Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've had depression for a few years now. I'm 21 and in my second year of uni. I was diagnosed in my first year of uni in my uni's health service and have been put on antidepressants. I don't think they help but that's another story.

I've really struggled this semester. As in not going into the majority of my labs and lectures due to feelings of **** it all and wanting to sit in bed staring at the walls. Leaving my room gets too much for me and i have anxiety over the stupidest of things, like walking on the street or taking buses.

ANYWAY enough rant. I just wanted to ask if my uni would consider my case as extenuating circumstances.

I have submitted medical evidence but my doctor said on the form it had a 'moderate impact'. I feel like he really doesn't understand how much it affected me this semester. Like he doesn't believe me. Despite me reporting how **** I feel every time I go back there. My uni's policy is that with long term medical conditions, evidence of 'worsening/fluctuating' conditions immediately before the exam period must be submitted. Heh. My doc said 'moderate impact'. As in it had little impact on my functionality.

I went to counselling and it didn't help at all. It was basically 3 sessions of telling me to go outside more and eat better (I have an eating disorder).

I was hoping I'd get to retake exams in the summer retake period with no cap. I am almost certain I've failed my exams.

I don't know what to do. I know I can retake the exams, i had 5 in the summer and get capped at 40. But wtf is the point in this system if I'm gonna get treated as if i'm making it all up.

I'm sorry this was too ranty and I dont even know if there's a proper question.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by idungoofed)
    Hi all,

I've had depression for a few years now. I'm 21 and in my second year of uni. I was diagnosed in my first year of uni in my uni's health service and have been put on antidepressants. I don't think they help but that's another story.

I've really struggled this semester. As in not going into the majority of my labs and lectures due to feelings of **** it all and wanting to sit in bed staring at the walls. Leaving my room gets too much for me and i have anxiety over the stupidest of things, like walking on the street or taking buses.

ANYWAY enough rant. I just wanted to ask if my uni would consider my case as extenuating circumstances.

I have submitted medical evidence but my doctor said on the form it had a 'moderate impact'. I feel like he really doesn't understand how much it affected me this semester. Like he doesn't believe me. Despite me reporting how **** I feel every time I go back there. My uni's policy is that with long term medical conditions, evidence of 'worsening/fluctuating' conditions immediately before the exam period must be submitted. Heh. My doc said 'moderate impact'. As in it had little impact on my functionality.

I went to counselling and it didn't help at all. It was basically 3 sessions of telling me to go outside more and eat better (I have an eating disorder).

I was hoping I'd get to retake exams in the summer retake period with no cap. I am almost certain I've failed my exams.

I don't know what to do. I know I can retake the exams, i had 5 in the summer and get capped at 40. But wtf is the point in this system if I'm gonna get treated as if i'm making it all up.

I'm sorry this was too ranty and I dont even know if there's a proper question.
    Your uni can't do anything without proper medical evidence. That's why they cap resits - because otherwise some people would take advantage. If your medical evidence isn't sufficient then that isn't the uni's fault.If you go and see your tutor with the attitude displayed in this post, they will not want to help you. I understand you're annoyed, but you're directing your feelings at the wrong place.

You need to go back to your doctor, and see if they will write a better note. Discuss their reasons for saying your anxiety only had a "moderate impact". It might be that you actually are better than you think. Some people do have such bad anxiety that they literally cannot go to the doctors, so the fact that you got there shows that actually you can do things if you try hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that you need to go back to your doctor. The uni's hands are really tied by what the doctor has written in the note.

They have written a note saying that your condition has a moderate effect on you functionally, which to me suggests they are thinking about your life as a whole e.g. keeping yourself clean, getting dressed, being able to get to/from uni etc. You need to explain that it has a much greater effect on your ability to study.

Maybe your doctor could write another note for uni explaining what they mean by "moderate" in study/learning terms, such as an inability to concentrate, lessened ability to take in and remember information, disproportionate levels of anxiety in exams etc. You might need to explain this to them first.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.