my accommodation. He has daughters of his own at university and won't provide for me, and my mum earns half as much as he does so won't be able to send me much either. I've heard of a "non means tested" loan you can get but don't know how true this is... Help?! I'm stressing

ReputationRep:
    The non-means tested loan will only give you the minimum loan, so you wouldn't be any better off.

Do you have any contact with your father? Would he be prepared to help you financially? You couldn't be assessed on his income, but he could give you money without affecting your Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've moved your post to the Student Finance forum, as you'll probably get more useful replies here.

As Klix88 says, the non-means tested loan will only give you the minimum loan amount and no grant at all, so it's probably not of much help to you.

I totally understand why you're stressing, and I do think the way student finance works in this sort of circumstance is less than ideal. Some universities do offer awards/bursaries/scholarships to students alongside their loan- often for local students or high achieving ones as well as those with low income, so this might be an option for you.

I would also talk to your mum and her partner and make sure they fully understand the situation. How long have they lived together? Student finance assess the year before the current tax year for income purposes, so if he's only very recently moved in, his income would not count towards your application for this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Hi

I've moved your post to the Student Finance forum, as you'll probably get more useful replies here.

As Klix88 says, the non-means tested loan will only give you the minimum loan amount and no grant at all, so it's probably not of much help to you.

I totally understand why you're stressing, and I do think the way student finance works in this sort of circumstance is less than ideal. Some universities do offer awards/bursaries/scholarships to students alongside their loan- often for local students or high achieving ones as well as those with low income, so this might be an option for you.

I would also talk to your mum and her partner and make sure they fully understand the situation. How long have they lived together? Student finance assess the year before the current tax year for income purposes, so if he's only very recently moved in, his income would not count towards your application for this year.
    Thank you SlowlorisIncognito! So I shouldn't bother about putting on non means tested then? I will try to sort it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewholetruth)
    Thank you SlowlorisIncognito! So I shouldn't bother about putting on non means tested then? I will try to sort it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's probably best to get your household income assessed, as the level of support you get is on a sliding scale. The non-means tested option is only really worth using if someone in your household isn't willing to provide their financial details to support your application.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.