The Student Room Group

Why would my application have been unsuccessful, withdrawn or declined ??

I applied for a nursing course at the University of Leeds and I've received my offer and I've been unsuccessful and withdrawn. It states on track that if I want to know why I'm to contact the university.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to why before I contact them. Is it because I've done something wrong on my application? Kinda freaking out, because I've never not received an offer before.
Because they preferred other candidates over you
Original post by anonwinner
Because they preferred other candidates over you

lol... duh. :colondollar:

I get that, I'm just worried that I've done something wrong on my application. This is the first time I'm not applying through college so I'm a lil on edge.

Thank you that actually makes me feel loads better. :smile:
Did you get the offer and then get rejected afterwards? I got rejected from Leeds and e-mailed them asking for the reason or my rejection but they didn't reply :/ it wasn't my first or second choice but still...would have been good to know why. It may be due to your AS grades because mine weren't the best, but then again, I have received offers from other places that were more competitive than Leeds.

Where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 4
call the uni
Reply 5
Original post by AliyaHussain
lol... duh. :colondollar:

I get that, I'm just worried that I've done something wrong on my application. This is the first time I'm not applying through college so I'm a lil on edge.

Thank you that actually makes me feel loads better. :smile:

Usually, if it's something obviously wrong they will contact you to ask for the correct information.

You can contact them and ask for feedback. They may just say something generic like "you didn't meet our requirements" but they might highlight a weakness in your application. Think carefully before doing this - do you actually want to be told?
Original post by Juno
Usually, if it's something obviously wrong they will contact you to ask for the correct information.

You can contact them and ask for feedback. They may just say something generic like "you didn't meet our requirements" but they might highlight a weakness in your application. Think carefully before doing this - do you actually want to be told?

If there is a weakness in my application such as personal statement, it's a little too late to change anything. I think I might wait until another one of my choices gets back to me before I give them a call.
Most likely it's that I didn't meet their requirements, I dunno, I think i'd rather not know.

:confused:
Original post by JohnNaran
call the uni

I'm trying to avoid that for as long as possible...
Reply 8
If there is a weakness in my application such as personal statement, it's a little too late to change anything. I think I might wait until another one of my choices gets back to me before I give them a call.
Most likely it's that I didn't meet their requirements, I dunno, I think i'd rather not know.

:confused:

You can view your application on Track, so have a look through to check you didn't miss anything. Is your educational history correct? Have you accidentally missed a subject? You say you're not applying through college, so that suggests a gap year - have you included any resits if necessary? Did you accidentally tick you have a criminal conviction?
Original post by Juno
You can view your application on Track, so have a look through to check you didn't miss anything. Is your educational history correct? Have you accidentally missed a subject? You say you're not applying through college, so that suggests a gap year - have you included any resits if necessary? Did you accidentally tick you have a criminal conviction?

The crimincal conviction bit was the first thing I thought of, but it was undeclared, and I'm sure that's how it's supposed to be.
I don't know, I'm so confused... I seem to me questioning everything. I'm such a wreck. :redface: trying to stay positive though.

There's always clearing... I have the grades so I don't know.. must have been my Personal statement.

Can I make changes on Track? such as adding in subjects etc?
Reply 10
The crimincal conviction bit was the first thing I thought of, but it was undeclared, and I'm sure that's how it's supposed to be.
I don't know, I'm so confused... I seem to me questioning everything. I'm such a wreck. :redface: trying to stay positive though.

There's always clearing... I have the grades so I don't know.. must have been my Personal statement.

Can I make changes on Track? such as adding in subjects etc?

You can add in subjects if you have missed something out, but you can't do it on Track. You need to email [email protected] with all the details, including your personal ID.
Original post by Juno
You can add in subjects if you have missed something out, but you can't do it on Track. You need to email [email protected] with all the details, including your personal ID.

Thank you I've just figured out why they refused me.
Urgh complete duh moment. I've just realised why I've been refused. Oh god it's such a LOL moment as well. Entry requirements; they wanted a C in Chemistry. I didn't take chemistry at A level. there goes a wasted choice. I could have applied some place more appropriate.

Stay in school kids! :colondollar:
rookie mistake mate.
Why did they refuse you? I'm going through the same thing you did.
Contact them
Original post by Alisha300
Contact them

I sent an email but there's no reply yet. Do you have any idea why it was unsuccessful? I don't even know what it means
Original post by Lisabestman
I sent an email but there's no reply yet. Do you have any idea why it was unsuccessful? I don't even know what it means

This is usually when you don’t meet some sort of requirement (predicted grades too low) etc or they have picked another candidate over you i think. I got this from UOB last year and they never emailed a reason so the best way to know exactly why is to ask them. Hope that helps
Original post by Alisha300
This is usually when you don’t meet some sort of requirement (predicted grades too low) etc or they have picked another candidate over you i think. I got this from UOB last year and they never emailed a reason so the best way to know exactly why is to ask them. Hope that helps

Yeah thanks. I still have time to add another course so I think that's what I'll do

Quick Reply

Latest