Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The head of my course is ignoring me. How can I submit my work independently Watch

The title of my thread sounds so boring so don't know how many replies I will get but here goes.

I I took a year out from my MA in Social work to have a baby. On returning I was told the the structure of the course has now changed and so I would need to submit the two essays independently. It took me months before the head of my course arranged a meeting with me and that only happened because i got the student Union involved.
    I have one module to complete now as waiting for my other essay to be marked. I have seen the essay and eager to start work on it. Except the head of my course, who is supposed to be giving me tutorials is ignoring me again. Contacting the student Union is an option, but he would probably meet up with me once and I would have a problem to see him again and that is no use.

Im really at a loss now as to what to do. Do you know if I can simply write the essay as best I can and hand it in to the social worker department at my university. Well, obviously you won't know about my university specifically but as a general university question.

When i phone up, the University are saying I need to speak to the head of my course. But since I can't get hold of him this response isn't good enough.

The he whole situation is a absolutely ridiculous.

The head of my course is stepping down soon so I think he thinks he doesn't need to do anything as its not his problem anymore.

Visitng his office makes no difference. He's never there :confused:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The title of my thread sounds so boring so don't know how many replies I will get but here goes.

I I took a year out from my MA in Social work to have a baby. On returning I was told the the structure of the course has now changed and so I would need to submit the two essays independently. It took me months before the head of my course arranged a meeting with me and that only happened because i got the student Union involved.
    I have one module to complete now as waiting for my other essay to be marked. I have seen the essay and eager to start work on it. Except the head of my course, who is supposed to be giving me tutorials is ignoring me again. Contacting the student Union is an option, but he would probably meet up with me once and I would have a problem to see him again and that is no use.

Im really at a loss now as to what to do. Do you know if I can simply write the essay as best I can and hand it in to the social worker department at my university. Well, obviously you won't know about my university specifically but as a general university question.

When i phone up, the University are saying I need to speak to the head of my course. But since I can't get hold of him this response isn't good enough.

The he whole situation is a absolutely ridiculous.

The head of my course is stepping down soon so I think he thinks he doesn't need to do anything as its not his problem anymore.

Visitng his office makes no difference. He's never there :confused:
    By independently I mean away from everyone else and not attending lectures with anyone else. My tutor is suppsoed To be teaching me the lectures, choosing the question I need to answer and giving me a deadline for submitting.

ReputationRep:
    By independently I mean away from everyone else and not attending lectures with anyone else. My tutor is suppsoed To be teaching me the lectures, choosing the question I need to answer and giving me a deadline for submitting.
    As it is MA social work have you considered contacting the NHS trust involved?

(Original post by bownessie)
    As it is MA social work have you considered contacting the NHS trust involved?
    I haven't actually. Everyone is telling me I have to put up with everything but I felt that there must be another way

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually. Everyone is telling me I have to put up with everything but I felt that there must be another way
    Well you can't put up with everything if they aren't telling you what to do/helping you. I'd consider contacting them and see if they can smooth out some of the issues with your training provider. Alternatively, email the head of faculty or something

I think that may have to be the best step. Just so stressed :-(

ReputationRep:
    I think that may have to be the best step. Just so stressed :-(
    have you got contact details for other lecturers? I would send one of them an email and explain the situation, ask for some simple guidance/a copy of the notes and whether you can submit it independently (which I'm sure you will be able to)

it's not okay but I've heard about several course leaders who let students down A LOT as they are just too busy to deal with some of the tutoring responsibilities they are given

ReputationRep:
    Why is the head of your course meant to be giving you one-on-one tuition?

(Original post by poohat)
    Why is the head of your course meant to be giving you one-on-one tuition?
    I can't join the course with the rest of the year as the course details have changed too much so it has been arranged for him to do it. He is too busy to effectively do it but I have been consistently told he needs to sort it out. Think previous advice is good and I shall message the lecturer of the module.

It's not an uncommon situation

ReputationRep:
    Who decided that he should be giving you tuition? Thats the person you should be bringing this up with.

I have to say that it seems like a strange situation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.