Turn on thread page Beta

Is there a justification for beating wives? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Does that go for smokers too
    If the majority of society refuse to tolerate smoking then in my opinion it should be made illegal. But why would someone want to legally prevent another individual from smoking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Typical Vienna. :rolleyes:
    hehe, you love it, cutey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorNO)
    Believe it or not Im more interested in determining the general opinion regarding wife beatings. How much the islamic justifications appeal to everybody. How many of the guys believe in hitting a woman. What women think about it (although it obvious). And for what reasons.
    Righto, and can you give me one good reason why it is ok for a man to 'beat' a woman? I noticed that you used the term 'beat' instead of hit... Why did you do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Righto, and can you give me one good reason why it is ok for a man to 'beat' a woman?
    I voted NO. I dont believe in beating or hitting a woman, especially your wife.

(Original post by Sire)
    I noticed that you used the term 'beat' instead of hit... Why did you do so?
    1. This thread was inspired by my recent discussion with a muslim who believes that it is ok to 'beat' wives for specific circumstances.

2. 'beat' and 'hit' means so much the same thing. beat her. hit her. beat the ball. hit the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    We're civilised in this part of the world,
    Wife bashing happens in nearly all corners/parts of the world.

ReputationRep:
    I voted NO. I dont believe in beating or hitting a woman, especially your wife.

1. This thread was inspired by my recent discussion with a muslim who believes that it is ok to 'beat' wives for specific circumstances.

2. 'beat' and 'hit' means so much the same thing. beat her. hit her. beat the ball. hit the ball.
    Not entirely. If I were to 'beat' someone up, it would surely be taken that I kept going past the point of submition by an opponent. If I were to hit someone, then surely that would be viewed differently no? Please do correct me if I'm wrong. Also, pleased to know that you don't agree with beating women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy B)
    Wife bashing happens in nearly all corners/parts of the world.
    True, but in some parts of this wonderful world, 'wife bashing' is deemed to be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Not entirely. If I were to 'beat' someone up, it would surely be taken that I kept going past the point of submition by an opponent. If I were to hit someone, then surely that would be viewed differently no? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you are right. Beating someone up implies more than one hits, or a severe hitting, past the point of submission. Hitting someone, implies something that is done once.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right. Beating someone up implies more than one hits, or a severe hitting, past the point of submission. Hitting someone, implies something that is done once.
    I was just curious is all, as there is really no justification for beating up anybody if it is read that way, though sometimes a good hit is just what the doctor ordered. (and I don't mean hitting women or anyone for that matter for the sake of it people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Only in self-defence. Then again, I'm much more prone to running away, being a coward and all. We're civilised in this part of the world, we don't beat our spouses into submission (or at least, we do and keep quiet about it).

Self-defence wouldn't be a "beating" though - it would be self-defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Yes I think agree with that. Beating implies punishment. By the strong on the weak.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I've seen a blokes defend themselves at pubs a few times, and in some cases the only way to truly defend oneself is to beat the other bloke into submition. Alcohol and pride play a key factor in this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Not really. I've seen a blokes defend themselves at pubs a few times, and in some cases the only way to truly defend oneself is to beat the other bloke into submition. Alcohol and pride play a key factor in this.

But I don't think that can be called "a beating" if it really is justified self-defence.

What I mean is, I voted NO - there are no circumstances where it is acceptable. However, I think if a husband is being violently attacked by his wife, and needs to use physical means to stop her, and hits her, that's ok if he really is under threat. I wouldn't classify this as a beating, and I don't think this is what was originally meant in the question.
    As was said, beating implies punishment or malice, or at least a bad temper.

ReputationRep:
    But I don't think that can be called "a beating" if it really is justified self-defence.

What I mean is, I voted NO - there are no circumstances where it is acceptable. However, I think if a husband is being violently attacked by his wife, and needs to use physical means to stop her, and hits her, that's ok if he really is under threat. I wouldn't classify this as a beating, and I don't think this is what was originally meant in the question.
    As was said, beating implies punishment or malice, or at least a bad temper.
    *nods* I couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that it is ever acceptable for a man to beat a women. When I was 14 I was in a relationship with a guy who I now believe had serious problems. When we fought he would sometimes lash out and I would have to explane away the bruises to my friends and parents. I think that women in abusive relationships need help to get out of them. It doesn't matter the severity of the abuse. It took me over two years to get out of the relationship I was in and the emotional scars will probably be there forever. I don't think that men beating women is purely confined to Islamic countries my ex boyfriend was a white atheist and it happenend in the UK. You only have to look on the internet and you will find many stories of women who have been abused.

Ok what I went through wasn't major I guess but it really screwed me up for a long time so a dread to think how women who had it worse and were married to the guy and have kids with him found it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't see how anyone can justify a man beating a women I mean if anyone feel this way do tell me why but I just can't understand.

ReputationRep:
    Islam does allow a husband to beat his wife.

as explained here:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t23418-18.html

But in islam, a husband is in a position of power over his wife and children. he gets to make the decisions like:

e.g. he can go to work and wife stays at home and looks after kids

but also u have to remember that the husband is held accountable for his familys action. if his kids or wife are not good muslims, it is HIS fault. Allah will hold him accountable. If he mistreats his wife and abuses his position, Allah will punish.

the only thing the wife gets put in charge of is looking after her husband and take care of kids and their house when he is not there.

Moreover he is told to provide for the family. if the wife goes out and earns money, it is hers alone, she does not have to give a penny to her husband unless she chooses to.

Do not forget the marriage contract allows both man and women to stipulate many terms that the other has to abide by. in the contract the woman could write
    "i want to work"
    "I want to finish my education"
    "I wnat to live in this area"

plus when a wife marries (totally her consent) she gets dowry (money) from the husband (and she can ask for as much she wants). in return the husband gets her total support.

but if she is ever unhappy with her husband, she can get a tha-laak (divorce) anytime.

Umair

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised that no-one has yet mentioned that it is also not OK for a woman to hit a man. If domestic violence is wrong, then it is wrong regardless of who performs it.

ReputationRep:
    I would hit a woman - for many reasons - self defence - her killing one of my friends or family .... I think absolutes like "should never do x" are often overblown.

ReputationRep:
    Who is this umair? He's a ****. I don't care whether a religion justifies beating women or not. It is clear that Muslims don't live by the EVERY exact word of the Koran. Their observance of it (as with all religions) is limited by their personal circumstances and nature of the society they live in. It should be known (I'm assuming he's from the UK) that domestic violence is not tolerated in this society, and to be frank, I don't care what justifications one might raise on the grounds of multi-culturalism.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.