The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
horrorboy
my internet keeps going off. i restert it then it comes on again but after so long it says 'the page cannot be displayed' i have to keep restarting the comp.
any expert advice
thanks

What is your internet service provider and what package do you have?
Reply 2
horrorboy
my internet keeps going off. i restert it then it comes on again but after so long it says 'the page cannot be displayed' i have to keep restarting the comp.
any expert advice
thanks

umm...i dunno, try searchin for a virus or summin..
Reply 3
wiwarin_mir
What is your internet service provider and what package do you have?

its blueyonder broadband :confused:
Reply 4
I had that too - i just downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy, and removed all of the junk tht my pc was infested with.
It seems to have solved the problem :cool:
Reply 5
neosyko
I had that too - i just downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy, and removed all of the junk tht my pc was infested with.
It seems to have solved the problem :cool:

yeah good idea, just try doing all the fixers...like virus, scan disk, defragment and spy bot. and try to repair intenet explorer./.
Reply 7
Pencil Queen

thanks loads it scanning now
Reply 8
i think it could be the msblast virus, as sasser shuts down the system rather than interfering with IE
Reply 9
oh i hate bloody viruses!! and those sados that make them..get soem friends!!
Oh and if it's a problem with IE you can always try downloading http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ mozilla firefox to browse with (and download fixes/patches with) until IE is sorted.
Reply 11
oh pencil queen you little computer nerd... :wink:
Pencil Queen
Oh and if it's a problem with IE you can always try downloading http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ mozilla firefox to browse with (and download fixes/patches with) until IE is sorted.

I never use IE any more, I really cannot live without tabbed browsing.
Fly By
oh i hate bloody viruses!! and those sados that make them..get soem friends!!

You have to remember that the code monkies that viruses have friends, other code monkies.
Reply 14
Pencil Queen

Or better still, download Mozilla Firefox and don't look back! While you're at it, you might as well upgrade your system to Linux. :wink:
Reply 15
wiwarin_mir
You have to remember that the code monkies that viruses have friends, other code monkies.

lol yeah but virtual friends dont count....lol:biggrin:

...whats tabbed browsing?
Reply 16
Fly By
lol yeah but virtual friends dont count....lol:biggrin:

...whats tabbed browsing?

Instead of using multiple windows, you have many pages open simultaneously in tabs in the same window, so it's much more convenient for flipping between pages. It's really useful to open up links in new tabs as you read a web page, which you can then investigate later. Doing this with loads of windows is just inconvenient and messy although MS stand by their philosophy that "tabbed GUIs are badly designed GUIs", and this is apparently why IE has not seen tabbed browsing yet (not exactly a difficult thing to implement!).
Reply 17
rahaydenuk
Or better still, download Mozilla Firefox and don't look back! While you're at it, you might as well upgrade your system to Linux. :wink:

Quick Linux question for you: if there's an entry for my CD drive in my /etc/fstab file, I shouldn't have to mount it right? So should I be able to see its contents in /mnt/cdrom? The folder's empty :/
rahaydenuk

but for most people, they wouldn't be able to do much with linux, they prefer to compatibility of windows.
rahaydenuk
Instead of using multiple windows, you have many pages open simultaneously in tabs in the same window, so it's much more convenient for flipping between pages. It's really useful to open up links in new tabs as you read a web page, which you can then investigate later. Doing this with loads of windows is just inconvenient and messy although MS stand by their philosophy that "tabbed GUIs are badly designed GUIs", and this is apparently why IE has not seen tabbed browsing yet (not exactly a difficult thing to implement!).

Not really, MS just wants to consume as much memory as possible by making you open a window for each different screen you want to look at. It makes everything seem slow, making you want to upgrade either your hardware or OS.

Latest

Trending

Trending