Yeah go for it....

Surprised you're going for it tbh...you have a PhD

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Yeah go for it....

Surprised you're going for it tbh...you have a PhD
    Well PhD is very different from Medicine so there are plenty of PhD holders who go and get a medical degree.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied but I intent to try out for Kings and Warwick, when I finally finish my PhD. Let me know how your application goes!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by catrin2020)
    Hey all,

I intend of applying for undergraduate medicine during my PhD (for both deferred and normal entry). Tuition fees and work experience are not an issue, and I intend on applying to UCL, imperial, kings, and oxford. In some places I have heard that students with a PhD are easily accepted onto the undergrad medical course, however in other places I have heard that it makes no difference at all. Has anyone previously applied to the above universities and been offered a place? It would be extremely helpful to know how the interviews went, what was discussed etc, as well as any other advice/things to consider regarding this.

Thanks

Edit: I also have the required a levels in maths, chem, bio and phys (A*AAA)
    Very few apply with phds to Oxford undergrad. The year group is a lot younger than other med schools, I gather. Last year 2 graduates got offers from 20 applicants. I can't comment on specific post-PhD success rate though.

The grad entry program, however, is dominated by phd students.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why you'd apply to an undergraduate 5 year course, at greater expense, when you're well placed to do it in a shorter period of time for less money? Admittedly there's less competition for some courses, but you could apply to Kings A101 and they sometimes offer you a place on A100 if you're unsuccessful for example.

You could also apply to Warwick A101 which would definitely give you more points in the application process for 'merely' (I say that lightly...) having a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Honest opinion?

Pointless. Most Universities will instantly reject you as a time waster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    Honest opinion?

Pointless. Most Universities will instantly reject you as a time waster.
    Clearly not true.

ReputationRep:
    Why not use the PHD and carve a career? You are going to be a perpetual student ? If you are intent on medicine look at what life is like for an F1 /2 and then take a view.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, have you considered Imperial GEP?

With an PhD, provided you've got a solid range of work experience to reflect on and solid BMAT, you'll stand a very good chance of getting an interview (and from there, very high chance of an offer. The past few years has been about 70% success rate).

I bet you've thought really hard about this decision to apply for medicine, but can I just ask what made you to want to do medicine after your PhD?
    This is a really tough road to go down, especially for grads as you'd have to make much bigger of a sacrifice than the school-leavers. just a gentle reminder to really make sure you think hard about it.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I intend of applying for undergraduate medicine during my PhD (for both deferred and normal entry). Tuition fees and work experience are not an issue, and I intend on applying to UCL, imperial, kings, and oxford. In some places I have heard that students with a PhD are easily accepted onto the undergrad medical course, however in other places I have heard that it makes no difference at all. Has anyone previously applied to the above universities and been offered a place? It would be extremely helpful to know how the interviews went, what was discussed etc, as well as any other advice/things to consider regarding this.

Thanks

They love that **** (PHD) its the maximum qualification and will boost their entry standards and rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Thanks

Just out of interest, what's your PhD in?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.