Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hello all,
    i have a question about applications to unis in general in Europe. I have lived in Ireland when I was very young (until 3) and have Irish and Dutch passports as these are my parents' nationalities. I know I am an international student in the UK, but do I qualify for home tuition fees anywhere, or as an EU student? I currently study abroad as an expatriate, and have done for 10+ years (outside of Europe).

    Thanx a lot for any advice or insight!


    Not sure if our cases are similar or not.. but I'll be studying in the UK next year as an Italian citizen, but because I've lived in Canada before starting uni I still have to pay international fees. Most of the unis want you to be living in the EU for three years before you start your degree.

    There may be some places that don't have the three year living requirement, but I'm not aware of them.

    Hope this helps a bit

    If you have lived outside UK/EU for more than three years then you will be classed as an Overseas fee payer - unless you/your parents can show they were paying UK/EU tax during that time. If you have been living outside the EU on something like an emigrant visa (Canada, Australia etc) then you are deemed to have made a decision to be Overseas. There are other exceptions to this rule but the 3 year rule is the basic bit for ALL UK Unis. Other EU countries ight have different rules but all will insist on a term of recent residency 'for purposes other than education' (ie. work) as qualification.

    Most UK Unis wont discuss your fee status until they make you an offer (because otherwise they'd waste hours assessing peolpe who wont ever come to their Uni) so all you can do is apply and state your Fee status as Unknown. They will then contact you once they have made you an Offer to determine your Fee status.

    PS> If you have Irish or Dutch nationality and the right to live/work in the EU, you could just decide to live/work in the EU for 3 years and then you would certainly be eligible for Home fees.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.