Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've received 4 offers and one rejection, and am now deciding on which university should be my firm and insurance.

So out of UCl, Imperial, York and Bath which one is the best for biochemistry and why?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied for biochem at York and Bath (trying to stay out of London tbh so can't help you with those two sorry) and having visited both, I preferred York. Both cities are lovely but I really liked the look of York personally. I was lucky enough to get a tour from the admissions tutors at York and the labs looked slightly more up to date than those at Bath. The course also looked more interesting to me, its maybe more Biology based but the actual info uses chemistry more. I'm thinking of firming York and having Bath as my insurance, but both are really good uni's and UCL and Imperial are just as good if not better. Hope this helps and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Imperial's the best and I didn't look into UCL, but York seemed to have more sufficient facilities (by that I mean their Biology department is as adequate as their Chemistry one) than Bath even though the staff at Bath are really supportive and have a really appealing course structure.

Depends on what offers you get for each, how confident you are and what you are looking for really...Congratulations on all your offers
    I'd say Imperial and UCL are obviously the most well-known across the globe, but York really stood out for me when I visited. (Didn't visit Imperial, knew I was going to firm it anyway if I got in)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, out of interest what makes you say that imperial is the best for biochemistry? I've heard mixed opinions about the course there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mendezgoon)
    Thanks for the reply, out of interest what makes you say that imperial is the best for biochemistry? I've heard mixed opinions about the course there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just my personal opinion. I didn't look into UCL so I can't say much, I assume the London unis would be the most well-funded and thus carry out more research even though I have to admit the course structure at Imperial is not very flexible, should build good foundation knowledge though and no catching up (neither a good nor bad thing). Among the latter two I think Bath has a better course structure, but York's facilities really impressed me, both Biology and Chemistry departments are equally as equipped.

Depends on what you're looking for really, I know Bath makes their students very employable, whereas I'm more into advanced research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzyc501)
    It's just my personal opinion. I didn't look into UCL so I can't say much, I assume the London unis would be the most well-funded and thus carry out more research even though I have to admit the course structure at Imperial is not very flexible, should build good foundation knowledge though and no catching up (neither a good nor bad thing). Among the latter two I think Bath has a better course structure, but York's facilities really impressed me, both Biology and Chemistry departments are equally as equipped.

Depends on what you're looking for really, I know Bath makes their students very employable, whereas I'm more into advanced research.
    Sorry to sound a bit annoying, but what is it that really attracts you to Imperial? I've got the same offer for York,UCL and Imperial (AAA) which is making it very difficult for me to choose which should be my firm. Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.