Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure what to put into my first topic. I'll outline what I'm going to be talking about, when I'll update and how things are going right now.

So, I'm going to be 18 on Feb 15th and this is my last year at collage, so I'm sitting my A2 examinations and hoping to do Geology at university. However, my AS results were bad and as a result I had to resit my Geography AS and I've fallen somewhat behind on my studies. I decided that I wanted to do this so that I could really see an honest opinion of how much or how little I've worked. I what to be able to look at this with the grades I get at the end and say "You know what, I did the best I could and I have proof of that!". That means that this topic is going to be the full truth. If I only worked for an hour in the week and spent the rest of it talking to my girlfriend, that's what's going to be written here.
    I'll be writing an update everyday. Sometimes less depending on whether or not I actually have anything to say. I'd rather keep my posts short and sweet, making sure that this topic stays as purely as possible a good source of what I've been doing rather than "Sat and revised for two hours then ate a jaffa cake" every day. I'll write down exactly what I've done, which subjects and I'll post updates on how different exams have gone. I've also started to meditate. I've honestly thought that meditating is a complete waste of time for a very long time, and I'm just starting to give it a go so I'll say how good/bad it is in regards to my studies!

So down to the juicy grades!
    Here are my starting grades;
    Geography AS (A)
    Geography A2 Mock (D)
    Mathematics AS (B)
    Mathematics A2 Mock (D)
    Chemistry AS (C)
    Chemistry A2 Mock (D)

Wish me luck!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Zaros)
    Not really sure what to put into my first topic. I'll outline what I'm going to be talking about, when I'll update and how things are going right now.

So, I'm going to be 18 on Feb 15th and this is my last year at collage, so I'm sitting my A2 examinations and hoping to do Geology at university. However, my AS results were bad and as a result I had to resit my Geography AS and I've fallen somewhat behind on my studies. I decided that I wanted to do this so that I could really see an honest opinion of how much or how little I've worked. I what to be able to look at this with the grades I get at the end and say "You know what, I did the best I could and I have proof of that!". That means that this topic is going to be the full truth. If I only worked for an hour in the week and spent the rest of it talking to my girlfriend, that's what's going to be written here.
    I'll be writing an update everyday. Sometimes less depending on whether or not I actually have anything to say. I'd rather keep my posts short and sweet, making sure that this topic stays as purely as possible a good source of what I've been doing rather than "Sat and revised for two hours then ate a jaffa cake" every day. I'll write down exactly what I've done, which subjects and I'll post updates on how different exams have gone. I've also started to meditate. I've honestly thought that meditating is a complete waste of time for a very long time, and I'm just starting to give it a go so I'll say how good/bad it is in regards to my studies!

So down to the juicy grades!
    Here are my starting grades;
    Geography AS (A)
    Geography A2 Mock (D)
    Mathematics AS (B)
    Mathematics A2 Mock (D)
    Chemistry AS (C)
    Chemistry A2 Mock (D)

Wish me luck!
    Heya :dance: Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with you How has the past week been? How are you feeling about things? What subjects are you feeling good about? What are you finding challenging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Heya :dance: Just thought I'd check in to see how things are going with you How has the past week been? How are you feeling about things? What subjects are you feeling good about? What are you finding challenging?

Firstly I'd like to apologies for my inactivity. In the last week my relationship of three years came to a crashing end and I was left in quite a state. I've been working to try and get my life back together and as such TSR and my studies had to take somewhat of a back seat whilst I got everything back together.

As for my studies, I feel like I've got quite a lot of work to do to catch up with my Geography and my Chemistry, both of which I've missed quite a lot of, however I feel I can probably catch up over the half term. Mathematics on the other hand has been going rather well and I've managed to keep on top of math and use it somewhat of a distraction from everything which has been going on in my life. I'm hoping to get daily post back and running by the coming Monday.

- Zaros.

ReputationRep:
    I've finally sorted out pretty much all the things that were distracting me from my studies, and since today was my first day back at school I thought now would be a good time to write my first official blog entry

So, today was Chemistry, Applied mathematics (Vectors from C4) and Geography.
    Applied mathematics went over all well, and I've not really had any problems getting to terms with it. My mathematics teacher is really good and she's always more than happy to go over things if she's asked. So the whole session went well, and whilst I didn't get any work back from her today I felt the whole vectors topic both from C4 and M1 have gone well and so I'm quite happy with my mathematics progress to date!

Geography was perhaps my weakest subject today. My Geography teacher is very lax, and whilst we get through a lot in class, I fear that I'm not absorbing anywhere near as much as I should be, or at the very least not in the correct amount of depth. I think that tomorrow I might have to put in a chunk of work to try and get on top of where everything with Geography is going.

Chemistry was an odd one today. I started with having missed the homework (stupidly didn't check the online site only that particular teacher uses and so missed his notices) and as continuation missed that I have a test, tomorrow. As a result I came out of the lesson rather beaten down. However, once I got home I managed to get in 4 hours of study, completing the homework but also managing to get 3 hours of revision done for the test. This is no-where near where I would have liked it to have been, but because of the circumstances it was the best I could get, having literally only had an hour of free time to myself today.

In conclusion from today, I've decided that tomorrow I'll be doing some Geography revision and further I'll start checking the homework website once every day before I head to bed. (He's not an insane teacher who wants work in the next day so once a day should give me plenty of warning in future!)

-Zaros

ReputationRep:
    Okay! I'm going to do a quick round off for the week!

Chemistry:
    I had one exam on Tuesday for Chemistry, however the teacher had been ill and as such I haven't been able to find out grade/how it went. My other Chemistry teacher has focused mainly on Organic Chemistry, which combined with Khanacedemy.com has helped me see some significant improvement in my Chemistry Organic knowledge. Over all, Chemistry has been going well, and I feel like I've been making strong progress. I would like to spend next week focusing on Organic chemistry and to do a past paper 4 to see where else might be a weak spot in my knowledge.

Mathematics:
    Overall has been going well. I'm somewhat worried for my C3 re-mock next week (I chose to do it optionally), however I am sure that with a little more revision it will go better that last time. Overall I'm going to be focusing on Differentiation and Connected Bodies, as those are the two topics in C3 and M1 that have been giving me the most difficulty. I'm going to spend an hour working on both them, as well as a past paper of both C3 and M1 to prepare for the mocks on Monday.

Geography:
    Not very much has happened in regards to Geography. I will be making flashcards, and through the study I wanted to do during the week, I have produced papers that were well structured, even if content wasn't quite there. I'll be having a quick test on Wednesday for Geo, so I will use that to tell me how best to proceed.

Overall, I feel this has been a good week, and I'm nervous for next weeks exams, hopeful they will go well, if not I will have to report back and decide on a method to improve for the real thing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.