The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by talkbiology
Ahh yes. I said the people surveyed might not be representative of the population? and that people might lie cause they could be ashamed to admit that their parents smoke, lol.

Ye i said the second point but for reason mentioned that questionnaire can have leading biased questions .
Still think thats acceptable.
Original post by Laurasage
Does anyone know the answer to the DNA methylation question?

I nearly cried with happiness at that question, it was about epigenetics haha :biggrin:
It basically stopped RNA polymerase from binding to the promoter region, so less RNA formed => less translation so less of the polypeptide produced. I don't know exactly what the mark points will be
Original post by Gr8banterm9
Spositive feedback? Or negative? Question wasn't specific enough

Negative
Original post by Lucyg97
Will I lose any marks for 1:2.27 for the ratio?
Also how about these essay topics for b:
Intensive farming of animals
Growing crops in optimum conditions (all for growing population)
Finding genetic diseases using dna probes
Genetic counselling to help prevent incidence of genetic diseases
Growing fungus that produces antibiotics for prevention of pathogenic diseases
Genetically modifying crops
- I wrote about five pages on all these topics

Your ratio should be the other way round. As long u showed working thats only 1 mark.

Essay seems good . Upper band 19-25
I nearly cried with happiness at that question, it was about epigenetics haha :biggrin:
It basically stopped RNA polymerase from binding to the promoter region, so less RNA formed => less translation so less of the polypeptide produced. I don't know exactly what the mark points will be

Uhm i said some of that but mentioned transcriptional factor at promoter will not function as it is blocked etc..
Original post by Faaiz Shah
Your ratio should be the other way round. As long u showed working thats only 1 mark.

Essay seems good . Upper band 19-25

Fabulous, thank you. Hoping for full ums, hope you found it ok too!
It dm they'll be able to tell from what you've written, there wasn't a box to write it in :tongue:
sounds like you'll get good marks for relevance and breadth, obviously can't say what you'll get from for scientific content or QWC without reading your essay. I didn't mention immune system either, it was a really broad essay title and there'll be loads of thing on the mark scheme
I awnsered 10.a but didnt write 10.a does that matter??

I talked about
Temp > enzymes and blood
Blood pressure and acidity...
Oxygen affinity and hglobin effected by stuff. Also partial pressure stuff
Talked little bit about oestrous cycle
And blood glucose

I went into alot of detail..
Should have mentioned immune system stuff
What would i get??
10 a) was a pretty decent essay question I thought.
I discussed the following

INTERNAL:
Regulation of blood glucose concentration - insulin/glucagon - type II diabetes
Thermoregulation in endotherms - Heat loss/gain centre in hypothalamus, also threw in a bit about oxidation of brown fat for thermogenesis - otherwise hyper/hypothermia - denaturation of enzymes etc.
Blood pH/CO2 changes during exercise and effect on Heart Rate
Osmolarity of blood - ADH in kidneys which in turn affects blood pressure
Blood Pressure - spec + stuff on renin-angiotensin system and ACE enzymes/inhibitors for those with high blood pressure. E.g. loss of consciousness could result if bp drops too low

EXTERNAL:
Plant tropisms e.g. phototropism for photosynthesis, maximise productivity
Reflex arc e.g. touching a hot object, importance in damage limitation to tissues as rapid/innate
Chameleons, as an example of ectotherms, which are able to change skin colour for thermoregulation (IR absorbed etc.)
Xerophytes and their natural selection in desert climates as they're adapted to conserve water - discussed Crassulacean Acid Metabolism as another spec + point
Also predator/prey visual/acoustic sensitivity to catch prey/flee from predator for survival

There was definitely scope to discuss a lot of other ideas, so it was a fair essay that encouraged breadth :smile:

As for the other questions on the paper, I thought they were more knowledge-based than HSW based when compared to previous years.. Guessing the grade boundaries shouldn't fluctuate too drastically, but it does seem slightly easier than previous years as a general verdict, so I'd say 77ish to get you full UMS compared to 72ish that it's been the past couple of years.

Best of luck, all!
Original post by Lucyg97
Fabulous, thank you. Hoping for full ums, hope you found it ok too!

Yepp!! It was good. I think i got 83-80 so A*. Unless grade boundries are like 90/100 cuz of replacement paper hahah

Wouldn't it stop activator transcription factors binding? Isn't it the transcription factors that bind to the promoter regions?
For the methylation one I said it binds to The base changing the shape so complementary RNA molecules can no longer bind reducing transcription and prevent expression. Is this right?
For the methylation one I said it binds to The base changing the shape so complementary RNA molecules can no longer bind reducing transcription and prevent expression. Is this right?

I did too

Posted from TSR Mobile
It dm they'll be able to tell from what you've written, there wasn't a box to write it in :tongue:
sounds like you'll get good marks for relevance and breadth, obviously can't say what you'll get from for scientific content or QWC without reading your essay. I didn't mention immune system either, it was a really broad essay title and there'll be loads of thing on the mark scheme

Ahhaha i will assume i got atleast 17-18
My first section went really well. Only lost like 4 to 6 marks so hoping fot 83/100 atleast. U??
Sorry but I can't be the only one who thought the myosin binding to myosin was a mistake??
Wouldn't be the first time, AQA made a small mistake in the physics exam...

Same. I put bull**** about t.factors aswell just in case ans promoter region bull****

Did the same
Original post by thatsimmortality
Sorry but I can't be the only one who thought the myosin binding to myosin was a mistake??
Wouldn't be the first time, AQA made a small mistake in the physics exam...

I loved that mistake in the physics exam.
But it wasnt a mistake in this paper bro! basically myosin will just slip so they are not bound so powerstroke cannot take place. Etc etc
What did people put for the myosin question? and the calcium ions closing question?
I loved that mistake in the physics exam.
But it wasnt a mistake in this paper bro! basically myosin will just slip so they are not bound so powerstroke cannot take place. Etc etc

ahah you sat that exam? ohhh okay i wrote about it not binding with actin site and no powerstroke so i think il gain 1 or 2 marks hopefully :P
Original post by allstar1996
10 a) was a pretty decent essay question I thought.
I discussed the following

INTERNAL:
Regulation of blood glucose concentration - insulin/glucagon - type II diabetes
Thermoregulation in endotherms - Heat loss/gain centre in hypothalamus, also threw in a bit about oxidation of brown fat for thermogenesis - otherwise hyper/hypothermia - denaturation of enzymes etc.
Blood pH/CO2 changes during exercise and effect on Heart Rate
Osmolarity of blood - ADH in kidneys which in turn affects blood pressure
Blood Pressure - spec + stuff on renin-angiotensin system and ACE enzymes/inhibitors for those with high blood pressure. E.g. loss of consciousness could result if bp drops too low

EXTERNAL:
Plant tropisms e.g. phototropism for photosynthesis, maximise productivity
Reflex arc e.g. touching a hot object, importance in damage limitation to tissues as rapid/innate
Chameleons, as an example of ectotherms, which are able to change skin colour for thermoregulation (IR absorbed etc.)
Xerophytes and their natural selection in desert climates as they're adapted to conserve water - discussed Crassulacean Acid Metabolism as another spec + point
Also predator/prey visual/acoustic sensitivity to catch prey/flee from predator for survival

There was definitely scope to discuss a lot of other ideas, so it was a fair essay that encouraged breadth :smile:

As for the other questions on the paper, I thought they were more knowledge-based than HSW based when compared to previous years.. Guessing the grade boundaries shouldn't fluctuate too drastically, but it does seem slightly easier than previous years as a general verdict, so I'd say 77ish to get you full UMS compared to 72ish that it's been the past couple of years.

Best of luck, all!

U defo got full marks for essay. I said like all the internal points but said one external point so i reckon i got 17-18.
Section A went well for me . Lost like 4 marks. If that. So atleast 83 hopefully.
U???

Quick Reply

Latest