Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wear the hijab and everyone on the tube stares at me :/ Watch

ReputationRep:
    I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
    I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you do seem paranoid. It is an unspoken rule on the tube that you must stare at your feet or your newspaper at all times, and you are not allowed to speak to, or make eye contact with, anyone else. I doubt they were threatened by you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by prettyGirl101)
    I live in london and everytime im on the tube to work/school (in the mornings and evenings when i leave), I feel like the people on the train (who are mostly white) stare at me and even feel like maybe they think i'm a threat to them :/ idk if im being paranoid but do other muslim girls (who wear hijab) feel like this?
    I guess i just feel uneasy and the odd one out. I live in a multi-cultural area so as soon as im in my local area, i feel automatically at ease
    As an experiment, why don't you go out one day dressed in a fairly conservative western style - trousers, sensible shoes, no make up, coat - and compare the reactions with and without the hijab.

I will bet anything you go completely unnoticed.

The dilemma is that in the west, hijabs are very unusual and Islam has attracted a lot of media attention so people are going to stare. It's only natural.

Does not mean they think you are a threat, but it does make you different in the same way that say someone dressing outrageously to deliberately attract attention does.

Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    As an experiment, why don't you go out one day dressed in a fairly conservative western style - trousers, sensible shoes, no make up, coat - and compare the reactions with and without the hijab.

I will bet anything you go completely unnoticed.

The dilemma is that in the west, hijabs are very unusual and Islam has attracted a lot of media attention so people are going to stare. It's only natural.

Does not mean they think you are a threat, but it does make you different in the same way that say someone dressing outrageously to deliberately attract attention does.

Wearing western clothes will actually give you the protection from unwanted attention that the hijab ironically attracts.
    Have you ever been to London?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    ALL of London is a multi-cultural area. If you were talking about Norfolk then I'd say fair enough, people might look because it's unusual to them, but the hijab is such a common sight in all of London I can't help but think you're just paranoid.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Have you ever been to London?
    I lived in London for 20+ years. It has changed (not for the better) and that's putting it mildly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    ALL of London is a multi-cultural area.
    I'm inclined to agree. Every day I use the tube and every day I see women with hijabs. Nobody really takes much notice of anybody else on the tube.

ReputationRep:
    I think they do definitely consider the possibility that you could be a threat, but don't necessarily think you as an individual are. That doesn't mean they don't consider the possibility, and they probably also are wary of anyone dressing in a conservative Islamic style, especially if some of them remember 7/7 etc.

However that is probably a long shot and I think you maybe slightly paranoid/insecure over this issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    I think they do definitely consider the possibility that you could be a threat, but don't necessarily think you as an individual are. That doesn't mean they don't consider the possibility, and they probably also are wary of anyone dressing in a conservative Islamic style, especially if some of them remember 7/7 etc.

However that is probably a long shot and I think you maybe slightly paranoid/insecure over this issue
    I dunno I mean I remember Anders Breivik and I don't stare at white men

ReputationRep:
    I get people glancing back at me and I don't even wear a hijab, if that makes you feel any better

ReputationRep:
    All in your mind. No one on the tube cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by молодой гений)
    I dunno I mean I remember Anders Breivik and I don't stare at white men
    My cousin won't get into the back of taxis with Pakistani men so I know how you feel tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No one cares.

Especially in London

ReputationRep:
    I feel this way too, i make it a point to smile at people like "im not going to harm you" but it's probably also us feeling insecure and feeling like outcasts because of islam and muslims and terrorism being in the news highlighted atm. We feel like everyone is painting us with the same brush, i do anyway. In my head i know it's not the reality but it never comes out like that. When you're around accepting people, who understand you and your scarf these thoughts dont come to your head but going to places with people who dont understand, for me at School on the bus..in the shops, for you on the tube...it's hard not to feel this way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    I lived in London for 20+ years. It has changed (not for the better) and that's putting it mildly.
    Yeh, we get it.

You don't like foreigners blah blah blah.

You don't need to make **** up about people caring about the hjab

ReputationRep:
    You are paranoid no one cares if you wear hijab and it's none of their business anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!! You completely understand
    (Original post by Lulu24)
    I feel this way too, i make it a point to smile at people like "im not going to harm you" but it's probably also us feeling insecure and feeling like outcasts because of islam and muslims and terrorism being in the news highlighted atm. We feel like everyone is painting us with the same brush, i do anyway. In my head i know it's not the reality but it never comes out like that. When you're around accepting people, who understand you and your scarf these thoughts dont come to your head but going to places with people who dont understand, for me at School on the bus..in the shops, for you on the tube...it's hard not to feel this way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    ALL of London is a multi-cultural area. If you were talking about Norfolk then I'd say fair enough, people might look because it's unusual to them, but the hijab is such a common sight in all of London I can't help but think you're just paranoid.
    Yeah but i take the piccadilly line in the mornings and 98% of the commuters are white

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess im just paranoid
    Doesnt help that roughly 97% of the commuters are white though

(Original post by Arkasia)
    Yeah, you do seem paranoid. It is an unspoken rule on the tube that you must stare at your feet or your newspaper at all times, and you are not allowed to speak to, or make eye contact with, anyone else. I doubt they were threatened by you.

(Original post by neal95)

(Original post by Clip)
    All in your mind. No one on the tube cares.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess im just paranoid
    Doesnt help that roughly 97% of the commuters are white though
    No, it doesn't help.

In fact, it doesn't make the slightest difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.