Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Instead of using multiple windows, you have many pages open simultaneously in tabs in the same window, so it's much more convenient for flipping between pages. It's really useful to open up links in new tabs as you read a web page, which you can then investigate later. Doing this with loads of windows is just inconvenient and messy although MS stand by their philosophy that "tabbed GUIs are badly designed GUIs", and this is apparently why IE has not seen tabbed browsing yet (not exactly a difficult thing to implement!).
    oh that sounds useful!! coz i always have loads of IE open and it grups itself!!

so is mozilla free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    oh that sounds useful!! coz i always have loads of IE open and it grups itself!!

so is mozilla free?
    yep, and it's the base of netscape, if you've ever used that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Quick Linux question for you: if there's an entry for my CD drive in my /etc/fstab file, I shouldn't have to mount it right? So should I be able to see its contents in /mnt/cdrom? The folder's empty :/
    Yeah the idea of fstab is for the kernel to mount the listed devices automatically. Can you mount it manually using mount (something like 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/whatever /mnt/cdrom -o ro')? What do you have as your fstab entry for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    yep, and it's the base of netscape, if you've ever used that.
    no, i heard of it but had always used IE.

does mozilla have any adverts or spywares? coz i hate them!.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the idea of fstab is for the kernel to mount the listed devices automatically. Can you mount it manually using mount (something like 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/whatever /mnt/cdrom -o ro')? What do you have as your fstab entry for it?
    The fstab entry:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

Yep, mounting it manually works.

ReputationRep:
    no, i heard of it but had always used IE.

does mozilla have any adverts or spywares? coz i hate them!.
    none what so ever, it is completely clean. I would use firefox as it loads a lot quicker and has more feature support.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of using multiple windows, you have many pages open simultaneously in tabs in the same window, so it's much more convenient for flipping between pages. It's really useful to open up links in new tabs as you read a web page, which you can then investigate later. Doing this with loads of windows is just inconvenient and messy although MS stand by their philosophy that "tabbed GUIs are badly designed GUIs", and this is apparently why IE has not seen tabbed browsing yet (not exactly a difficult thing to implement!).
    whats the difference between that and the taskbar?

ReputationRep:
    Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape also come with a popup blocker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    whats the difference between that and the taskbar?
    Not much, but believe me, the tabbed interface is so much better (it's hard to put your finger on exactly why though).

ReputationRep:
    none what so ever, it is completely clean. I would use firefox as it loads a lot quicker and has more feature support.
    what is firebox?

ReputationRep:
    what is firebox?
    a more streamlined version of mozilla

ReputationRep:
    a more streamlined version of mozilla
    but it does everything mozilla does right?

ReputationRep:
    but it does everything mozilla does right?
    and some. mozilla will not let you view picture attachments on UKL, firefox does. Mozilla won't show gif animations, firefox does.

ReputationRep:
    and some. mozilla will not let you view picture attachments on UKL, firefox does. Mozilla won't show gif animations, firefox does.
    Mozilla shows gif animations fine (I can see your avatar and it blinks!) and does usually let you view picture attachments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Mozilla shows gif animations fine (I can see your avatar and it blinks!) and does usually let you view picture attachments...
    interesting, mine doesn't for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    hmm.........i think i'll just stick with internet explorer...

ReputationRep:
    IE shows everything

ReputationRep:
    hmm.........i think i'll just stick with internet explorer...
    your loss, I personally would never go back to IE.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Or better still, download Mozilla Firefox and don't look back! While you're at it, you might as well upgrade your system to Linux.
    I have a history with Linux and Unix boxes in general. It was my ability to crash 4 unix boxes in succession* that convinced me that maybe CS wasn't for me.

*and very shiftily leaving the lab before anyone noticed

ReputationRep:
    interesting, mine doesn't for some reason.
    Weird. One thing I don't like is that some pages still don't display properly (eg. the "Reply to thread" one). I rarely use IE now though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.