Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You you will know human history is full of "deadbeat" ideas and human society has some now and will continue to have some forever. Thought advances through the rational debate of ideas and the ideas that win the debate through wisdom and reason win out.

One problem with human beings is that we are sensitive and persistent. Often when pushed into a corner, we fight our corner. If someone challenges our beliefs, even if the challenge is reasonable, it just makes a human being stronger in his beliefs.

Here enters the need for "trolling" by putting forward a point of view that isn't your own, one that is designed to deconstruct, perhaps build around a previously known flawed position, or one that uses a position in a way that is ridiculous or completely ironic a skilled debater can make someone effectively challenge their own position. In some cases this is the only way to make progress in a debate because human are not completely rational; they are sensitive, subjective and stubborn.

Why therefore is the concept of trolling looked down upon, used to remove comments and in many cases in my experienced used to remove factual comments that are considered insensitive or offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because when your face will be stuck like this forever:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  17ielvjicc32pjpg.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  73.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    Because playing devil's advocate on hot-button topics can end in a flame war and really preying on someone's insecurities and trauma if they are vulnerable. For example, even if I don't think it personally, pretending that I believe all Jews should get thrown down a well* is going to remind a good few people about their dead grand-dad in Auschwitz and piss them off. This then creates a toxic atmosphere on the site and might lead to some real-world repercussions: let's not forget that you and I are both real people (unless you are some creepy malware put up like ReplacementCertificates ) and, if significantly offended, could take real-world action.

Since humans are not entirely rational, we have feelings that need to be respected in civil debate. Needs some subtlety for trolling to be even remotely PC. True trolling is basically online terrorism.

*yes I am trolling

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people these days even know what trolling is......or what it used to be anyway.

No its not saying offensive things for the sake of offending

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is wrong with it

Satire and humour is part of british culture

However, trolling is NOT emotional abuse or harassment . that is a separate thing altogether

ReputationRep:
    it's disrespectful, abusive and hurtful...this is why.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    it's disrespectful, abusive and hurtful...this is why.....
    It isn't

that is emotional abuse and harassment , completely different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    It isn't

True, genuine, malicious trolling is small-scale online terrorism, only a couple of steps below hacking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    It isn't

Erm...this is what trolling is.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    Erm...this is what trolling is.....
    Trolling has always meant to wind up, or make people annoyed. The media almost always now associates it with sending death threats online to someone.

The media is a troll, pretty much all the papers wind people up somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Trolling has always meant to wind up, or make people annoyed. The media almost always now associates it with sending death threats online to someone.

The media is a troll, pretty much all the papers wind people up somehow.
    I don't care about the media. but then this is what trolling is, since winding them up can offend or hurt others....but whatever, i'm not here to discuss semantics...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.