Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for this course this year (2015) as my firm choice and was looking for others who have. If there is anyone who lives in Bradford or has studied here, could you tell me what its like? In terms of atmosphere, safety, shopping, people etc. Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved from Uni Life to Uni of Bradford forum.

ReputationRep:
    Main campus is ten mins walk from the city centre, nice and central. City centre is an odd mix of modern cultural development and dereliction, like they got part way through rebuilding it and ran out of money. Usual mix of standard restaurant/coffee chains. Major ethnic presence, so a good range of small independent restaurants/cafes. Great choice of top notch curry houses serving some of the best curries I've ever eaten. Felt safe walking round the city centre, although a Russian restaurant I liked has been firebombed out of business since I was there, so it's not all sunshine and roses. Didn't strike me as being anything special in terms of shopping, but then I didn't have spare cash for clothes etc., so didn't pay much attention to that aspect. Much more interested in spending on food!

Arch dept not in a great state. Recently removed from a dedicated building (albeit not in a great condition) and shoehorned into a modern block which doesn't sound particularly appropriate, with subjects not directly related. Postgrad community doesn't sound that happy about the move (but do postgrads ever sound happy?). Head of dept has hired his brother - make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sparrow 96 Bradford is actually a great place to study archaeology. If you haven't been already you should soon receive an invite to an Applicant Visit Day where you will get to meet current students, staff and get involved in some hands-on workshops. You will also have a tour of the teaching and research facilities. You can watch some of the current students here: http://www.bradford.ac.uk/life-scien...i/ug-profiles/

School of Archaeological Sciences will be relocating to build on the strengths with chemistry, forensics and medical sciences i.e. those students who study human osteology and forensic archaeology as part of their degree.

And we got some great results in the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) where Bradford came 3rd for the impact of its research.

If you have any questions about your application or anything else just get in touch - [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Main campus is ten mins walk from the city centre, nice and central. City centre is an odd mix of modern cultural development and dereliction, like they got part way through rebuilding it and ran out of money.
    The infamous Bradford hole in the ground! A new shopping centre in Bradford has been a work in progress for a long time and subject to seemingly never ending delays. The contractors finally started construction proper last year and it's due to open this Autumn.

Westfield's promo website

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.