Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

revision A2 help ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I do biology , physics and chemistry at a-level. I haven't started revising yet and am getting worried. I was wondering how many hours roughly you guys put in for your a2 and what sort of grades you came out with?

ReputationRep:
    I actually haven't done A2 yet, I'm still in year 12 - doing AS in May/June.... Now, think about last year and when you started revising, and what grades that got you! Obviously A2 is different in terms of content and difficulty, but that's still probably a good indication of when you should start revising.

I'd say, from personal experience, that quite a few people won't be starting revision till at least the February half term- and most will probably wait till march/Easter holidays. But obviously it's much better to start as early as you possibly can (without it being too early) i.e now would be a good time to start!

You should make a revision time table, but if that's not something that you find works for you try making it as general as possible. So if for example on Tuesday you have Physics, and Chemistry, have those in the Monday column in your time table. You should know how much work each requires, don't spend most of your time on your best subject, spend it on the subject you're not so good at.

One really good thing about the sciences is that there are really only so many questions they can ask. So if you know the content really well (with all the keywords, technical terms- especially for bio) and do all the past papers, even multiple times (!), then you should be completely fine. Obviously you also need to go over the stuff you're not so good at. I recommend you do a past paper from each module for each subject, without the help of your textbook/ the mark scheme. Then have someone else mark it, or mark yourself really harshly (so that you're not tempted to awards marks that 'you would've gotten anyway' :rolleyes: ) Write down the topics that you didn't get right, if there's not a specific topic that you need to go over then just make key-facts sheets with the points from the mark scheme that you didn't get the marks for, and make sure you know those. You could also make flash cards with the lengthier questions and the model answers at the back (using the mark scheme). Considering that it's still January, you could start with at least an hour or two a day on weekdays (not including homework!!), and 4-5 every Saturday. You can leave Sunday as a day off, or a homework day!

Anyway, good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in year 13, but I put in around 50 hours a week at the moment (including STEP) and hope to get A*A*AA (making it up to A*A*A*AA overall), plus at least 1, 1 this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I'm still in year 13, but I put in around 50 hours a week at the moment (including STEP) and hope to get A*A*AA (making it up to A*A*A*AA overall), plus at least 1, 1 this year.
    when did you start pal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharukhan)
    when did you start pal?
    I've been doing around 40 from the start of the year (September), but only just increased that to 50. I probably have a lot more exams than you, so you should plan your revision accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing around 40 from the start of the year (September), but only just increased that to 50. I probably have a lot more exams than you, so you should plan your revision accordingly.
    I have 8 exams , 2 resits included how much would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    This is 50 hours per week of your own time, i.e. not school time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharukhan)
    I have 8 exams , 2 resits included how much would you recommend?
    I have 18-19 (including 1 resit), so maybe you don't need as much as me.

I would recommend around 30-35 hours per week now, then increase as exams get closer.

Including school time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    This is 50 hours per week of your own time, i.e. not school time?
    Including college time (lessons and free periods). It's only around 13 hours outside of college.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.