Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stupid things Jonathan Pearce has said watch

ReputationRep:
    These continue to pile up.

- In the Brighton v Arsenal match, he said the Arsenal handball wasn't a penalty because it was ball to hand, which is true given the Arsenal player was sticking his arm in the way for a few seconds, thus when the ball was kicked it happened to hit his arm... like most handballs when a player sticks his hand in the way to block it.

- He said something stupid last week or something, but I forget what it was.

- Infamous meltdown when the 'goalline technology' showed two instances in a row, with the latter showing the ball crossing the line, but Pearce asking "if it didn't cross the line the first time, does that mean it's not a goal?!", then trying to declare everyone was confused and this goalline technology is far too complicated for us for several minutes, with shouting. Keown zoned out.

- United vs Spurs in January 2011, Rafael was sent off (as usual) after 75 minutes and two yellow cards, rightly so. Pearce spent the rest of the match declaring it shouldn't have been a red card because "surely a game of this importance shouldn't be settled by a sending off". Thus declaring his backing for the new rule that all matches involving anyone in the top 5 should not have red cards.

- "It's such a simple game, such an exquisite game, when a simple game is played exquisitely"

- "Yeah baby"

- His attempts at pronouncing Spanish players ("Chavvy... to Cathorla"). He is That Guy who thinks he's being really fluent and ethnic when he's just sounding even more inaccurate and a tourist.

- I don't remember if it was him that saw one of the Gallaghers at a City match and suddenly blurted out "IN THE SUN-SHYINE"

- Twitter bonus: "Jones = young Vidic. Smalling = young Rio. Utd have cb partnership fpor [sic] years to come"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    - I don't remember if it was him that saw one of the Gallaghers at a City match and suddenly blurted out "IN THE SUN-SHYINE"
    Legit pissed myself reading this.

His meltdown at the World Cup is still my favourite. Martin Keown was like his carer.

ReputationRep:
    1st one doesn't make sense. There is a difference between handball and ball to hand. The ball was basically blasted at him and there was no way he could move his arm, can't be giving pens for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    1st one doesn't make sense. There is a difference between handball and ball to hand. The ball was basically blasted at him and there was no way he could move his arm, can't be giving pens for that.
    He stuck his arm out for ages. Some players in that position have actually put their hands behind their back to avoid a penalty.

ReputationRep:
    He stuck his arm out for ages. Some players in that position have actually put their hands behind their back to avoid a penalty.
    Didn't really 'stick it out'. It wasn't behind his back, sure, but it would have been ridiculous to award a penalty for it.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really 'stick it out'. It wasn't behind his back, sure, but it would have been ridiculous to award a penalty for it.
    Just to end this quickly, here's the incident at 5:05 from a couple of angles:

Ball to hand... because the idiot has his arms outstretched as far as he can get them.

ReputationRep:
    Just to end this quickly, here's the incident at 5:05 from a couple of angles:

Ball to hand... because the idiot has his arms outstretched as far as he can get them.
    They are all agreeing with me :confused:

ReputationRep:
    They are all agreeing with me :confused:
    You're supposed to look at the incident, not let others tell you what happened. Perhaps this is the problem, you haven't come to your own conclusion. Why allow yourself to be swayed by Mark Lawrenson and Jonathan Pearce of all people?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I remember this, it was him

"The one significant change is in fact the second significant change"
    Peace, Jonathan - Circa 2012.

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to look at the incident, not let others tell you what happened. Perhaps this is the problem, you haven't come to your own conclusion. Why allow yourself to be swayed by Mark Lawrenson and Jonathan Pearce of all people?
    I said it wasn't a penalty before you posted that and seeing it again hasn't changed my opinion.

Start a thread with a poll and we'll see what the FF thinks. Pen or no pen.

ReputationRep:
    I said it wasn't a penalty before you posted that and seeing it again hasn't changed my opinion.

Start a thread with a poll and we'll see what the FF thinks. Pen or no pen.
    Why would I do that? Not only does that go against everything I said in the last few posts, but most importantly: who cares? Our last posts should've been the final posts on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I do that? Not only does that go against everything I said in the last few posts, but most importantly: who cares? Our last posts should've been the final posts on the matter.
    OK cool.

ReputationRep:
    When Dante scored against Italy in the Confed cup in 2013 in Salvador and he shouted "Salvador is Dante's inferno!"

Didn't even make sense.

The goal-line technology meltdown is still the funniest though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The goal-line technology meltdown is still the funniest though.
    Need to see this again. Laughing to myself now. The rage and shouting was hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else remember him on Channel 5 back in the day? Those are his most infamous memories as a commentator for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Anyone else remember him on Channel 5 back in the day? Those are his most infamous memories as a commentator for me.
    I remember a commentator who sounded 100% like Jeremy Clarkson seeing a long range shot and saying "**** me!"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    He screamed "how hard? GERRARD!" when he scored during a UEFA Cup tie for Liverpool back in like 2001.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.