9823899s89jojs
Badges: 3
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
During my work experience and general visits to the hospital, I've seen that every doctor has their sleeves rolled up to, I think, prevent infection.

What happens if you have an arm tattoo? Is that not unprofessional?
AsandaLFC
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unethical not unprofessional

Posted from TSR Mobile
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kaiwid23)
During my work experience and general visits to the hospital, I've seen that every doctor has their sleeves rolled up to, I think, prevent infection.

Pretty much. Do the granny test - what do you think a typical 85 year old lady would think?

You need to look smart and professional - that means tattoos, piercings etc need to be discreet and clothing should be appropriate.

(Original post by AsandaLFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eh? :confused:
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kaiwid23)

'Bare below the elbows' is the done thing now, to prevent infection as you say.

I do know a few doctors and medical students with visible tattoos, but (and I really hate that you have to take these kind of things into consideration) if you're planning to get one, it's probably best to do it somewhere where you can easily hide it. Prejudiced people are prejudiced, and unfortunately it probably will affect the way some patients interact with you.
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AsandaLFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absurd. Plus you can't be unethical and still be professional in Medicine.
taysidefrog
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not unethical it just looks unprofessional. Having a tattoo on a part of your body on regular display is a deliberate choice.
If you have a large tattoo on a visible part of your body as a doctor you are saying that you think your right to self expression is more important than the effect doing this has on others. To me that is inconsiderate and unprofessional. It would also make me wonder if they were a bit narcissistic and enjoyed deliberately being provocative and confrontational.
Tattoos seem to be becoming more mainstream and when we live in a society where professional people regularly have exposed tattoos this won't apply but at the moment I'd advise young doctors to have tattoos on covered areas.
I think as doctors we do have to present a rather bland façade to the public so that people from a wide range of backgrounds can feel comfortable discussing intimate problems with us.
Dress as outlandishly as you want when not at work but try and look how you think your granny expects a doctor to look when at work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads