Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with student loans & grants for living costs. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to go back to college on a Veterinary Nursing course, but I'm held back by finances.

The course is a Level 3 diploma and as I am under 24 and I have not yet completed a Level 3 course, my course fees will be covered.

The only thing I need to work out now is how I am going to come up with my living expenses for the 2 - 3 years on the course.

I did a similar course a few years ago (level 2 Diploma in Animal care) which was only 16 hours per week, but I was spending an extra 20 hours per week on assignments & revision.

This course is 40 hours per week, has twice as many assignments and is a lot harder. So the 40 hours at college, plus 20+ hours on revision and assignments. means I won't have time for a part time job.

I have been searching and searching online to see what my options are...

I will not be able to get any benefits. The only way I could is if I had a child under 5 years old! That's not an option! I want to get my career sorted before having kids.

As I am 22 years old, I am not eligible for any bursaries from the college.

The army offers a bursary of £1,000 for every year of my course, plus another £1,000 on completion. That's not going to work as I don't want to join the army after my course and £1,000 per year is just not enough.

I've been searching for apprenticeships that lead to the same Qualification as I'd be paid a wage while I learn, but in 7 months I have only found 3 and the closest was 160 miles away.

The only options left are student loans and grants. I seem to be eligible for both in every way but one... None of them mention Further education, they all say higher education.

So I have 2 questions....

Are student grants and loans available to further education students, or are they only for higher education students?

Is there any other ways to cover my living costs whilst in further education?

I really, really want to do this course! It's the only thing that stands between me and my dream job, but it's not an option if I cannot pay my bills and buy food. I don't want to end up in a dead end, minimum wage job! Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddmcmxciii)
    I am wanting to go back to college on a Veterinary Nursing course, but I'm held back by finances.

The course is a Level 3 diploma and as I am under 24 and I have not yet completed a Level 3 course, my course fees will be covered.

The only thing I need to work out now is how I am going to come up with my living expenses for the 2 - 3 years on the course.

I did a similar course a few years ago (level 2 Diploma in Animal care) which was only 16 hours per week, but I was spending an extra 20 hours per week on assignments & revision.

This course is 40 hours per week, has twice as many assignments and is a lot harder. So the 40 hours at college, plus 20+ hours on revision and assignments. means I won't have time for a part time job.

I have been searching and searching online to see what my options are...

I will not be able to get any benefits. The only way I could is if I had a child under 5 years old! That's not an option! I want to get my career sorted before having kids.

As I am 22 years old, I am not eligible for any bursaries from the college.

The army offers a bursary of £1,000 for every year of my course, plus another £1,000 on completion. That's not going to work as I don't want to join the army after my course and £1,000 per year is just not enough.

I've been searching for apprenticeships that lead to the same Qualification as I'd be paid a wage while I learn, but in 7 months I have only found 3 and the closest was 160 miles away.

The only options left are student loans and grants. I seem to be eligible for both in every way but one... None of them mention Further education, they all say higher education.

So I have 2 questions....

Are student grants and loans available to further education students, or are they only for higher education students?

Is there any other ways to cover my living costs whilst in further education?

I really, really want to do this course! It's the only thing that stands between me and my dream job, but it's not an option if I cannot pay my bills and buy food. I don't want to end up in a dead end, minimum wage job! Please help me!
    student loans are only for higher education - so foundation degrees up. As your 22 there really isn't anything available to cover living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    student loans are only for higher education - so foundation degrees up. As your 22 there really isn't anything available to cover living costs.
    I could go down the higher education route, but I didn't do my A levels so getting accepted into a university will be difficult.

The university route would take 7 years, where as the college course would only take 3 to get registered as an RVN.
    The qualifications gained at university are much better, but I wouldn't need them.

If I went to university though, I'd have access to grants and student loans until I can land a part time job that fits around my studying. It's just getting in to university without my A levels that's the problem here. Can I do some sort of access course?

My only other option would be an apprenticeship, but I cannot find anyone looking to hire a Veterinary apprentice.

I am thinking of just enrolling, which will put my income down to 0. It will be one hell of a struggle to survive, but I really want this so much.

Looks like the best option is a tent and some Ray Mears style bushcraft. For 3 years!!!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There might be an acess course. Have you looked at the local college websites? And have you checked whether part time is an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    There might be an acess course. Have you looked at the local college websites? And have you checked whether part time is an option?
    I have looked on the Nottingham university website. It does not say anything about an access course, but there is a thing about a gateway year that lowers the entry requirements to 5 GCSE's at Grade B.

I still don't have 5 B grade GCSE's. They are a lot easier to get than A levels, but my local colleges only offer GCSE Maths, English and Biology. I would need another 2.

The main 2 I'd need are biology and chemistry. I can do the Biology, Maths and English at my local college part-time for 1 year. I'd still need Chemistry and another GCSE though.

Can these online GCSE and A level courses be trusted? Has anyone used them before?

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool university also offers a Year 0 foundation to health and veterinary studies course. They also require 5 B grade GCSE's.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.