Turn on thread page Beta

Hi i am just curious about, how you guys felt after doing your exams?
    I mean after you did a particular exam did u think straight away "yup thats another guaranteed A*/A/B" or were you surpriced when you got your results?
    This is because i have just finished my gcse's and just having mixed feeling on specific papers and just curious

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A*'s, 4 A's, 3 B's and a C. The C was my last exam, and having just been dumped by my first semi-real gf my mind was a million miles away and I answered exactly half the paper... so a C wasn't too bad! But it was in classical civilisation and that doesn't really count anyway!

Umm well I came out all my exams pretty confident. The ones I was most confident about I tended to get A's in as opposed to A*'s and the papers I thought I found a bit harder I tended to get A*'s in as opposed to anything less.

All my B's came in subjects I knew I was weak at. English lit, RS and french. I did better in more scientific subjects, maths etc.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A*s and 5 A's at GCSE. You can never be too sure. There are papers where you know it great and yes good grade, some you think went great and didnt, bad ones that come out good and bad, you can actually never be 100% sure!
    Do not panic! There's nothing you can do but wait :-) Be happy and have fun! Ive just finished my a-levels and should listen to myself and relax!

i got 7A*'s and 2B's and was pretty confident in every exam, i got B's in French and IT which were not my strongest subjects and i knew that i would be gettin around a b for them

I got 6 A*s and 4 A's but I really couldn't tell after the exams. By the time it got to results day I'd convinced myself I was gonna get Cs in half of my subjects so funnily enough I was dead pleased. I really don't think u can tell. On the other hand though u know when an exams been a complete disaster.
    xxxx

i got 10A*and 1A,never ever thought i did that well.GCSEs were piss neway

ReputationRep:
    All my GCSEs were A* and although I got nervous and stuff and worried about questions I'd thought I'd fluffed, I was pretty confident overall at getting that sort of results due to how I had done on mock and sample papers.

After the exams I remember stressing endlessly about silly things like whether I had answered the right number of questions.

I got 3A*'s, 3A's, 4B's and 2 C's. My 2 C's were Biology and tech, and I knew those exams had gone badly. But the A*'s I kinda knew I had done that well. My top grades were a mixture of subjects as well, for example A*'s were maths, chemistry and geography, and the A's were French, Physics and English Lit. But basically you never know...

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 A*s, 6 As + a B. i thought i had done dreadfully, seriously i cried + told my mum that i had no idea how to answer the questions + that she could go get my results because i didn't want to have to tell her... i got a lovely suprise.
    People think i'm kidding when i say i think i've done rubbish, but i honestly do, i make sillly mistakes + i don't read questions properly so i never know whetehr i did ok or not. the only one i was confident with was my french oral + that was because i was suddenly able to speak this strange language + the teacher told me she was dead chuffed with it.
    i'm now going through a similar stage with my AS levels- i just really really hope that it has a similar outcome (but am seriously doubting it)

I got 7 A* and 2 Bs. Bs in Literature and Economics, grr.

Anyway, GCSEs are extremely easy and to answer your question, most of the time I actually did think that I would get A* after walking out of those exams. It may be that I was being overconfident at that time, but in actual fact they are relatively easy exams. They were also very generous on time too, especially mathematics and the sciences.

If you have mixed feelings, don't worry, some people tend to be a little pessimistic and focus on those minor errors which they've made after walking out of exams. It depends on personality. I guess these people can be classified as perfectionists. It doesn't do much good though since it stresses you out and might weaken your performance on following exams. Though during results day, these people usually so pretty well, A*'s and all, so it's probably a good sign.

However, things change dramatically during A-levels. They are much harder and have strict time constraints. From personal experience, how you think you did is normally not far from the truth. So to do well, you must be much more prepared. Comparing GCSEs, half of those exams, many people can just walk in with a few hour's worth of revision and can ace it straight away. At A-level, this is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in here seems to have done so much better than me. Of course, i went into my exams half asleep, and without any revision whatever (as well as a couple drunk), so i got A*, 4B's and 5C's.

I was surprised my results were so bad to be honest.
    I somehow got a B in French though, which was unexpected, as the highest grade on the paper i did was a C?

Now that there are AS levels, it really defeats the whole purpose of having GCSEs. In the olden days, people used to apply to universities with only GCSE grades and A-level predictions (usually inaccurate and dodgy). Now that there are AS levels, universities look at grades for those instead, basically scrapping GCSEs. All they look for are English Language, Math and whether you have 5 subject passes now. So, don't put too much thought into GCSEs, they actually don't really matter that much nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I think u may be wrong there. I did not state my AS results on my UCAS form as my skool doesn't cash them in (and I know this is the case with many other skools too) . Therefore they must still look at GCSE results.

Originally posted by La_la_la
    I think u may be wrong there. I did not state my AS results on my UCAS form as my skool doesn't cash them in (and I know this is the case with many other skools too) . Therefore they must still look at GCSE results.
    But teachers write the subject grades obtained at AS, along with predicted ones on the UCAS reference anyway, so there isn't much of a difference. Admissions tutors mainly look at those.

ReputationRep:
    but how can they if you havnt finnished your as, because most people resit at least one module in jan to boost theyre marks???

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I thought that although AS levels were very important, GCSEs still matter a lot. My school didn't cash them all in either, although the marks you got would count towards the predicted grade.

Universities look at GCSE grades, and they show what you can do - tested not predicted. Even if you are predicted three As, the unis won't be impressed if you've got a load of Cs and Ds in your GCSEs - it'd make you look lazy, like you haven't tried to work to your potential.

I think I read in the Telegraph once that some very popular courses like law and english at Nottingham and Warwick will not even consider you if you don't have A or above in maths or english GCSE.

I suppose the more competitive the course and the more academic it is, the more likely they are the knock you off because of bad GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but also, if you were predicted good grades at gcse and didnt get them, they'll just put it down to stress and still consider you. if you were predicted c's and d's at gcse and got them, they aint likely to have you on a top accademic course coz your not likely to get a's at a-level becuase they are soooooo much harder.

love Katy ***

yo guys the guy just wanted to know peoples past experiences on how they thought after the gcse exams, thats all

Originally posted by ickle_katy
    but how can they if you havnt finnished your as, because most people resit at least one module in jan to boost theyre marks???

love Katy ***
    once you do your AS level you decide whether to accept your final grade and resit in order to boost your A2 or decline the grade and resit to boost AS and A2. if you accepted you have an AS grade to write down even if you are resitting as your retake mark only affects your A2 mark. if you declined the grade you have to state this on UCAS form and some uni's will inevitably ask why you have done so.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.