Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have an offer for BA Computer Science course starting Oct 2015. The University has classified me as EU fee student based on the Fee Questio
    nnaire I filled up. I am SWISS and studying in London (A level). Living in London with parents who are also SWISS. Before Aug 2013 (start of AS level), we have lived for several years in Switzerland.
    The question is that though the Univ has put as EU Fee student based on the Fee Questionnaire, in the offer letter, they have asked me to demonstrate that I am eligibile to pay fees at EU student rate. To do this, I have been asked to go to site www.gov.uk/student-finance and obtain a 'Financial Notification' to this effect. I don't however need any kind of loan and going on this site, I don't know which form I have to fill up as all seem loan related. Also, on the site, there are two sections (England students and EU students). As I am living and studying in London, should I be filling up forms under England students, though my fee status is EU fees as I am SWISS/child of SWISS parents.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello cam,

As the child of a Swiss national who has been living in Switzerland for the last 3 years & who will be in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of their course & throughout you would be able to apply for full funding as a Home Student.

In order for us to issue you with a Notification of Entitlement letter you would have to submit to an application for the loan, once you have this letter however you can reduce the requested amount of the loans to zero if you do not require them to be paid to you or your university.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks very much for the answer.
    1. When you say 'once you have this letter', does it mean that reducing to 0 is something after I get the letter. Should I fill amount as zero now i.e at the time of filling up the form.
    2. I have made some calls to the Student Finance numbers (both England one and the EU one) but am getting different responses as to which form I need to fill in. As I started in Sep 2013 in AS at London school (full time) and have been living/studying here since Sep2013 with my parents, do I need to fill form PN1 or EUN15(that will come in April 2015). I am still not clear which form I need to fill in. When I go the site https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...us_response_1= there are four options below. Until Aug 2013, I have studied in Switzerland and from Sep 2013, I started AS in London....now in A in the same London school. Will I come in English student Full Time or EU student full time as they take me to different forms. I and my parents are Swiss nationals and I have an offer in Cambridge who have temporarily classified me as EU fee, but have asked to get the notification from Student Finance. I am bit nervous of filling up the wrong form...so any guidance will be a big help.

• English student - full-time
    • English student - part-time
    • EU student - full-time
    • EU student - part-time

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

As you are the child of a swiss national you can apply for UK funding and fill in a PN1 as long as your and your parents are resident in the UK on the first day of your course.

I'm unsure why they're asking you to apply to us for funding if you're not actually going to accept it from us. If you put '0' on the form then the entitlement letter we send out will show that you have been awarded '0.' They then mean take that to mean that you are not entitled to funding from us.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Thanks. If I apply for 0 (zero) amount, the entitlement letter that I will be getting from Student Finance England will state 0 fees, but will it be mentioned somewhere that I am eligible for EU Fees (home fees). The university is just looking for 'Financial Notification' from Student Finance which shows me as eligible for EU fees (home fees). What would you suggest:
    1. Fill up PN1 form asking for 0 amount OR
    2. Fill up PN1 form asking for some % of fees (e.g. 25% tution fee) and then somehow (I don't know the process yet) not take that loan.

Sorry for bothering. Just to state once again, that I don't need any loan. Its only the university which is asking me to get the financial notification from student finance to be classified as EU fee (home fee).
    Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

on the entitlement letter it will show that you are entitled to fees, but not actually getting any. It won't specifically state if these are EU fees or not, this is a term that the institutions use themselves.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.