Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys, I just am sick and tired of this problem and want to go about confronting it somehow. For about 3 years now I've had this problem where if I speak with someone new or in front of a lot of people my head shakes badly and my neck feels very tense then I stare at the ground and start getting sweaty then I become really self conscious . Because of this problem, I have put off any work experience, going out with friends and going out at all (besides getting out to go to school) for about 2 years. I don't know what to do, I can't really speak to family about it because I'm not very close to anyone I kind of stick to myself. I can't go to the gp or doctors because I don't want anyone to know and even if I did their drugs may be ineffective. I comfort eat to soothe my anxiety and take my mind away from how much of a loser I really am. I'm also overweight (90kg 178cm 17 y/o). Any thoughts, comments are much appreciated.

    Drugs are not the only solution for social anxiety. Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can also be very effective for anxiety. You are not a loser, you are suffering, and there are people who can help. You wouldn't try to let a broken leg heal on its own. There are some self-help CBT programmes out there, and you might find mindfulness helpful, but if you have been suffering for three years and are getting worse, it really might be time to seek some help.

    Do please try to see your GP - they should be able to refer you to some CBT. Your GP is not going to tell anyone unless you want them to. (If you are doing exams and your anxiety means you need extra time, you might benefit from a GP who can write a letter to school justifying the extra time.) Drugs might be ineffective, but they also might help you. Discuss your concerns with your GP; sometimes medication helps people just enough to let them engage with CBT.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.