Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im a 17 year old girl planning to study physics at uni next year but will have braces in my first year,is having braces at this age fairly normal or will people think its at bit strange :/

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have my braces taken off 'til I was well into age 18 I was still at college when I had them removed but it's not unknown of to be heading into your 20s before they're taken off. If anyone notices them it'll be a fleeting "huh, braces" moment that will never occur to them again. People at Uni tend to be a lot less judgmental, so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    No there shouldn't be a problem just prepare for pain, braces hurt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andaxay)
    I didn't have my braces taken off 'til I was well into age 18 I was still at college when I had them removed but it's not unknown of to be heading into your 20s before they're taken off. If anyone notices them it'll be a fleeting "huh, braces" moment that will never occur to them again. People at Uni tend to be a lot less judgmental, so I wouldn't worry.
    Thanks that really put my mind at rest as most of my friend had them on and off in early teens and i really didnt want it to ruin my uni experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emski)
    No there shouldn't be a problem just prepare for pain, braces hurt!
    I heard theyre really painful which isnt very good for me as im terriefied of the dentist, and hate them going near my mouth, ive already had 5 teeth out that was traumatic enough for me im glad to hear that it wont be an issue at uni though, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I know several people at university with braces. Nobody cares in the slightest. I think people dramatically overthink braces in general to be honest. They're a massive nuisance in terms of eating, they can hurt a bit and are really inconvenient in so many ways, but I don't think I've ever seen more than an extremely low level of "banter" in relation to braces.

Loads of people have braces. They've become very normal in everyday life now, and I don't think you have anything at all to worry about, university or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President Snow)
    I know several people at university with braces. Nobody cares in the slightest. I think people dramatically overthink braces in general to be honest. They're a massive nuisance in terms of eating, they can hurt a bit and are really inconvenient in so many ways, but I don't think I've ever seen more than an extremely low level of "banter" in relation to braces.

Loads of people have braces. They've become very normal in everyday life now, and I don't think you have anything at all to worry about, university or not.
    Thats great to hear, thanks

ReputationRep:
    i have braces my friend who is at oxford studying medicine has braces dont worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiamarni)
    i have braces my friend who is at oxford studying medicine has braces dont worry about it
    im glad it doesnt sound as uncommon and such a big issue as i thought i might be, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abimoon)
    I heard theyre really painful which isnt very good for me as im terriefied of the dentist, and hate them going near my mouth, ive already had 5 teeth out that was traumatic enough for me im glad to hear that it wont be an issue at uni though, thanks
    People at uni really are not very judgmental since they are all so different but get thrown together and have to live with one another. Nobody will mind

For the record, when I got my braces I was a lot younger than you - 5 or so years ago and I didn't find it painful and my pain threshold is only average.

The most painful dental procedure I had done was a root canal filling.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had braces all the way through my first year at uni. No-one ever commented on them, the only issue would have been if they had broke - I would have had to travel all the way back home to have them fixed because you can't generally transfer to an orthodontist near your uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abimoon)

yeah braces might not be the best...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    i have braces, and have not had any trouble from people about about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.