Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am 19 and i have decided University is not right for me and I want to do an apprenticeship. My qualifications are:

A level English - C
    A level BTEC Business Studies - M*
    A level BTEC ICT - D*

And i have done GCSE's aswell. So what level of apprenticeship do i apply to? And are apprenticeships good? How can you tell which apprenticeship is good and which ones are bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by maxi365)
    Hi, i am 19 and i have decided University is not right for me and I want to do an apprenticeship. My qualifications are:

A level English - C
    A level BTEC ICT - D*

And i have done GCSE's aswell. So what level of apprenticeship do i apply to? And are apprenticeships good? How can you tell which apprenticeship is good and which ones are bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most apprenticeships are good. There arent really any bad ones.
    What sort of career area are you interested in?

Look at the official apprenticeships website to find out more info and look for apprenticeship vacancies in your area.
    https://www.gov.uk/further-education...pprenticeships

ReputationRep:

A level English - C
    A level BTEC ICT - D*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Usually with school leaver apprenticeships you can tell if they're worth doing if the employer offers to pay for you to do a qualification alongside it, however you are qualified to Level 3 (A level) so you can apply for 'Higher Apprenticeships' which usually pay good money and can end up putting you through a degree level qualification like a HND or a Foundation degree.

What sort of field do you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Usually with school leaver apprenticeships you can tell if they're worth doing if the employer offers to pay for you to do a qualification alongside it, however you are qualified to Level 3 (A level) so you can apply for 'Higher Apprenticeships' which usually pay good money and can end up putting you through a degree level qualification like a HND or a Foundation degree.

What sort of field do you want to go into?
    I always wanted something to do with cars or business. Which one do you think will be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted something to do with cars or business. Which one do you think will be better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If its Engineering you're looki g to do then the higher apprenticeshipa can be quite competitive for example Rolls Royce offer a really good one that allows you to earn a good wage as well as studying towards a bachelors/masters degree in Engineering (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but to get onto it you need to have studied relevent subjects before i.e Maths/Physics A level or BTEC Engineering. And I'm sure this will be the case for a lot of similar ones

However Business/Management higher apprenticeships usually don't require any particular field of study, normally they just ask for UCAS points of which you have 300 which is normally the standard for a decent apprenticeship, have a look at CGI(logica) they do a sponsored degree program which looks really good! You can do either Business Management or IT Management (both you have qualifications in) and I believe that they also require 300 UCAS points, I think they pay about 13k per year (for 3 years) on top of that they pay your tuition fees to study for a degree in either Business Management or IT with Business Management, its really worth a look.

Hope this helps you at all

ReputationRep:
    The problem is I've seen this vehicle body repair apprenticeship and i quite like it, but it's intermediate level and pays £109 a week. With the qualifications I've got i can do better than this and get paid more but I've always been interested in cars. Should i leave it as I'm over-qualified?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed a Sponsored Degree with a company called CGI and have just graduated. I know they also now to higher apprenticeships so I would highly recommend having a look at their website. The starting salary for the degree is £14k so it definitely worth having a look.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative

A level English - C
    A level BTEC ICT - D*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello!

At Aon we offer 3 different Apprenticeship Programmes that cover Insurance, Actuary and Consulting parts of the business. They are based across the UK and are designed as an alternative to University. We provide candidates with the opportunity to continue studying and gain professional qualifications, all while receiving on the job training and a decent salary + benefits (£16k-£18k dependent on stream and locations)

Applications for next years intake are now open, and further details can be found at www.aonearlycareers.co.uk

I hope that helps, but if you have any follow up questions at all, don't be afraid to ask

Thanks!

Rosie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 24, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.