The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Cossack
A man who in an 7,392 word essay on the reasons for Islamic fundamentalism discusses Israel for just 195 of them and says the word 'Palestine' 3 times.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/90sep/rage.htm

Otherwise a farly interesting read...

problem?
Reply 221
vienna95
problem?

No nothing Vienna,

I liked ths quote I saw, sums up in a paragraph,in my opinion the relevance of Israel and the US on fundamentalism

'Fears of extinction in Muslim countries centre on the military might of Israel and the Pentagon. When people believe they are fighting for survival, they will often lash out violently - but also in a nihilistic way. In their fear for the future of religion, fundamentalists of all hues distort the message of their scriptures, playing down the compassionate ethos of, for example, the Bible or the Koran. Bad religion, as we saw on 11 September, can result in actions that are wholly evil.' - The New Statesman July 2004
Reply 222

I liked ths quote I saw, sums up in a paragraph,in my opinion the relevance of Israel and the US on fundamentalism

'Fears of extinction in Muslim countries centre on the military might of Israel and the Pentagon. When people believe they are fighting for survival,

that is related to a fanatical strain of Islam fearing extinction from a more contemporary, moderate version. This is the source of volatility in the Muslim world., as Bernard Lewis suggests. It certainly is more coherent than the idea that Israel is trying to wipe the Muslim world out.
Reply 223
vienna95
It certainly is more coherent than the idea that Israel is trying to wipe the Muslim world out.

i have never seen that suggested....my only real critiscm of that Lewis guy is that he suggests that islamic fundamentalsm is due to a fear of the consumerism and seculurism (sp?) of the western world, which whilst ths may be true to an extent. It is not in my opinion the largest reason why we currently have planes flying into buildings, suicide bombers and all the rest of it - which i believe is more due to the US support for Israel, the presence of 'infidels' in SA and a hatred of 'non-believers' having dominance over muslims. Whether this is occurng or not is not really the point as this I believe is the perception for many in the Middle East....

(Just realised how far off the point of the thread Ive gone!)
Reply 224
Cossack
i have never seen that suggested....

it is suggested by the International Solidarity Movement and those who organise Palestinian 'resis.ss...ss...ttt...ance' ...*chokes*
Reply 225
vienna95
it is suggested by the International Solidarity Movement and those who organise Palestinian 'resis.ss...ss...ttt...ance' ...*chokes*

mmm perhaps resistance isnt the best word..seperatists maybe? only joking :smile:
right i just got back from holiday and i've now seen farenheit 9/11 and i disagree with all you doubters i think it was a brilliant movie and micheal moore actually though you may all scream that he's biased did show some quite interesting links about the bush family quite a few of which i didn't know about.
also been reading rising tides (has anyone read it btw?) and it actually, branching slightly away from the topic in hand here, does have some fairly disgusting facts about american consumerism i.e they use more energy (oil basically) than any other country and they waste enough food to feed the whole of africa i mean africa for chrissakes that a huge amount of waste,

i have sources to prove all of these btw (this is aimed mainly at vienna) however its late and i really can't be bothered to fish them out so forgive me
Reply 227
BloodyValentine
some quite interesting links about the bush family quite a few of which i didn't know about.

i have sources to prove all of these btw (this is aimed mainly at vienna) however its late and i really can't be bothered to fish them out so forgive me

you cant be bothered to find sources that claim to show some quite interesting links? thanks for that.
Reply 228
vienna95
you cant be bothered to find sources that claim to show some quite interesting links? thanks for that.

Maybe he/she will when they get back I can understand not wanting to go and find loads of links to post at some late point in the night when you are tired. Surely you can to
vienna95

it was 3 in morning vienna however fine my sources are mainly from rising tides by rory spowers, natural capitalism by Hawken and some from micheal moore

Latest

Trending

Trending