Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pre-PGCE Volunteering - What to ask to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the slightly unspecific thread title, I couldnt think of a better way to phrase it.

Ahead of applying for a PGCE Secondary History in October this year, I'm volunteering 2 days a week at my former high school (and intend to do a few days at least at my former sixth form once we can sort some time out between us - its awkward with my other volunteering and working 4-5 days a week, so there's only one day a week I have free at present). They're being really brilliant with me and have said they'll support me in gaining experience in whatever areas I need.

So far I'm doing observations and TA work in classes, some marking, displays, helping with scribing and reading for children who need it and starters and plenarys. I'm about to start team teaching some lessons with the class teachers (including three tomorrow, slightly nervous....), and will be running GCSE revision classes as the season approaches.

The problem is, they keep asking me what else I want to do, and my mind goes blank and I'm not sure what else would be beneficial?

So my question (got to it eventually) is this: what, if anything, do you think would've been beneficial to gain experience in prior to your application or starting the course?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the Teachers' Standards - by the end of your PGCE you'll have to provide evidence to show how you meet these standards. If you can start looking at them now and thinking about how everything you are currently doing in your volunteering enables you to meet those standards, it will be much easier when you document them 'for real'.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say try Beanstalk but you are well ahead of the game than me, sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.