Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I originally had my mind set on taking Art, Photography and Graphics for A level next year (along with English lit.), but since I've heard how much work goes into all of these subjects I'm questioning everything completely. I hope to have an art-focused career so these subjects would be quite helpful, but... I'm just really really scared and worried that I won't be able to keep up the workload. Does anyone do all of these subjects at A-level? Any advice or info on your experience would be really helpful, thank you! :bigsmile::blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohsugarplums)
    I originally had my mind set on taking Art, Photography and Graphics for A level next year (along with English lit.), but since I've heard how much work goes into all of these subjects I'm questioning everything completely. I hope to have an art-focused career so these subjects would be quite helpful, but... I'm just really really scared and worried that I won't be able to keep up the workload. Does anyone do all of these subjects at A-level? Any advice or info on your experience would be really helpful, thank you! :bigsmile::blush:
    Hiya, it seems like a great choice for an art based career but it really depends on how well you cope with a large coursework load. It might be a good idea to look into a course that you might like to do in the future and look at the requirements- you might not need to do all 3 and could drop down to 2. Several of my best friends are doing art and graphics at GCSE and they are struggling under the amount/deadlines of coursework on top of everything else. (English lit will prob be quite time consuming as well). However it is your choice- there's no point doing a subject that you won't enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hiya, it seems like a great choice for an art based career but it really depends on how well you cope with a large coursework load. It might be a good idea to look into a course that you might like to do in the future and look at the requirements- you might not need to do all 3 and could drop down to 2. Several of my best friends are doing art and graphics at GCSE and they are struggling under the amount/deadlines of coursework on top of everything else. (English lit will prob be quite time consuming as well). However it is your choice- there's no point doing a subject that you won't enjoy
    Ah, yes, I'm okay with coursework as long as I keep on top of it but I do tend to put a lot of effort into my current art subjects which means I tend to get left behind. My college says everyone should take 4 subjects as a minimum because of the odd government changes with A-level requirements or something, so I'm not really sure of what's going on regarding dropping subjects. :confused: Thank you so much though

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yes, I'm okay with coursework as long as I keep on top of it but I do tend to put a lot of effort into my current art subjects which means I tend to get left behind. My college says everyone should take 4 subjects as a minimum because of the odd government changes with A-level requirements or something, so I'm not really sure of what's going on regarding dropping subjects. :confused: Thank you so much though
    I know I'm in year 11 too and it's all a bit confusing. I know that some a levels are eventually going to be so that you have to carry on for the 2 years and do all your a levels at the end of year 13 (no AS) and some schools are choosing to do it straight away and others gradually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    I know I'm in year 11 too and it's all a bit confusing. I know that some a levels are eventually going to be so that you have to carry on for the 2 years and do all your a levels at the end of year 13 (no AS) and some schools are choosing to do it straight away and others gradually
    Yes, that's it, it's quite confusing! :eek: Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    It severely limits your degree options.

EDIT: but should be fine if that's the degree you want to do.

in terms of work i hear art is a lot of it.

ReputationRep:
    I chose to do 3 design subjects (art, product design and moving image) and Im almost finished now so it is doable! Just be prepared to be staying up lots to do all the coursework :/

ReputationRep:
    I myself do not take these subjects, but I'm friends with several people who are only doing Design Subjects. From what they have said, the real thing you need to consider is your time management skills. Having a high level of Coursework based subjects means you need to be devoted and dedicated to spending several weekends each month working on your Coursework and really making sure you hit deadlines.

Of course, if you're extremely passionate about them and think you could manage, I'd say go for it! Everyone I know who does them absolutely loves them. But if you're still not sure I'd ask your teachers if they think you'd be able to cope.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with EmmaLouise759 C:
    I've also found that spending as many of your study classes as possible working on coursework helps, and if you can spare a few evenings after school, that really will give you a boost too! With all the coursework, I usually make myself take frequent breaks to refresh my eyes and just do something mindless so I can return later refreshed and rested, with the potential to see a new perspective on a subject- hope this helps! :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaLouise759)
    I myself do not take these subjects, but I'm friends with several people who are only doing Design Subjects. From what they have said, the real thing you need to consider is your time management skills. Having a high level of Coursework based subjects means you need to be devoted and dedicated to spending several weekends each month working on your Coursework and really making sure you hit deadlines.

Of course, if you're extremely passionate about them and think you could manage, I'd say go for it! Everyone I know who does them absolutely loves them. But if you're still not sure I'd ask your teachers if they think you'd be able to cope.
    Thank you lots!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyfluentwhite)
    I chose to do 3 design subjects (art, product design and moving image) and Im almost finished now so it is doable! Just be prepared to be staying up lots to do all the coursework :/
    I see - thank you, I hope you get good results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyfluentwhite)
    I completely agree with EmmaLouise759 C:
    I've also found that spending as many of your study classes as possible working on coursework helps, and if you can spare a few evenings after school, that really will give you a boost too! With all the coursework, I usually make myself take frequent breaks to refresh my eyes and just do something mindless so I can return later refreshed and rested, with the potential to see a new perspective on a subject- hope this helps! :3
    That helps a lot, thank you for the advice! :hugs:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.