The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akiva.fink
Dont get stressed out. Quite often the Grade boundaries can be reasonably low for this paper. Last two years has been 67/100 for an A*

the grade boundaries are low but the mark scheme is the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen. most of the time I look at the answers and theres no way I wouldve gotten any of that. I'll just hope I get around 45 in the questions and like 15 in the essay and scrape a B.
Reply 1221
Original post by KatiexZoe
Did we settle the debate of what a kinesis was? The way i'm seeing the two ways of describing it is 1. the organism is in favourable environment so turns lots and rapidly to stay in that environment (kind of like going round in a circle if you will). or 2. the organism is in unfavourable environments, so moves and turns lots and does this quickly to increase the chances of it moving out of that area?

Because i thought you'd have more chance of getting out of an unfavourable area by just going straight rather than round in circle if that makes sense?

Please can someone clear this up? Thank you :smile:

When the organism is in its favourable it actually moves around less. Well that's what it says in my book. ._.
Original post by KatiexZoe
Did we settle the debate of what a kinesis was? The way i'm seeing the two ways of describing it is 1. the organism is in favourable environment so turns lots and rapidly to stay in that environment (kind of like going round in a circle if you will). or 2. the organism is in unfavourable environments, so moves and turns lots and does this quickly to increase the chances of it moving out of that area?

Because i thought you'd have more chance of getting out of an unfavourable area by just going straight rather than round in circle if that makes sense?

Please can someone clear this up? Thank you :smile:

its the first one, they'll keep moving in both environments but turn more to stay in a favourable one, in an unfavourable environment they move they same amount but turn less to increase chances of leaving that environment
For kinesis I always thought unfavourable environment = less turning but wikipedia confirms the opposite is true (look up klinokinesis)
Does anyone know where I can find essay help like what to talk about in certain questions ?
my goodness, thank you everybody for your help!

Just to claryify.... polymer's: DNA, carbs, lipids, proteins???
Do both the follicle and the ovaries produce oestrogen, also do both corpus luteum and ovaries produce progesterone?
I'm glad anyway from reading this thread that I'm not the only one who doesn't like taxes and kineses...
I hope tropism comes up because I'm okay with that and usually if there's a tropism there's no taxis or kinesis
Guys need you help with a Dilemma..
10 hours of revision time for Biol5 left.
I have gone over first 4 topics in spec.
what shall i do?
1) attempt as many past papers without going through rest of content (DNA stuff)
2) spend the rest of my time going over the rest of the spec?
Need around 60/100 at atleast.

Thanks in advance.
Would anyone mind briefly summarising restriction mapping? I've never fully understood it and I find the text book quite confusing- thanks!
I hope the essay is on ATP, that would be a beauty. :coma:

I've been averaging 48-51 out of 75 in the last 3 recent papers so hopefully I can get a B/A on this paper and a B overall for bio. I'm retaking this paper since last year I failed it badly, this time I feel far more prepared for the short answer qs but I'm really worried about the essay. :/
Original post by Alihash
what shall i do?
1) attempt as many past papers without going through rest of content (DNA stuff)

Thanks in advance.

Thats more than me I'm still on nerves :frown:
why would the organism move more if its in a favourable environment? wouldnt it want to stay there? I've been taught its random movement in response to an unfavourable environment where there isnt a clear gradient eg temp or humidity in order to get to a favourable one.
Original post by sn4kebiteheart
my goodness, thank you everybody for your help!

Just to claryify.... polymer's: DNA, carbs, lipids, proteins???

not all carbs are polymers, e.g.; glucose is a monomer, 2 glucose molecules are known as disacchrides ( maltose ) and then you have starch which is a polymer.
Original post by JasHay
Any exam technique tips please??????

My teacher said it would be a good idea to read the essay question first and then while you're doing the rest of the paper you can jot down any ideas that come into your head for it :smile:
Original post by sodaman96
Do both the follicle and the ovaries produce oestrogen, also do both corpus luteum and ovaries produce progesterone?

yes and yes
Would the sodium potassium pump be considered as an enzyme?
Original post by Alihash
what shall i do?

Thanks in advance.

In your situation I'd recommend you to read all of these notes: https://7def787516e26c878dc93b38d6ceba5f41124eea.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYaUI1b2xvb0QwSDQ/Key%20Points%20-%20Unit%205%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf
They are a brief of everything we did :smile:
Original post by shiney101
Would the sodium potassium pump be considered as an enzyme?

No :smile:
Original post by halcyon3
yes and yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending