Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to combine my language studies at university with either business management or politics but I don't know whether it's possible.

Should I have studied Business Studies or Government and Politics?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because business and politics aren't courses which require facilitating subjects (I.e. subjects at A-level you need for certain degrees).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mariana da Costa)
    I wanted to combine my language studies at university with either business management or politics but I don't know whether it's possible.

Should I have studied Business Studies or Government and Politics?
    Generally, people don't study politics at A Level, so you should be fine to take that up for a degree. However, business studies is becoming more and more popular, so you might be at a disadvantage if you haven't studied that before. You'll need to check uni entrance requirements carefully.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it would be OK. Just to make sure though, have a look at the entry requirements and prerequisites for the universities you want to apply to. If you are in any doubt, email the admissions department at the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Generally, people don't study politics at A Level, so you should be fine to take that up for a degree. However, business studies is becoming more and more popular, so you might be at a disadvantage if you haven't studied that before. You'll need to check uni entrance requirements carefully.
    That's great thank you, I'm just really confused because I have checked the majority of the entry requirements for BA Modern Languages and Business Management and all of them just simply say I require an A level in the language I am studying in which of course I'm a bit uncertain about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coombsy)
    I would have thought it would be OK. Just to make sure though, have a look at the entry requirements and prerequisites for the universities you want to apply to. If you are in any doubt, email the admissions department at the university.
    That's great thank you, I'm just really confused because I have checked the majority of the entry requirements for BA Business Management and Modern Languages, and all of them just simply say I require an A level in the language I am studying in which of course I'm a bit uncertain about.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni and course. Sometimes in the description on the course that having studied a subject previously is required or desired. I think you should be fine with the course you want to do? But I'd double check with the course description.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.