The Student Room Group

Congratulations to the Greek left! The movement against austerity....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ha, that's a great cartoon. :smile:

I'm waiting to see to what extent Syriza has 'sold out' on their return. Is it a real sell-out, can it be packaged as only a partial sell-out and will their coalition and party fracture now if it really is a sell-out?

Exciting times.

Their were hints earlier in the week that the finance minister had accepted a deal but was told on the phone to reject it. It does imply that the finance minister at least (the bald guy) probably was told not to play hard ball too much and just see what he could extract.
Original post by Rakas21
Their were hints earlier in the week that the finance minister had accepted a deal but was told on the phone to reject it. It does imply that the finance minister at least (the bald guy) probably was told not to play hard ball too much and just see what he could extract.

Yanis Varoufakis :tongue:

The erratic Marxist

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/feb/18/yanis-varoufakis-how-i-became-an-erratic-marxist
(edited 9 years ago)

The most famous well-dressed and good looking radical economist on the planet. :lol:

He's really hot actually. :love:
The most famous well-dressed and good looking radical economist on the planet. :lol:

Radical leftists is an aphrodisiac for me :tongue: If only I was gay :moon:

I like how he turns up dressed in smart casual stuff with untucked shirt when meeting Osbourne and other suit wearing pillocks. :tongue: Wonder what it is like being told what to do by someone whos' most relevant qualification for economics is O-level maths when you are a high flying economics academic.
(edited 9 years ago)

David Cameron will be getting jealous....
I suppose I don't think much because I'm straight although I do think Evan Davis on Dragons Den is immaculately dressed.
Original post by Thomas2
David Cameron will be getting jealous....

He'll be too worried right now about the bank account in Panama coming to light. Not to mention ending up in prison like many of his Chipping Norton chums.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Radical leftists is an aphrodisiac for me :tongue: If only I was gay :moon:

I like how he turns up dressed in smart casual stuff with untucked shirt when meeting Osbourne and other suit wearing pillocks. :tongue: Wonder what it is like being told what to do by someone whos' most relevant qualification for economics is O-level maths when you are a high flying economics academic.

Ha, yeah, he made Gideon look like a sad little boy. :giggle:

I mean, omg, wowza. :awesome:

He'll be too worried right now about the bank account in Panama coming to light. Not to mention ending up in prison like many of his Chipping Norton chums.

Not to mention Ben and Pete, oh and GG...
if only my country had said the same instead of bending over.
Well I voted for Syriza with the hope it will **** up the austerity policies led my Merkel .Let's see how it fairs.For the time being I am just waiting to see whether they would manage to end austerity in Greece.Unemployment is a major issue also.Anyhow Tsipras seems decent.

Btw Varoufakis is definitely gay.I mean my gaydar tells me he is :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silverbolt
if only my country had said the same instead of bending over.

Ireland does seem to be the role model for meek, although tbf, a lot of people kicked up a lot of fuss, there has been a lot of civil disobedience. I think the most glaring thing about the Ireland situation is the extent to which the interests and personal wealth of bankers and the investors in banks have been put so far ahead of an entire country, especially given the cowboy nature of much of the bank lending.

It's only a matter of degree though between Ireland and the UK. There have been almost no prosecutions of bankers here, despite much very obvious criminal conduct. Apparently, if a bank commits a crime, that is something they will always pay a fine for, regardless of intent.
Original post by Psych34
Well I voted for Syriza with the hope it will f@ck up the austerity policies led my Merkel .Let's see how it fairs.For the time being I am just waiting to see whether they would manage to end austerity in Greece.Unemployment is a major issue also.Anyhow Tsipras seems decent.

Btw Varoufakis is definitely gay.I mean my gaydar tells me he is :colondollar:

You know he has a daughter right? And this is his wife. I'm not saying you're bound to be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

You know he has a daughter right? And this is his wife. I'm not saying you're bound to be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

Yep I know he has a wife.However he is in his 50's and Greek.A very slim minority of middle-aged Greek men who are gay/bi are actually out.They prefer their closets.

Besides I ve lost count regarding the number of married men I ve had sex with in Greece :smile: Anyhow I cant really explain it but my gaydar or gut feeling say he is 100% gay.I can feel it somehow.Not that a gaydar is actually something real or objective but I reckon I have good experience with gay men.
(edited 9 years ago)

Enough to keep many men in the closet.
Original post by Rakas21
Enough to keep many men in the closet.

Ha, that's so mean, she's beautiful.

No accounting for taste with guys. :rolleyes:
Ha, that's so mean, she's beautiful.

No accounting for taste with guys. :rolleyes:

That was the point. She's enough to keep men straight and therefore in the closet.
Original post by Rakas21
That was the point. She's enough to keep men straight and therefore in the closet.

That seems quite complicated. :giggle:

Going back to the crisis, what do people think of this article?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/22/can-a-parallel-digital-currency-solve-the-greek-financial-crisis

Is it right, could a digital bitcoin-equivalent be used by Greece to get itself out of the mess?
That seems quite complicated. :giggle:

Going back to the crisis, what do people think of this article?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/22/can-a-parallel-digital-currency-solve-the-greek-financial-crisis

Is it right, could a digital bitcoin-equivalent be used by Greece to get itself out of the mess?

It's an innovative idea but it relies firstly on the state calculating correctly how much it wants in circulation and not playing politics with it and secondly it relies on sufficient demand in the market. It's not without risk and is also another can kick unless Greece actually creates a productive economy. The tax bit of it also depends on accurate economic forecasts so is not without risk.

Frankly i'm very wary of Bitcoin, the rapid changes in value are representative of just how important central banks are to act as a stable force.
Original post by Rakas21
It's an innovative idea but it relies firstly on the state calculating correctly how much it wants in circulation and not playing politics with it and secondly it relies on sufficient demand in the market. It's not without risk and is also another can kick unless Greece actually creates a productive economy. The tax bit of it also depends on accurate economic forecasts so is not without risk.

Frankly i'm very wary of Bitcoin, the rapid changes in value are representative of just how important central banks are to act as a stable force.

Yes, I thought that article seemed unduly optimistic about the stability of any digital currency, there seemed to be no reason to me why it couldn't also abruptly devalue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending