ReputationRep:
    To me, multiculturalism conjures images of:

-Ghettos in London
    -Anti-terror raids
    -10 people living in a shed in Slough,
    -Increasing the demand for housing
    -Increasing the demand for school places
    -Increasing the demand for hospitals
    -My local council offering every piece of literature in 20 different languages, good use of my council tax.
    -Gun crime
    -Knife crime
    -Pick-pocketing
    -Clinging to the bottom of lorries in France

So, does multiculturalism actually have any advantages?

NB replies of "we lack certain skills" will be met with laughs. The majority of immigrants are low-skilled, doing jobs any British person could do.

NB2 replies of "British people don't want to do those jobs" will be met with "then remove their benefits".

NB3 replies of "its great to experience different cultures" will be met with "thats what a gap year and holidays are for". You don't invite a Lion in your home if you're interested in wild animals- you visit a Zoo!

ReputationRep:
    Authentic foreign cuisine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    Authentic foreign cuisine.
    You'd accept all of the things in my list happening, just to have some different food (which i am sure any British chef could muster-up)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You'd accept all of the things in my list happening, just to have some different food (which i am sure any British chef could muster-up)?
    I listed an advantage. You never said it had to outweigh the disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    Racial and cultural acceptance, as well as enrichment.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm guessing you're not big on immigration

ReputationRep:
    But to be fair not every immigrant takes on low skilled jobs. Many wealthy business men and women here are also immigrants you know, or at least the children of them. Whether you like it or not immigrants contribute to the economy.

To me, multiculturalism conjures images of:

-Ghettos in London
    -Anti-terror raids
    -10 people living in a shed in Slough,
    -Increasing the demand for housing
    -Increasing the demand for school places
    -Increasing the demand for hospitals
    -My local council offering every piece of literature in 20 different languages, good use of my council tax.
    -Gun crime
    -Knife crime
    -Pick-pocketing

-Clinging to the bottom of lorries in France

So, does multiculturalism actually have any advantages?

NB replies of "we lack certain skills" will be met with laughs. The majority of immigrants are low-skilled, doing jobs any British person could do.

NB2 replies of "British people don't want to do those jobs" will be met with "then remove their benefits".

NB3 replies of "its great to experience different cultures" will be met with "thats what a gap year and holidays are for". You don't invite a Lion in your home if you're interested in wild animals- you visit a Zoo!
    Some of those things you listed were already rampant before multiculturalism. Also some of the most hardworking people are immigrants.

What makes you british?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotiger)
    But to be fair not every immigrant takes on low skilled jobs. Many wealthy business men and women here are also immigrants you know, or at least the children of them. Whether you like it or not immigrants contribute to the economy.
    A minority of immigrants contribute massively.......

The majority of immigrants work low-skilled jobs..........

(and i'm talking about non-Western cultures. I'm not referring to German engineers and French traders)

ReputationRep:
    Rather than go through every single point to say why you're wrong, I'll just ask a question: what's your alternative (bear in mind that such a solution would have to be applicable for every country, not just Britain)? State-sponsored forced homogenisation efforts historically haven't had pleasant results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Some of those things you listed were already rampant before multiculturalism.
    Oh so lets go and make it worse as its already happening? Don't worry about trying to prevent it?

(Original post by Black Cat)
    Also some of the most hardworking people are immigrants.
    Doesn't matter how hard they work. An extra person is still an extra person placing demand on public services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Rather than go through every single point to say why you're wrong, I'll just ask a question: what's your alternative (bear in mind that such a solution would have to be applicable for every country, not just Britain)? State-sponsored forced homogenisation efforts historically haven't had pleasant results.
    Only admit highly-skilled immigrants. The numbers would be extremely low and higher-qualified immigrants tend to be more Western-thinking anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (and i'm talking about non-Western cultures. I'm not referring to German engineers and French traders)
    And so the goalpost-moving begins....

ReputationRep:
    Only admit highly-skilled immigrants. The numbers would be extremely low and higher-qualified immigrants tend to be more Western-thinking anyway.
    And what about the immigrants already here? What about countries that are already multicultural before immigrants are even taken into account (even Britain isn't entirely immune to this - the four home nations exist).

ReputationRep:
    A minority of immigrants contribute massively.......

The majority of immigrants work low-skilled jobs..........

Yes I know you're talking about non-western. Pay more attention to the part where I said their children are contributing. In London there are many UK born Asians and Arabs who have good jobs.

ReputationRep:
    You really can't use immigrants as scapegoats for every problem you can identify in Britain... But that aside:

- Foreign direct investment into the UK is greater from countries that are well represented in the UK through immigration.
    - Immigration rates improve trade between the UK and immigrants’ countries of origin.
    - Schools develop cross-cultural curriculum, which broadens children’s understanding of the world and their neighbours.
    - Skilled immigrants are a key source of information for UK companies in the new global economy.
    - Immigrants can open doors to investment opportunities overseas and help attract foreign investment in the UK.
    - Newcomers bring new education and work experience and an understanding of a global business context.
    - Immigrants can help businesses tap into new local and international markets, and expand your customer base through improved cultural awareness and communications.
    - Enhance creativity, productivity, and decision-making through diverse approaches.
    - Attract and retain top talent in an environment of labour shortages.
    - Achieve a competitive edge by engaging more effectively with diverse customers, clients, suppliers and partner companies internationally.
    - Enhance your corporate image among international customers.
    - Reduce training costs by sourcing international skills and experience from the local immigrant community.

... to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Racial and cultural acceptance, as well as enrichment.
    That's not a benefit to the host culture. That's a benefit to other people. You need to re-read the question. Also, 'accepting' is subjunctive and rather patronizing.

ReputationRep:
    And so the goalpost-moving begins....
    Errrrr no. France and German are part of "The West" which is the same culture we have..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viceroy)
    You really can't use immigrants as scapegoats for every problem you can identify in Britain... But that aside:

- Foreign direct investment into the UK is greater from countries that are well represented in the UK through immigration.
    - Immigration rates improve trade between the UK and immigrants’ countries of origin.
    - Schools develop cross-cultural curriculum, which broadens children’s understanding of the world and their neighbours.
    - Skilled immigrants are a key source of information for UK companies in the new global economy.
    - Immigrants can open doors to investment opportunities overseas and help attract foreign investment in the UK.
    - Newcomers bring new education and work experience and an understanding of a global business context.
    - Immigrants can help businesses tap into new local and international markets, and expand your customer base through improved cultural awareness and communications.
    - Enhance creativity, productivity, and decision-making through diverse approaches.
    - Attract and retain top talent in an environment of labour shortages.
    - Achieve a competitive edge by engaging more effectively with diverse customers, clients, suppliers and partner companies internationally.
    - Enhance your corporate image among international customers.
    - Reduce training costs by sourcing international skills and experience from the local immigrant community.

... to name a few.
    Low-skilled immigrants earning min-wage and you think they improve trade and foreign investment?

Oh my the desperation.......

ReputationRep:
    And what about the immigrants already here? What about countries that are already multicultural before immigrants are even taken into account (even Britain isn't entirely immune to this - the four home nations exist).
    Pretty certain the cultural differences between Wales and Scotland aren't as large as Pakistan/Romania/Somalia and England......

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.